Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 01:03 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,904,543 times

Advertisements

This story is my aunt and uncle's.

He was working in department store's shoe department. She came in and he helped her. After she left with shoes, he regretted not asking her out, but he was extremely shy. A month later she came back for another pair of shoes. Again, he got tongue-tied and didn't ask her out. A month later she returned; he put a note in her shoe box, asking her if she'd consider going out with him. She came back to store the very next day and they were married in 6 months!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 01:09 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
This story is my aunt and uncle's.

He was working in department store's shoe department. She came in and he helped her. After she left with shoes, he regretted not asking her out, but he was extremely shy. A month later she came back for another pair of shoes. Again, he got tongue-tied and didn't ask her out. A month later she returned; he put a note in her shoe box, asking her if she'd consider going out with him. She came back to store the very next day and they were married in 6 months!
Aww, he's lucky she loved shoe shopping!

Old 10-27-2016, 01:55 PM

390 posts, read 379,847 times
My Mom's sister was married to my Dad's best army buddy. They fixed him up with my Mom but he dumped her right before prom her senior. She ended up marrying someone else and had 2 kids. He was not a good person. Mom ended up leaving and met my Dad again. They could not get married because she was not divorced yet. She moved to Reno and established herself with a job so she could get a divorce. It was finalized and her and Dad got married. They were married 46 years until the day he passed. it was all pretty scandalous back then. Seems pretty mild now....

Old 10-27-2016, 02:16 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times
my parents met in Texas

Old 10-27-2016, 03:22 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,681,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
my parents met in Texas
Gosh, you don't have to be THAT specific!

Old 10-27-2016, 05:01 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
At the Algonquin Hotel in NYC. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algonquin_Hotel

They were both guests at a party.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:40 PM

4,205 posts, read 4,457,265 times
My Dad returned back home (WW2 for 4 years) after discharge from military in late 1945, and my mom and dad met sometime in late 1946 at a neighborhood dance. She was 21 Dad was 26. They used to joke about it since there was a popular song at the same time and both mom and dad would sing it whenever someone brought the topic up. The shared 53 years together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsLVseEY6Uc

Mom's parents met in Croatia. Her dad (my grandfather) had returned after working in USA for about 16 years in various jobs with intent of returning to Croatia. On his return he spies an 18 yo working in the field outdoors and married her - he was 29. Miraculously, they made it out of Europe after outbreak of WW1 as the idea of returning to America instead was much more pleasant than a region engulfed in war.

Last edited by ciceropolo; 10-27-2016 at 08:47 PM.. Reason: additional

Old 10-27-2016, 09:58 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,507,241 times
My parents met at a small liberal arts college. I don't know the details, though! I'll have to ask my mom. My mom graduated in 3.5 years and they married in January of senior year (just after my mom graduated, and my dad graduated the following June). While they were on their honeymoon, my dad's best friend (who happened to be a distant relative of my mom's) came in and turned all their furniture upside down in their shared apartment. Such fun antics back in the early '60s

Old 10-27-2016, 11:53 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
My Mom met my Dad at the funeral of her favorite brother, who worked on the PA Railroad and had gotten killed in a box-car accident. Dad worked with George on the railroad. Mom was completely devastated and had zero interest in my Dad or anything else but her grief, but apparently Dad kept after her. My grandmother warned my Mom that he was "a drinker", and that he turned out to be, but Mom was starry-eyed and married her Navy boy before he went off to serve in WW II. His drinking really affected my home life and eventually he lost his railroad job and a business, and then we had to sell two houses to pay legal fees because he got in trouble with the law, it was just peachy. He was cheating on Mom also so they eventually separated after 25 years of marriage. He left town with another woman. He was such a disappointment in my life (only child) that I think that's why I have problems with men -- I put them on pedestals at first and then they disappoint me by not living up to my unrealistic expectations.

Old 10-28-2016, 12:07 AM

2 posts, read 1,198 times
They where both an employee in a cruise ship. My mom was cocktail waitress and my father was a bartender
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting