Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 08:24 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,696,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
A 5 year old boy might only want to invite 5 year old boys to his party. If the girl was 6, she might have been disqualified on 2 counts. Being a girl and being 6. Maybe the mother thought that was obvious, and didn't see anything to apologize for. Maybe she wasn't aware the girl was disappointed.
There was a mom at my child's school who had a girls only party, but she made it clear so there were no feelings hurt. It was a Disney Frozen party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 08:27 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,696,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
Seriously cannot believe some of the responses here..

1. Why would they HAVE to invite the whole class. The child is NOT a friend of everyone in the class...

I think it's okay to not invite the whole class, but I also think it's wrong to invite the whole class and exclude one or two kids from that class. I would not hurt a child's feelings that way, and I would rather not give my child a party at all if that's how she wanted to do it.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:16 PM

10 posts, read 11,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsieanna View Post
I forgot to ask, was it just boys invited or were there some girls too?
Boys and girls. The other neighbors invited are siblings (boy and girl)

Old 10-25-2016, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Turnabout is fair play, now isn't it?

Just because you mailed the invitations doesn't mean those other girls didn't brag about being invited to the party in front of the other children in the classroom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Hmmm.....I was sort of sympathizing with you until you shared that you'd done the same thing to classmates for your daughter's birthday. Maybe this happening will change your mind for her birthday this year.

Otherwise you handled it well enough to appease your daughter....Let it go now.

ETA Curious, was this little boy excluded from your daughter's birthday party???....did you invite any of the neighbor kids??
Her birthday was only girls. I didn't invite any neighbors because my daughter didn't play with anyone at the time. We live in a new subdivision and people were still moving in. The kids started playing with each other this past summer.

Also- how are 5 year olds (at the time) "bragging" about being invited to a party the same as a grown women excluding 1 kid in front of the others.

Old 10-25-2016, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Questions for OP. First lets set up the known facts. You had a birthday party for your daughter, and did not invite the neighbor boy to the party. You only invited girls in her class. The boy in younger and not in her class.

1)---Was the party only for boys, as your daughters was only for girls?

2)---Was the party for children his age such as his class in school as was your daughters?

3)---The mother did not invite your daughter to his birthday party, when you did not invite her son to your daughters party?

Any one of those three factors, may be the big reason your daughter was not invited to his party.

Why are you so upset, when the boy's mother did the exact thing you did, which was not inviting your child to the birthday party. You set the precedent when he was not invited to her birthday party.

No intelligent person should ever expect that the neighbor would invite her child to a birthday party, when she does not invite the other mother's child to her child's party.

Instead of blaming her, blame yourself, you started it by not inviting her son to your daughter's party.
I can't invite someone to a party I don't know. We didn't know the neighbors at the time. Everyone is fairly new to the neighborhood since its a new subdivision. We all just met this past summer.

So your three questions are irrelevant

Old 10-25-2016, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Turnabout is fair play, now isn't it?

Just because you mailed the invitations doesn't mean those other girls didn't brag about being invited to the party in front of the other children in the classroom.
The only girls in her classroom who didn't get invited were the ones who's parents chose to keep contact info blank on the classroom list (no email, phone number, or address).

Old 10-26-2016, 07:41 AM

9,945 posts, read 5,618,641 times
While I get not passing out invitations in front of kids who aren't invited, I don't get the "all or nothing" invitation policy people seem to advocate here where if you invite some of the kids in the class or neighborhood, you need to invite all of them so that nobody feels left out. Uh, no. We want our daughter to have something special for her birthday and we want her to have her friends there with her. But we can't afford to take 29 kids to Carlos E. Queso or wherever, and we don't have room for all of them in our house either. Not to mention she doesn't really care for some of her classmates and would rather not have them at her party. For that matter *I* don't want some of those kids there either.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:31 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,147,660 times
[quote=SoCalCpl2;45948295]Seriously cannot believe some of the responses here..

1. Why would they HAVE to invite the whole class. The child is NOT a friend of everyone in the class...

2. If I mail or hand give an invitation to certain people, I do not have to feel bad the others were not given one....

3. And what is with the revenge is sweet responses on here.. If she has a girls only party OF COURSE the boy is NOT invited... So I doubt the boys mom is getting revenge....

4. The mom of the boy needed to handle this in a different manner....[/QUOTE]

You repeatedly contradict yourself???

Old 10-26-2016, 08:35 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,147,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momi2 View Post
The only girls in her classroom who didn't get invited were the ones who's parents chose to keep contact info blank on the classroom list (no email, phone number, or address).
Doesn't matter. You are still upset with a neighbor parent doing exactly what you did, exclude some children from your child's party.

You didn't respond to whether or not you had invited this neighbor boy to your daughter's party?

I think you should use this situation for a teachable moment...."Honey, remember when we didn't invite all your classmates.....this is like that time. Don't take it personal."

Old 10-26-2016, 08:38 AM

4,039 posts, read 4,933,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Doesn't matter. You are still upset with a neighbor parent doing exactly what you did, exclude some children from your child's party.

You didn't respond to whether or not you had invited this neighbor boy to your daughter's party?

I think you should use this situation for a teachable moment...."Honey, remember when we didn't invite all your classmates.....this is like that time. Don't take it personal."
I don't think she's upset because her kid wasn't invited. She was upset because the mom handed out invitations right in front of her and didn't include her. It would be the same if she had her daughter hand out invites right in front of the boy and didn't give him one but gave all the others one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting