Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 04:03 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,452,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
Because many people enjoy sponging off the government with programs like WIC and think other people should pay for them to take care of their children...
To some extent, you are right...But you're wrong if you think about it. In other countries, Mexico for example, poverty is the norm for many families. And in Mexico WIC/Food Stamps/Child Support/Section 8 Housing doesn't exist. As a matter of fact there are essentially no Government resources for poor people; except for maybe sending your 5 year old child out in the street to sell "chicles" for Pesos (if you would consider that a Government assistance lol).

But my point is - In countries like this with zero public assistance - Women still have many children, without any idea of how where the economic support will come from to raise them. So this must be a further Psychological phenomonon regardless to how much our US Government enables the irresponsible in this country. Thoughts?

Old 10-18-2016, 04:09 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,846,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeraKera View Post
What states can a single mother who makes an assumed $30k live comfortably and safely?
any where its affordable.

Old 10-18-2016, 04:58 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
To live on $30,000 a year:

You would need to spend no more than $625 to $750 a month for housing. This is the biggest stumbling block, but it depends on where you are living.

You would need to budget around $450 a month for transportation (gas, tolls, public transit, whatever).

You would need to budget around $400 a month for food. If you breastfeed, then you can save what you would spend on formula. If you live somewhere where you can have a garden, you can cut some of your food bill by growing vegetables.

To cut costs, you can become an extreme couponer.

You can only use free or very low cost entertainment - going to the neighborhood parks, for example.

You can buy clothing and many other things at thrift stores (at the very least, don't buy name brand stuff that costs a lot more - use TJ Maxx, Marshalls, etc.) You can also buy things at yard sales and garage sales and rummage sales.

Use the library instead of buying books.

Living on $30K can certainly be done and you can enjoy living frugally.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:07 PM

3,483 posts, read 9,019,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
To live on $30,000 a year:

You would need to spend no more than $625 to $750 a month for housing. This is the biggest stumbling block, but it depends on where you are living.

You would need to budget around $450 a month for transportation (gas, tolls, public transit, whatever).

You would need to budget around $400 a month for food. If you breastfeed, then you can save what you would spend on formula. If you live somewhere where you can have a garden, you can cut some of your food bill by growing vegetables.

To cut costs, you can become an extreme couponer.

You can only use free or very low cost entertainment - going to the neighborhood parks, for example.

You can buy clothing and many other things at thrift stores (at the very least, don't buy name brand stuff that costs a lot more - use TJ Maxx, Marshalls, etc.) You can also buy things at yard sales and garage sales and rummage sales.

Use the library instead of buying books.

Living on $30K can certainly be done and you can enjoy living frugally.
That's 100% true. A good friend of mine doesn't work, she's a stay at home mom raising three children. Her husband works, but his salary isn't gigantic. They were able to save up some $$ and purchase a home, purchased a used vehicle, and live rather frugally (incredibly frugally by current trends - i.e. No data plans/smart phones, one vehicle that was well used, reusable/cloth diapers, no cable, and only recently did they get internet).

The beautiful thing I see from them, is they're not constantly looking for the next new thing to buy. They can define their life not by physical possessions but emotional bonds, friendships, etc. They do garden some, and save enough $$ to take family vacations and build memories.

In many ways, I feel life has gotten to complicated. I'm paying for hundreds of channels of cable, smart phones, two cars (neither super affordable), private schools, etc. We definitely don't spend frivolously, but we could definitely cut back and I think from a family perspective that could be a huge plus.

Recently I left a $100k/yr job that I was hating for a $60k/yr job I enjoy. It's been tough on the family in more ways than one, but the financial burden was one of the least of our worries. We did have more expendable income prior, but most of that went to eating out. We now plan our $$'s a little more, and were able to maintain the lifestyle we previously had.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:13 PM

159 posts, read 136,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeraKera View Post
What states can a single mother who makes an assumed $30k live comfortably and safely?
All of them.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:28 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
I agree with you, to a certain extent. I think more people should think hard about having children they cannot support. Instead of being grateful to the taxpayer who funds their welfare, they simply resent those who are better off than they are.

My own parents had me when they were young, poor and still had a lot of growing up to do themselves. They got involved with a cult religion, I'm thinking if they'd been older and more mature, this wouldn't have happened.
Unfortunately, many religious people and conservatives don't believe in abortion, and in some states, many clinics have been shut down making it virtually impossible for a young woman in such a situation to get an abortion. Also, abortions aren't funded in any way by assistance programs or insurance, so a pregnant young girl with no money has no choice but to go forward with the pregnancy.

I suppose she could give it up to adoption, but that's asking a lot. And there are already many unwanted kids in orphanages.

Welfare in the form of money isn't given to adults in almost all states. There is Section 8 housing (sliding scale for housing assistance for working people), food stamps (supplemental only; not feeding 100%). There are some add'l programs for CHILDREN (not adults). Children are not responsible for their parents being poor.

Many young women with a child are not on assistance of any kind. Certainly the situation the OP describes is not someone who would qualify for most assistance (maybe for Section 8 housing assistance, since she is working full time, but not sure of the income required).

The woman in the OP is not a deadbeat, having kids for benefits. She works full time and earns a living wage. Most secretaries have ins. benefits, as well.

It's none of anyone else's business that she is unmarried and having a baby. White males seem surprised that someone not earning a lot of money is having a baby. Women don't get paid what most men get paid. Women have managed with low wages for eons.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:41 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,994,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Geez ! I wonder how many of us were pre-planned by our parents and they set up a budget ?
I was. Perhaps that's why I plan to do what my parents did and be financially stable and preferably in a committed relationship when I have a child. I want my kids to have a college fund like I had and have the opportunities I had. Even though a large number of pregnancies are unplanned, planning them (and thus planning financial aspects of raising a child) is a fantastic idea for obvious reasons. My parents waited 4 years after marrying to have kids and made sure they started saving for our college when we were very young. They sacrificed a lot financially (like a bigger house and/or a second home they could have afforded had they not chosen to instead invest in our futures and even could have afforded while still doing so but to stay secure decided to not) for us and now it's paying off at this point in our lives, with both of us on the road to getting masters or higher degrees.

My cousin had a baby at 21 with a loser drug addict who is in and out of the kid's life. She has no college education, had no job at the time of her pregnancy, and still was and is living at home with her dad who is also struggling financially. I don't care what any of you say, her decision to have and keep this child was stupid and selfish. I feel bad for her poor son. She's a good mom but she's starting him out in life at a disadvantage, right from her choice of his father down to the fact that she's so broke she can't even afford a one bedroom government housing apartment. Now my cousin is on the extreme side here and in a worse position than the person OP describes but if I were the person OP is describing I would be very nervous about my and my child's future, single with that income. I don't doubt someone with a low income and/or single can be a fantastic parent, I just question how fair the situation is for the kid when the parent(s) are living on such a low income.

Old 10-18-2016, 07:46 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,846,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
The woman in the OP is not a deadbeat, having kids for benefits. She works full time and earns a living wage. Most secretaries have ins. benefits, as well.
so are most of the people on assistance..

-----------------------

Theres no guarantee she will make 30k forever. She could get a better paying job next week. The child ist doomed to 30k until 18. She could meet an awesome guy next year who makes 100k...of course on the flip side she could lose her job and make nothing but that can happen to ANYONE with kids.

Old 10-19-2016, 04:52 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,458,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
1) It's none of your business.
2) Your opinions on (in your estimation) lesser mortals has been well established.
3) Happiness is not all about money.
4) You are making many assumptions about a situation of which you know very few details.
5) It's none of your business.
It is our business when we, the taxpayers, wind up helping support the low income child. It's all too common these days.

Old 10-19-2016, 06:25 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
1) It's none of your business.
2) Your opinions on (in your estimation) lesser mortals has been well established.
3) Happiness is not all about money.
4) You are making many assumptions about a situation of which you know very few details.
5) It's none of your business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting