Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 04:36 PM

2 posts, read 11,944 times

Advertisements

My 4 year son fell in to a table and lost his top two front teeth. We have an appointment for pedo-partials for him.

I know it mainly comes down to aesthetics, but I also want him to be able to eat as properly as possible, not have any potential speech issues and, yes, for appearance reasons also. He still has another possibly upwards of four years before his permanent teeth come in.

They are not like partials for an adult. They are formed and cemented in place by a metal wire that is wrapped around and secured to his molars. That is the part that bothers me to be honest. I'm sure he will get used to it. I know at least at first I would be consciously aware of this new appliance being there constantly. But I'm thinking over time you wouldn't even think about it?

I've read about as much as I can, but was hoping I could find someone with first hand experience.

Has anyone here's child had one of these pedo-partials? Are there any issues with caring for them? Did your child get used to the appliance in his/her mouth and hopefully just forget it is even there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 08:35 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,885,931 times
My nephew knocked his front two teeth out when he was about 2. He is 7.5 and finally his permanent teeth are filling in! A partial was never considered.

No speech problems, no challenge eating. What are you giving the kid to bite off? Shoe leather?

I'm sure he would just forget it was there. Very hard to keep clean behind a wire in your mouth. I know, I still have my permanent retainer on my lower teeth after 30 years. It doesn't bother me, but yes, hard to clean

But what a waste of money. Why fix something before you see if it is truly a problem?

Old 10-03-2016, 12:01 PM

2 posts, read 11,944 times
I will admit that a lot of this is aesthetics if I'm being honest. But I also am thinking about speech development and proper eating. Yes, I admit that I miss his full smile and something about it just makes me feel badly for him because of it. I would hate it if some kids were in a group or something and said something to him and made him feel bad about himself. If it were an easy fix I would do it without much hesitation. On the other hand, I would never have him go through something invasive for aesthetic reasons. And this process is riding that line for me.

If i knew he would quickly become used to it and and forget it was there, and that it would not be uncomfortable then that would help a great deal. But you can't answer that for me. I am just looking for other parents opinions. And was hoping to get lucky and find someone that had this for their child.

Old 10-03-2016, 12:06 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,881,514 times
Ive known a few kids who had their front tooth or teeth knocked out early and no one ever mentioned partials. My son got all his adult teeth by 10, I think he lost his front teeth when he was about 4. Maybe even before. He has a "precocious mouth" the dentist said.

My daughter was typical and was barely 6 when she lost hers. I cant imagine spending money on anything like that when its a matter of a year or two. Kids look cute with their not-so-toothy grin. No kid is going to tease him, they are going to be jealous the tooth fairy already came to his house!

Old 10-06-2016, 11:54 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,777,868 times
Knew a family that adopted neglected children with rotted out teeth. They got them partials for cosmetic reasons, and to make them feel wanted and valued. They fell out as the new teeth came in, only about six months later!

New front teeth could come in as early as 5, and as late as 8. I think that the kid will be able to eat fine without them, and will be able to speak as well without them too. After all, within a year, a number of his classmates will be sporting the "edentulous" look too, naturally. So if I were you, I'd save the money for something else, and let it be.

Old 10-06-2016, 12:26 PM

772 posts, read 1,059,819 times
My kids lost their bottom front 2 around 4.5 years and by top 2 around 5. I really wouldnt consider partials for a 4 year old. He's almost at the point of his milk teeth starting to fall off anyway. And i really dont think any other kids would make fun of him.. Most kindergartners which is next year for him and 1st graders have missing tooth / teeth. He wouldnt be unique.

I may consider it for a much younger child that it could impact speech and stuff

Old 10-06-2016, 01:52 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,166,395 times
Seems like that's making it more complicated than it needs to be. I had my top front tooth knocked out when I was two. (I'm a boomer.) I wore a removable spacer for years. No chewing or self-esteem problems. No speech issues. No problems when the permanent tooth came in. No one made fun of me when I took it out. In fact there was a certain "cool" factor. I had a fake tooth and no one else had one. I was able to pop it out with my tongue, hang the fake tooth over my lower lip and freak out adults who thought I was losing my teeth while sitting quietly at my desk in school. The other five-year-old's thought that was the greatest.thing.ever.

Old 10-06-2016, 02:15 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,499,134 times
My nephew knocked out both of his front teeth at 2yrs old, no one has considered partials, he's 4 now. Come to think of it so did the little girl down the street, she's 12 now and eats and speaks just fine.

I didn't even know partials were a thing for preschoolers, he's going to lose his teeth in a matter of months anyway...

Old 10-06-2016, 02:20 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,405,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven11 View Post
We have an appointment for pedo-partials for him
for appearance reasons
Your kid doesn't care how he looks, and neither should you.

What you should be worried about is when your son figure out that his parents want him to look cuter so badly that they were willing to pay thousands for fake implants.

Old 10-11-2016, 05:34 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,741,834 times
Is this another thread to get some at each others throats...Im not biting, like your story..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting