Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 03:34 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,955,614 times

Advertisements

You could make mummy dogs (crescent rolls and hot dogs) Are they to old to bob for apples? Make different dishes and they have to put their hands in and guess what it is....spaghetti and peeled grapes are brain s and eyeballs....etc. Maybe make a "haunted house" in the basement?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2016, 05:09 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,876,043 times
Great ideas! Its coming together!

Old 10-08-2016, 05:33 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,611,202 times
I'd love to have the space......if so I would make that large room a haunted house (of sorts). I used to do haunted hallways at the child care center when there and it was the hit of the entire carnival we did.

Some quick ideas of what I did:
1. Covered walls with cheap black trash bags to get the totally dark feel. You could hang black sheets as dividers since there is no hallway.
2. One wall area was covered with old costumes stuffed with newspaper with tales of those children didn't make it out of there last year.
3. A table held creepy things to feel-oiled cooked noodles were intestines, karo syrup mixed with chocolate syrup was blood, oil bath balls slightly soaked were eyeballs...etc
4. screaming doormats
5. packing peanuts in the complete dark sound like walking on roaches
6. hanging fishing line feels like spider webs
7. hanging trash bags filled with newspaper creates maze to fight through
8. someone lying in strategic place creates scare when grabbing ankles. :-)

gotta go but those come to mind easily

Oh and the younger kids had a different way to exit if they got too scared

Old 10-09-2016, 02:15 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,488,549 times
I realize that this party isn't actually happening on Halloween, but when my kid was young I would throw a block party at our house evey year for kids and adults on Halloween, pre-Trick or Treating time, and the parents would all bring chili. The kids had pizza, parents all sampled various chili recipes. It was so much fun!

Old 10-09-2016, 08:55 AM

3,149 posts, read 2,694,204 times
Haunted house in the basement for sure!

Old 10-09-2016, 02:01 PM

3,167 posts, read 3,999,691 times
With that many people, do not bother planning any games or activities. A movie or two out if they want it is fine, but they don't need adult direction to have fun with enough space and kids around. I usually do a potluck, because it's easier and cheaper, but if I were doing the food I'd just do finger foods - veggies and dip, fruit, cheese and crackers, deserts, and so on. I like to Pinterest it all up, but it's probably not necessary.

Old 10-09-2016, 08:50 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times
Many years ago we did a Halloween party with kids that ranged in age like that. I remember some game called ghost in the graveyard the older kids reluctantly participated in because they wanted to get a prize, and we set up several stations that the older kids then manned for the younger kids. Face decorating, etc.

Also, I'll explain this wrong but there was a cake baked in a large rectangular pan, that was dumped onto a cutting board and the top was cut off and rounded so that once it was frosted it looked like a ghost. Oreos for eyes.

We were dreading the whole thing, the day of, knowing the older kids would find some of the things babyish, so that's when we thought of asking them to man the stations - and that made the difference for us.

Have fun!

I'm explaining the cake thing all wrong. By top I mean if you turn the cake so the short side is closest to you and the other short side is opposite you, and cut the opposite side so it's rounded.

Can some woman help me out here? LOL

Old 10-10-2016, 09:35 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,173,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
With that many people, do not bother planning any games or activities. A movie or two out if they want it is fine, but they don't need adult direction to have fun with enough space and kids around. I usually do a potluck, because it's easier and cheaper, but if I were doing the food I'd just do finger foods - veggies and dip, fruit, cheese and crackers, deserts, and so on. I like to Pinterest it all up, but it's probably not necessary.

This too. We were just at a cookout Saturday night at a kidless house but enough guests brought their kids that our kids spent hours running around the woods with the other kids. I don't worry about trying to entertain them.

Old 10-10-2016, 09:36 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,073,704 times
I hear that there are lots of scary clowns looking for something to do...

Old 10-10-2016, 06:15 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,098,565 times
-"mummy wrapping" contest. Kids pair up and use toilet paper rolls to wrap their friends and whoever does it the fastest wins
-Halloween themed pinata
- Halloween movies for kids.
- blind games i.e. spaghetti for "worms", grapes for "Eye balls"
- candy corn count
- bobbing for apples
- build a scarecrow
-carve pumpkins
- musical chairs
-make a small "haunted house"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting