Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2016, 07:27 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post

I raised 3 sons. I taught them to clean their own bathroom from very early on. If they could sprinkle, they could clean. .
Bless you for that. I've encountered too many adult men who seem to have no concept of not peeing or splashing or dribbling everywhere. (Or if they do, that it's their responsibility and theirs alone to clean it up.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2016, 07:56 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,504,547 times
I have three kids- 2 boys and a girl. They all do equal chores and the chores rotate. Laundry, cleaning kitchen, bathroom, etc. They are all very capable, although the daughter complains bitterly about most of it. They've been doing these chores from early on. When I was a girl, I detested the household jobs and much preferred the jobs like mowing the lawn and taking care of outdoor maintenance. One of my brothers tended to prefer indoor jobs.

I can't imagine treating my kids in such a way that I'd be limiting the capabilities of one by not giving equal opportunity to do a variety of chores.

Old 10-16-2016, 06:27 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
My brother was only required to mow the lawn once a month during the seasons the grass actually grew. From October - April he didn't have to do even that. My sister and I were stuck doing the dishes every night all year long. I didn't think it was fair then, and still don't.

Chores shouldn't be divided into man/woman work, but my parents obviously didn't agree.

Old 10-16-2016, 07:03 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
My brother was only required to mow the lawn once a month during the seasons the grass actually grew. From October - April he didn't have to do even that. My sister and I were stuck doing the dishes every night all year long. I didn't think it was fair then, and still don't.

Chores shouldn't be divided into man/woman work, but my parents obviously didn't agree.
Unfortunately many "male" chores fall into the sporadic/infrequent category like mowing, shoveling snow, changing or getting the oil changed, etc. The exception is the 60 seconds each week to take out the trash! Most "female" chores are the never ending type - dishes, laundry, picking up, cleaning up, cooking...

Old 10-16-2016, 01:58 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,491,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
So it's preferable to have a child who virtually never sees his dad? You keep saying you would never teach your son to (whatever chore you deem too feminine). It seems to me, in the scenario you give, you wouldn't, in fact, be teaching your son anything. You wouldn't be around to do so. He'd need to look to other men to be his role models and to discuss his questions about life with. You know, one who's around. Or maybe even a woman.

It is pretty well documented that children with uninvolved/absent parents suffer.
Well, which is better, not seeing his father or not seeing either parent because both are working?

In response to the bolded, I said no such thing. In fact, I said just the opposite. I think it's a good idea for everyone to be well-rounded. I teach my son to do everything; laundry, dishes, cooking, sewing, etc. What I'll also teach my son, as I said, is not to be manipulated by some woman or decades of feminist dogma which declares it's perfectly acceptable for him to work all day/week to support his wife but somehow unreasonable to then ask her to make him a sandwich or keep the bathroom clean.

Look, you've been fairly reasonable and I appreciate that. I would love to continue this conversation, but literally half of my posts have been deleted, and it's pretty obvious why. Since I'm not going to be allowed to share my opinion, I'm no longer going to participate in this thread.

Old 10-16-2016, 10:15 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,052 times
I give my daughters more than my son because one day they will be wives and mothers and need to know how to do those things.

Old 10-16-2016, 10:55 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,869,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
I give my daughters more than my son because one day they will be wives and mothers and need to know how to do those things.
But don't boys need to know how to do "those things"?

What if the time comes for your son to do those things for himself and his mother is no longer doing those things for him, he doesn't have a wife to do those things for him, or his wife doesn't want to do those things for him?

Old 10-17-2016, 08:39 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post

What if the time comes for your son to do those things for himself and his mother is no longer doing those things for him, he doesn't have a wife to do those things for him, or his wife doesn't want to do those things for him?
exactly^^^^^ we are not doing our sons any favors by not giving them household chores because "some girl will always be around to do it".

My husband was a little prince who had no household responsibilities growing up and he didn't even have any sisters. His mother was the martyr type who did it all herself. And his first wife continued spoiling him.
Things changed when I came into the picture.
He's an electrical engineer, member of mensa with 3 college degrees but turns into a drooling idiot when he enters the kitchen! The man even screwed up a box of mac and cheese! So I do all the cooking (with the help of our two 14-year-old girls). He can wash dishes, clean toilets, vacuum, and dust, etc. He laments that he was always run out of the kitchen "so the women folk could prepare the food". Everybody should be able to feed themselves and others from time to time, mend and launder clothes, change a tire, change oil, make a budget, keep a checking account balanced. and change diapers.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:46 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
BTW I was in charge of lawn maintenance for the first 35 years of our marriage. I love mowing the grass, clipping shrubs, weeding the garden, etc. I once was given a rototiller for a birthday present and I was thrilled to death. Since DH worked so much during the week and had little interaction with the kids, on the weekends I was happy to have time outside mowing, weeding, etc and he stayed inside to bond with the kids. it worked for us. When they were old enough to join us, outside chores became a family affair.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:43 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,840,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post

He wont marry a woman who wont do those things for him.

and to the person ( probably you) who sent me a comment asking if its 1950s...im allowed to believe, live and teach the way that works for us and i wasnt asking for your thought on the matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting