Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 10:38 PM

31 posts, read 42,827 times

Advertisements

I am wondering if I should tell them my crazy stories to help our dialogue.

I suppose it would shock them but I want them to know that I had parents that did not care what I was doing so I did things I wasn't suppose to...

I care about them and I don't want them to do stupid things like I did. Will exposing my past HELP or HINDER?

What kinds of experiences have you told your teens? And have they backfired or helped with dialogue and trust etc..

TIA,

Lovely Sky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 07:04 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,575,161 times
How old are the kids and how crazy are the stories? If it will start a dialogue go for it but also keep in mind they may say "well mom did this when she was my age so it's ok."

Old 11-02-2016, 08:13 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,854,685 times
Nope. Well I did share with my teens some things. Not stories, but biographical information. I shared that I experimented with pot and alcohol when we discussed it. Things like that. But no, i didn't share the wild nights I used to have or the adventures I had when I ran away.

I just think you have to be smart. Much of it they don't want to hear. You are still a hero to them, even if they don't act like it. So that line between parent and child has to stay clear. Sharing a bunch of stories becomes like teen talk if you aren't careful.

My mom told me a lot of things that really upset me about her teen years. I would feel bad for her, or I would think less of her (which hurts) or I would feel like "well she did it, so can I".

I guess it depends on what the stories are and how you go about it. Are they to illustrate a message?

Old 11-02-2016, 08:30 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,667,926 times
I've shared some experiences as my daughter has gotten older, but certainly not details of any of the really stupid stuff I did. It's a fine line between wanting to let them know that you're human and that everyone does crazy things in their youth and having them hear you as giving permission for doing their own crazy things. I'm a big believer in keeping the voice in their head that says, "Mom would kill me if she knew I was going to do this."

Old 11-02-2016, 08:39 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,071,791 times
It depends.

I have told my children general stories, or modified stories but not the entire unvarnished truth. And, I usually frame the stories in "I wish that I had done it this way" or "I should have done that". Or I share stories about "a friend of mine".

But, the bottom line is that teens and adults often need to make their own mistakes so that they can learn from them.

Now, serious, potential life threatening things, drugs, alcohol, suicide, etc., I tried to give much stronger "lessons" about these things.

You also have to consider that your teens look up to you and respect you as an adult and as a parent. If you told them all of the stupid things that you did as a teen could they still respect you?

Old 11-02-2016, 08:41 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,071,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I've shared some experiences as my daughter has gotten older, but certainly not details of any of the really stupid stuff I did.
It's a fine line between wanting to let them know that you're human and that everyone does crazy things in their youth and having them hear you as giving permission for doing their own crazy things. I'm a big believer in keeping the voice in their head that says, "Mom would kill me if she knew I was going to do this."
"It's a fine line between wanting to let them know that you're human and that everyone does crazy things in their youth and having them hear you as giving permission for doing their own crazy things."

That is an excellent point.

Old 11-02-2016, 09:32 AM

31 posts, read 42,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Nope. Well I did share with my teens some things. Not stories, but biographical information. I shared that I experimented with pot and alcohol when we discussed it. Things like that. But no, i didn't share the wild nights I used to have or the adventures I had when I ran away.

I just think you have to be smart. Much of it they don't want to hear. You are still a hero to them, even if they don't act like it. So that line between parent and child has to stay clear. Sharing a bunch of stories becomes like teen talk if you aren't careful.

My mom told me a lot of things that really upset me about her teen years. I would feel bad for her, or I would think less of her (which hurts) or I would feel like "well she did it, so can I".

I guess it depends on what the stories are and how you go about it. Are they to illustrate a message?
Thank You EVERYONE for sharing your thoughts.

I really needed to hear the things each one of you said.

I will NOT be sharing my stories.

I want to keep that voice in their head, "moms gonna kill me" as Marlow mentioned.

And, YES, HighFlyingBird I want them to not feel sorry for me. I want them to respect me.

Thank you again!! I really needed some good advice!

~Lovely Sky

Old 11-02-2016, 10:51 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,324,934 times
I have no crazy stories to tell. I was a very straight-laced kid.

Old 11-02-2016, 11:01 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,255,285 times
I wasn't a crazy kid either. As a human, I've made mistakes. I sometimes share those when I think they are old enough to understand the issue.

Old 11-02-2016, 12:22 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,861,447 times
no. my teen is 13.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting