Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 05:53 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,552,858 times

Advertisements

Then I guess 95% of the college population are true alchoholics and need to go to AA...

It is a phase...she will get over it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 08:58 AM

22,180 posts, read 19,221,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
Then I guess 95% of the college population are true alchoholics and need to go to AA...

It is a phase...she will get over it...
would you say the same about shooting heroin? or compulsive gambling? or nicotine addiction? "it is a phase, she will get over it" ?? talk to the people who are around the person too, their friends, family, for their take on the problem. Problem drinking is "not a phase" though the denial of the problem and it's serioiusness to both the person and their loved ones is part of the chaos.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:01 AM
b75

950 posts, read 3,463,605 times
The issue I think here is that you keep defining the OP's daughter as being a "problem drinker." However, that label is not necessarily accurate and certainly not able to be derived from the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja View Post
would you say the same about shooting heroin? or compulsive gambling? or nicotine addiction? "it is a phase, she will get over it" ?? talk to the people who are around the person too, their friends, family, for their take on the problem. Problem drinking is "not a phase" though the denial of the problem and it's serioiusness to both the person and their loved ones is part of the chaos.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:14 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Ok. This is a girl who's got a head on her shoulders. It seems as though you have done a good job with her, you've counselled her about your opinions on overdrinking, and now you must let her find her way.
I remember at that age getting drunk more than a few times, but then quickly figured out that moderation was a better way to go.
As a mother, I would be vigilent until I was sure she is not prone to alcoholism, and if she is, then that's another story.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:18 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,485,841 times
The OP's daughter sounds similar to me when I was her age. I didnt know the name of it then, but now they call it a "binge" drinker. I could go months without drinking.But when i did drink, lookout brother! i would drink til they through me out! Now i just stay out of bars and just have a few cold beers watching the game on TV.

Old 12-24-2008, 03:37 AM
bpm

1 posts, read 1,528 times
There is a direct link between alcohol and cancer. For women, it is particularly more problematic since even with alcoholic moderation, alcohol can lead to breast cancer.

Since 2001, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has included alcohol on its list of carcinogens. Do your own homework and you'll understand alcohol is a toxic chemical.

Old 12-24-2008, 04:54 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,173,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Ok. This is a girl who's got a head on her shoulders. It seems as though you have done a good job with her, you've counselled her about your opinions on overdrinking, and now you must let her find her way.
As someone who is reasonably close to your daughters age bracket, I would say that what she is doing sounds just like about everyone I know that has an active social life.

Let it be, she is grown, and independant. She is just cutting loose a bit, let her have some fun.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:01 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
I see this is an old post that's been bumped back up.

To the OP, how is your daughter now?
Drinking - when we are teens, drinking is such a big thing. We live for the day we're 21 and can legally taste it. Some of us go overboard, some eventually stop, others don't.

I look back now and wonder where parts of my life are. No clue, I don't remember a lot of it.
The hang over, oh how I don't miss that.

Your daughter sounds successful.
As long as she's not driving or hurting anyone, I wouldn't make a big thing of it.
hopefully the appeal will wear off.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:47 AM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,142,567 times
It is so hard to watch a loved one take a dangerous path. Drinking to excess leaves a young girl open to harm.

Make sure you point out the stories in the papers about the young girls leaving bars that are never seen from again. There have been a few in NYC very recently.

Also that she never leaves her drink unattended & available for someone to put the rape drug in.

& how important it is to always have a friend with you-to have her back.

Drinking to excess pulls down your personal barriers & opens you up to harmful situations.

Wishing her common sense & good luck.

Old 12-26-2008, 05:43 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
I could be wrong about this, but I think most people who turn into alcoholics have a hereditary tendency to that.

I would suggest this. Don't try to browbeat her about it, but suggest this as an alternative. Tell her to drink responsibly as much as she enjoys drinking, keep track of her opportunities or inclinations to drink. But one opportunity out of three, refuse. Just say no. Then she can drink a couple of more times, and then she has to use restraint again. Explain that if she gets to the point where she can't do that, the desire is just too strong, then she will know herself that she is in serious trouble and needs help. Tell her she is responsible for her own life, but your advice is to make sure she can always restrain herself if she needs t, and keep proving that to herself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting