Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2016, 04:11 PM

2,405 posts, read 1,445,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just A Guy View Post
Legally protesting? I wouldn't have to. People don't get arrested for demonstrating within the law.
Never?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2016, 04:18 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,679,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OotsaPootsa View Post
We have "betters" in the USA? Who are they?
Why, the educated ones of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
I'm thinking civil disobedience. There are some causes worth getting arrested for.
And like I said in my first post... if my kids have the courage of their convictions to get arrested for them, then I'm not going to get in their way.

Last edited by Bitey; 11-16-2016 at 04:29 PM..

Old 11-16-2016, 04:43 PM

772 posts, read 390,534 times
No!
I have always told my child don't give in the mob mentality.
It leads to possible injury, jail record and death.
My child knows that if she chose to participate instead of working or going to school, you are own your own..... don't expect me to bail you out.
I will allow you to learn your lesson the hard way!

Old 11-16-2016, 05:01 PM

Did the Malheur protesters' parents want to bail them out?

Old 11-16-2016, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Why, the educated ones of course.
Feeling inadequate? No need. In America, we're all equal. No "betters".

Old 11-16-2016, 05:04 PM

9,981 posts, read 5,679,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OotsaPootsa View Post
Feeling inadequate? No need. In America, we're all equal. No "betters".
I take it you weren't following the conversation...

Old 11-16-2016, 05:44 PM

32 posts, read 23,499 times
In almost all circumstances - yes. Innocent until proven guilty.

My high school aged daughter led a political protest this spring and I was very proud of her.

I've been instilling a passion for activism in my kids since they were toddlers. Raising apathetic children is one of my greatest fears.

Last edited by imagining_; 11-16-2016 at 06:52 PM..

Old 11-16-2016, 06:22 PM

3,766 posts, read 4,103,798 times
Not only would I not bail them out, I would immediately disown them. And my decision has nothing to do with politics, or who won or who lost. My decision is based on how I expect children to behave, not misbehave.

I have no problem with people protesting, if it is a good cause (i.e. the civil rights protests of the early 1960s). What is going on is not protesting, and I yet to figure out the cause/reason.

Old 11-16-2016, 06:39 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times
I took my daughter to her first protest. You bet I'd bail her out. Any day, any time, any crime.

Old 11-16-2016, 07:52 PM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,219 times
Quote:
civil disobedience
Examples Word Origin
See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
noun
the refusal to obey certain laws or governmental demands for the purpose of influencing legislation or government policy, characterized by the employment of such nonviolent techniques as boycotting, picketing, and nonpayment of taxes.
Compare noncooperation (def 2), passive resistance.
Quote:
“Civil Disobedience” definition

(1849) An essay by Henry David Thoreau. It contains his famous statement “That government is best which governs least,” and asserts that people's obligations to their own conscience take precedence over their obligations to their government. Thoreau also argues that if, in following their conscience, people find it necessary to break the laws of the state, they should be prepared to pay penalties, including imprisonment.
Protesting is our right and our obligation if we see things that are wrong. If my child were arrested for protesting, I would first have to determine if they were doing something that was detrimental to another human or someone's property.

Depending on the situation, I would hope that they would know that in order to accomplish their goals, going to jail is part and parcel of gaining attention to the situation.

As for bailing them out, it really depends on exactly why they are in jail. There is no easy answer really. I know my kids, I cannot see them doing anything that would cause them to do anything that would get them jailed.

If it was me, I have no problem sitting in jail for protesting something that I feel strongly enough to protest against. That is my choice. I will live with my choice. I would hope they feel the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting