Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 10:52 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,503 times

Advertisements

Am I missing something? Did anyone ask her if she felt okay to drive? If she said no, then you are in the wrong. If she said yes, then I don't see the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 12:12 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Am I missing something? Did anyone ask her if she felt okay to drive? If she said no, then you are in the wrong. If she said yes, then I don't see the issue.
I agree. And they did not say the distance from the house. I am assuming that it was a short, probably less than ten minute drive or the parent could not have gotten there that fast. It wasn't like she had to drive an hour in rush hour traffic to get back to the house.

And, all these people that are suggesting that the car be towed by AAA. I really don't think that they cover towing working cars back to someone's house.

Old 10-04-2016, 12:12 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP440 View Post
it is not uncommon for a person to continue to drive to a destination even after an accident, and that this is what she may have to do when she is on her own.
I said I intend to continue to pay the insurance, but the difference due to a rate hike because of a speeding ticket or accident is on her.
I think you are being very fair, along with preparing your daughter for adulthood. Bravo!

Old 10-04-2016, 12:27 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I agree. And they did not say the distance from the house. I am assuming that it was a short, probably less than ten minute drive or the parent could not have gotten there that fast. It wasn't like she had to drive an hour in rush hour traffic to get back to the house.

And, all these people that are suggesting that the car be towed by AAA. I really don't think that they cover towing working cars back to someone's house.
One person suggested it: me. If a towing service won't cover it, then move the car to a safe location off the road, and come back and get it the next day after the driver has settled down, and the weather has improved. It was raining after all. Why is it so awful to drive your near adult child home after an accident? I'd do the same thing for my husband, my siblings, my parents, or any of my friends if they asked. Doesn't make them any less grown up.

Old 10-04-2016, 12:33 PM

407 posts, read 370,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
One person suggested it: me. If a towing service won't cover it, then move the car to a safe location off the road, and come back and get it the next day after the driver has settled down, and the weather has improved. It was raining after all. Why is it so awful to drive your near adult child home after an accident? I'd do the same thing for my husband, my siblings, my parents, or any of my friends if they asked. Doesn't make them any less grown up.
The OP's post was about his wife's reaction to the daughter driving the smashed car (versus Dad driving smashed car and daughter driving his car) and the potential increase of insurance rates. Unless I missed something, it wasn't about the wife being mad about the daughter being asked to drive at all. The conversation could have been "Daughter, are you OK to drive?". Daughter says "Yea, Dad, see you at home."

Old 10-04-2016, 01:45 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,145,168 times
Most insurance policy will cover towing even if the car is drivable. For example, GEICO charges $4.50 for new car per six months (older cars range between $9.5 and $11.8) for emergency road service that includes towing. Just tell the rep on the phone that the car got into an accident and you feel unsafe for your daughter to continue driving it.

The only hiccup is that the towing is just one time per accident. That means the next day if OP wants to have the damaged car towed for repair, the request will be denied. But since the car is drivable, dad or mom can drive it to the repair shop.

If OP has not added such term into his insurance policy, maybe he should consider adding it.

Old 10-04-2016, 01:55 PM

4,290 posts, read 4,011,598 times
Ok! I wonder if you forgot ask if she was okay after an accident. I am sure you did not, what you said was "drive home" I am happy that you are not my mother and also I am happy that your ex is not my father. Adios

Old 10-04-2016, 03:25 PM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeurich View Post
Ok! I wonder if you forgot ask if she was okay after an accident. I am sure you did not, what you said was "drive home" I am happy that you are not my mother and also I am happy that your ex is not my father. Adios
That would be quite interesting since it has been determined that the OP is the father and the ex is the mother.

Perhaps the OP left out details about asking the daughter if she was hurt and okay, the first things that most parents would ask. Since the daughter is nearly an adult, if she didn't feel all right to drive her car home, she could have told either parent that.

Old 10-04-2016, 03:34 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
I had my first accident when I was 19 and did not call my parents to pick me up or what not. I dealt with it myself because I was an adult and was expected to handle my own business.

Your ex is overly protective. If your child can drive, she can handle such a situation (where she did not get hurt).

Old 10-04-2016, 03:53 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,070,465 times
I'm going to disagree with dad for two reasons....the daughter's age and driving experience. Had she been an experienced driver (let's say, 10+ years), letting her drive home a car that is damaged (with unknown damage underneath), and something happened, I'd feel comfortable knowing she'd know how to handle it, regardless if she's under duress (again, experience).

But, because the daughter is inexperienced, I would have driven the banged up car home since I am the more experienced driver. At that point, it's not about being an adult or being shaken up, it's about being in the best mindset to drive home...and that would come with experience.

As for the increase in insurance, she can pay over time. I'm assuming you won't take every cent she makes and will allow her some "play money" during summer, but I agree with dad here, she's an adult, she needs to deal with adult consequences (regardless if the accident is her fault or not).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting