Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 04:25 PM

33 posts, read 33,463 times

Advertisements

I am 30 years old and my husband is 42. Deciding on whether to have kids or not due to him not being able to retire ...like ever lol if we have kids. Anyone out there that wanted to have kids but decided not too because of money issues? I hear a lot from people who never wanted kids, but tell me what your life is like without kids when you originally wanted them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2016, 04:28 PM

226 posts, read 198,905 times
If the desire for kids is there, money issues should not be a deterrent-unless there is one income and serious hardships we don't know about. Thousands of folks start viable families and do what is needed to ensure their growth and health. It's kinda funny that you would just not have one. All kinds of people have families and live responsibly.

Old 10-03-2016, 04:29 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
I think it is selfish to have children if you are not in a financial position to give them everything they need or if you don't have enough time for them.

Old 10-03-2016, 04:33 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,346,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullandram View Post
I am 30 years old and my husband is 42. Deciding on whether to have kids or not due to him not being able to retire ...like ever lol if we have kids. Anyone out there that wanted to have kids but decided not too because of money issues? I hear a lot from people who never wanted kids, but tell me what your life is like without kids when you originally wanted them?
Forget money, its changes your lifestyle completely
I don't want kids because the life style changes will drive me nuts

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
This is probably a question for the Parenting board...?

52,249 posts, read 52,655,546 times
42 is starting to get up there a bit and kids are a lot of work and a lot of expense. This has been pretty much discussed to death here.

If you were both 30-ish it would be more ideal. I'm 47 and I can feel the difference in my energy level comparing to when I was 30's.

When your husband is 47 he'll have a 5 yr old to run around after. I wouldn't particularly want to deal with that right now. I think it can work, but yeah, your husband will have to work til he's in the ground, at least if you plan on trying to pay for college, that's a huge cost and at 60 a man should be thinking about retiring not funding a college education.

IDK, certainly something to think about.

Old 10-03-2016, 04:38 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullandram View Post
500K to 1M to properly raise up and school a kid through college.

Any questions?

In other words, for people besides 1%ers, the decision to have kids is a decision to do one of the following:
1) Try to do it on the cheap - corners get cut, and voila - multi-generational debt or other ways kids are not equipped for the modern, internationalized world, where they are competing with the cream of the crop in China, India, etc.
2) You die with massive debt and possibly after a terrible bout of elder poverty.

Old 10-03-2016, 04:39 PM

226 posts, read 198,905 times
I never wanted kids, so I made sure to marry someone who had grown kids or didn't want the responsibility either. But if I had wanted them, I would have done whatever it required to give them the best life. That includes a double income in today's world.

Old 10-03-2016, 04:53 PM

515 posts, read 624,093 times
Is there ever a right time to have kids? They will suck all the energy, time and money you have. Having children is the most illogical decision to ever make.

That being said, I am happy that I did and wouldn't change it for anything. Our kids are 5 and 7 right now and when things get tough my wife and I daydream about what it would have been like to remain childless in our Manhattan apartment.

More travel, more shopping, more gym time, more friend time, more personal everything... I still choose the illogical.

Old 10-03-2016, 05:03 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,096,890 times
Energy, time, money etc.. yes....

It can also be very hard on a marriage (speaking from experience and currently living/recovering/surviving through it).

//www.city-data.com/forum/paren...-marriage.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting