Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 12:51 PM

633 posts, read 581,734 times

Advertisements

How do people feel comfortable raising a child with low incomes ?

I think the poster meant

How do people with low incomes feel comfortable raising a child ?

Old 10-21-2016, 02:50 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBeachBum View Post
My child has a low income and it never bothered me. I mean it is not like I am charging a nine year old rent,
What the hell does that mean?

Old 10-21-2016, 03:11 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stellastar2345 View Post
My moms coworker is having a baby. She's unmarried and works as a secretary. Probably makes 30k tops. While she is a bit older than me,28, it's not exactly the end of child bearing years. My mom is saying the Secretary is very happy about having a child. How?
You are curious, your mom is not happy . Hopefully Dad doesnt work there

Old 10-21-2016, 03:16 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
What the hell does that mean?
It means the OP was not grammatical correct.

Old 10-21-2016, 05:44 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
OK for a kid who slept in a second-hand crib.
I slept in a drawer.

My parents weren't poor. They just didn't have any excess money.

Old 10-21-2016, 08:38 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I slept in a drawer.
Hello, Drawer Buddy! I slept in a drawer, too. I was told that was not that unusual in the early 1950s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

My parents weren't poor. They just didn't have any excess money.
Well, my parents were poor. They had originally borrowed a crib from someone but then that person got pregnant a few months later and needed the crib back.

Old 10-22-2016, 11:35 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,507,241 times
Quote:
Quote:
I slept in a drawer.
Hello, Drawer Buddy! I slept in a drawer, too. I was told that was not that unusual in the early 1950s.
I was planning to put my kid in a drawer in the year 2000... but we ended up putting him in our bed instead. I didn't have any drawer space

Old 10-23-2016, 06:50 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
It's nauseatingly shallow to see how many people here equate giving their kids stuff with raising happy, healthy kids. In my experience much of that has incurred debt anyway, doubly stupid.

Ask anyone who works with kids in mental health, and they will answer having money is zero guarantee of happiness.

The other major point is the assumption that just because you choose not to buy your kids new cars or trendy clothes, then one must not have disposable income. That is ridiculous. Apparently it's only the minority who prefer to teach their kids value, used cars, prioritizing purchases. Our family spends far more on experiences than "stuff". Travel, concerts, music lessons, sport, etc.
Who has said this?

If you are referring to me, I was teased and bullied at school because I did not have those things. Made my formative years a living hell. These things are important to kids - and if you do not have them, there will be hell to pay.

And someone who can afford travel, concerts, and music lessons - well, low-income does not apply, does it?

Old 10-23-2016, 07:32 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
It's nauseatingly shallow to see how many people here equate giving their kids stuff with raising happy, healthy kids. In my experience much of that has incurred debt anyway, doubly stupid.

Ask anyone who works with kids in mental health, and they will answer having money is zero guarantee of happiness.

The other major point is the assumption that just because you choose not to buy your kids new cars or trendy clothes, then one must not have disposable income. That is ridiculous. Apparently it's only the minority who prefer to teach their kids value, used cars, prioritizing purchases. Our family spends far more on experiences than "stuff". Travel, concerts, music lessons, sport, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Who has said this?

If you are referring to me, I was teased and bullied at school because I did not have those things. Made my formative years a living hell. These things are important to kids - and if you do not have them, there will be hell to pay.

And someone who can afford travel, concerts, and music lessons - well, low-income does not apply, does it?
I think that these two posters are comparing apples and oranges, probably because of growing up or raising their kids in different time periods and different communities.

There is a huge difference between not buying your child designer shirts & jeans and your child having to wear hand-me-down old, worn out & patched clothes every day.

And, as mochamajesty stated if you could afford "Travel, concerts, music lessons, sports" or even only one of those things then you are not really "low income".

I had a very happy childhood, we never realized that we were somewhat poor because most of our neighbors and friends were somewhat poor, too. But, even I remember a few things that would probably shock a few readers. The very first time that I ever had a meal in restaurant or diner was when I was 12 years old and it was because a friend was celebrating her birthday with her family and invited me to come. Yes, 12 years old. And, the next time wasn't until sometime after I was at least 16, and was working making my own money. We had plenty of food at home, as we lived on a farm, had cows & chickens, fruit trees & a vegetable garden but we certainly did not have money (or time) to waste by going out to eat.

Hmmm, how many 16 year olds have only had one restaurant, diner, fast food meal in their entire lives? Today, many families have at least one a week, if not multiple times a week. And, I am not an elderly person who remembers the depression or the austerity after WW II, I am only 64 years old.

Old 10-23-2016, 10:58 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Who has said this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I think that these two posters are comparing apples and oranges, probably because of growing up or raising their kids in different time periods and different communities.

There is a huge difference between not buying your child designer shirts & jeans and your child having to wear hand-me-down old, worn out & patched clothes every day.

And, as mochamajesty stated if you could afford "Travel, concerts, music lessons, sports" or even only one of those things then you are not really "low income".

I had a very happy childhood, we never realized that we were somewhat poor because most of our neighbors and friends were somewhat poor, too. But, even I remember a few things that would probably shock a few readers. The very first time that I ever had a meal in restaurant or diner was when I was 12 years old and it was because a friend was celebrating her birthday with her family and invited me to come. Yes, 12 years old. And, the next time wasn't until sometime after I was at least 16, and was working making my own money. We had plenty of food at home, as we lived on a farm, had cows & chickens, fruit trees & a vegetable garden but we certainly did not have money (or time) to waste by going out to eat.

Hmmm, how many 16 year olds have only had one restaurant, diner, fast food meal in their entire lives? Today, many families have at least one a week, if not multiple times a week. And, I am not an elderly person who remembers the depression or the austerity after WW II, I am only 64 years old.

I was responding in general as multiple posters had mentioned clothes, cars, etc. My point was just that some people talk about wealth in terms of stuff, others don't.

Last edited by Zimbochick; 10-23-2016 at 11:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting