Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 08:59 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,890,797 times

Advertisements

I am sitting here watching TV shows all about Halloween (comedies) and I keep seeing the same thing. Kids go out trick or treating alone. Does anyone let kids go out trick or treating alone? My kids are 11 and almost 10 and I cant imagine letting them walk the neighborhood (or any neighborhood) alone at or after dark. By the time they are too old for it, I think is when I could consider them doing it alone...but I wouldn't let them because they are too old for it.

Am I being over protective? I would LOVE not to have to go freeze my butt off while they trick or treat!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 09:38 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,709,460 times
I think that's just on t.v. I don't know anyone who lets their kid go trick or treating alone.

Old 10-26-2016, 09:40 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
I didn't realize until your final sentence that you didn't mean alone, you meant without an adult. Yes, I let mine go with their friends, in a group, by the age of 8 or so. But Trick or Treating where we lived was always after school (or late afternoon on the weekend), not after dark. And, they had to remain within a certain area, which wasn't really an issue because they were on foot anyway.

Old 10-26-2016, 09:42 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,447,597 times
If they are old enough to go alone, they are too old to trick or treat!

Old 10-26-2016, 09:44 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
If they are old enough to go alone, they are too old to trick or treat!
Nobody is too old to Trick or Treat.

Old 10-26-2016, 10:03 PM

16,077 posts, read 21,159,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I am sitting here watching TV shows all about Halloween (comedies) and I keep seeing the same thing. Kids go out trick or treating alone. Does anyone let kids go out trick or treating alone? My kids are 11 and almost 10 and I cant imagine letting them walk the neighborhood (or any neighborhood) alone at or after dark. By the time they are too old for it, I think is when I could consider them doing it alone...but I wouldn't let them because they are too old for it.

Am I being over protective? I would LOVE not to have to go freeze my butt off while they trick or treat!!!
I wonder if you get a lot of 'outsiders' coming to your neighborhood, lots of people you don't know, increased traffic, that kind of thing?
If it's just the neighborhood kids and some of their parents running around I would be fine with slightly older kids going in small groups without an adult.

Old 10-26-2016, 11:07 PM

15,534 posts, read 10,507,413 times
Sixth grade, in a group. They weren't allowed to go beyond the two streets south and the two streets north of our street. They didn't know it, but I shadowed them on my bicycle. Luckily, for their sake, they stuck to the rules.

Old 10-27-2016, 02:09 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,502,256 times
Quote:

In a group, once my kid was about 8, I think. And only in our neighborhood, and don't think for a second I (and my neighbor friends) weren't watching. LOL. We were. Just wanted the group of kids think they were all on their own, independent. That's what is so magical about trick or treating on Halloween. Of course it depends on your neighborhood. Biggest fear here was cars (traffic), kids crossing the street.

Old 10-27-2016, 03:57 AM

5,452 posts, read 4,056,924 times
we always used to go alone (with other kids) when I was growing up in the 1960's. AND we went after dark. AND nobody dared to touch any of my candy after to make cookies with or anything!!

Halloween ain't what it used to be.

And before you say, those were different times, we had at least two child molesters that I know of living in the area.

Old 10-27-2016, 04:14 AM

110 posts, read 134,286 times
Quote:

It's just a tv show. You really can't be that gullible....... to answer your question, no; I would never let my child trick or treat alone until she's at least 17...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting