Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 07:06 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,302,595 times

Advertisements

I'm curious about something. When some of you call other posters out on something they posted is it because you remember their name or their previous posts or do you just click on their name to see all their posts? What is the purpose of this? I've seen it on a lot of threads lately and I don't understand it. If you think something is a BS post, just move on, why the need to publicly post the OP's posting history information?

I rarely remember anybody's screen name unless they have been especially rude and in that case I just block them and move along. Does it make you feel superior that the poster isn't pulling the wool over your eyes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 08:25 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,722,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I'm curious about something. When some of you call other posters out on something they posted is it because you remember their name or their previous posts or do you just click on their name to see all their posts? What is the purpose of this? I've seen it on a lot of threads lately and I don't understand it. If you think something is a BS post, just move on, why the need to publicly post the OP's posting history information?

I rarely remember anybody's screen name unless they have been especially rude and in that case I just block them and move along. Does it make you feel superior that the poster isn't pulling the wool over your eyes?
Not particularly, as it took three different threads about pill popping in a month before I noticed. I think it's important because forums seem to be a snapshot of reality and people will read these fake threads and think they represent something that isn't real. It is part of the problem that leads people to feel things that aren't true; like that we are less safe, or that strangers are out to get you, or in this case everyone is messed up. It all leads to the fear machine that makes us make bad choices.

Old 10-13-2016, 09:40 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,402,710 times
Quote:
I'm curious about something. When some of you call other posters out on something they posted is it because you remember their name or their previous posts or do you just click on their name to see all their posts?
Most times, I've read their posts before and remember them because those threads were whack, too.

Old 10-13-2016, 01:14 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,598,739 times
Quote:

There's nothing wrong in questioning the motives of someone who posts in a public forum. I did that the other day based on what I remembered about someones posting history. And when a member posts in multiple forums on c-d, it's bound to be noticed by others who post in those same forums. There's no need to look at posting history.

With all due respect, one of us who has done what you're referencing could ask why you don't just skip our posts, block us and move along, and also inquire as to whether it makes you feel superior to try shaming people, since that's what it seems you're attempting to do.

No need to respond, by the way, I really don't care. I'm just trying to point out there does seem to be a level of hypocrisy involved in all of this.

Old 10-14-2016, 12:53 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,158,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo775 View Post
Coworker is my cousin.
Interesting. You tried to play them off as 2 different people when I pointed out your multiple similar threads a while back.

Old 10-14-2016, 01:03 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,158,091 times
Quote:

I usually remember, or at least remember the style of the post. I think some posters come looking for validation not advice, and purposely make vague posts so as to leave out details that might sway our opinions. If I'm giving advice, I want it to be genuine, and the whole story needs to be known in order to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting