Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 10:52 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times

Advertisements

Protestors, rarely get arrested, even those who get arrested, rarely actually get charged with a crime. Usually they get arrested, warned about blah blah blah, and released without being charged.

So the premise is a bit flawed. But yes, I would give my child bail money under almost any circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
Do your own research, please. I spent 15 years in school learning how to read and evaluate research, but most things today are easily Googled. In short, a lot of research shows that "helicopter" parenting and "coddling" are not a recent trend, or a bad thing, but rather the way those higher on the socio-economic ladder have always helped their children, which is why their children are more successful than those left to go it alone.
Having taught at a high school that is primarily populated by those at the higher end of socioeconomic ladder I can attest to the fact that helicoptering is in fact a newer trend and is very different from the more typical supportive behaviors of parents who traditionally emphasize education.

Parents who have access to better resources tend to get tutors, send kids to academic enrichment experiences like study abroad, pay for SAT courses, provide transportation to and from things like internships and what not. "Helicopter" parents typically expect multiple daily communication form the teacher, including lists of homework and projects for the parents. "Helicopter" parents hire private investigators to generate dossiers of damning materials and photos of students who are competing with their own for particular positions. Basically helicopter parents go beyond supporting the student, to dictating.

Old 11-16-2016, 11:04 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
If you've been arrested for it, there's a good chance you were making a nuisance of yourself while doing it. I can't think of any recent examples off the top of my head where protesters were arrested just for protesting and otherwise minding their own business rather than being disorderly about it.
I'm thinking civil disobedience. There are some causes worth getting arrested for.

Old 11-16-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
I don't know, but I'd be disappointed if I sent my kid to college and that is how they used up their time. Like I said on another thread, people who work, have jobs and study hard don't have time for things like protesting. They might also benefit from taking a government or poly sci class, and learn about how our system of checks and balances works. We don't live in a dictatorship and there is no need to protest what they are protesting right now.
Says you. America was built on protesting.

Protesting religious freedom (or the lack there of), protesting taxation without representation, protesting for all manner of civil rights. The list goes on and on and on. We are literally a nation of whiners who showed that if you whine loud enough, often enough, and even sometimes violently enough, you can change the world.

Protesting maybe the most american thing you can do. I may not have agreed when the conservatives/tea partiers (who are actually named after a protest) protested anytime Obama did anything, but to steal from Voltaire, I will protect their right to protest to the death.

People whine about the millenials not caring about anything, they whine when they care too much, they whine about them in every way. I say any time kids are passionate about something it is far better than when they are blase, and if that translates to protests or marching around, so be it, there is plenty of time to be old an cynical later.

Old 11-16-2016, 11:13 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,250,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Says you. America was built on protesting.

Protesting religious freedom (or the lack there of), protesting taxation without representation, protesting for all manner of civil rights. The list goes on and on and on. We are literally a nation of whiners who showed that if you whine loud enough, often enough, and even sometimes violently enough, you can change the world.

Protesting maybe the most american thing you can do. I may not have agreed when the conservatives/tea partiers (who are actually named after a protest) protested anytime Obama did anything, but to steal from Voltaire, I will protect their right to protest to the death.

People whine about the millenials not caring about anything, they whine when they care too much, they whine about them in every way. I say any time kids are passionate about something it is far better than when they are blase, and if that translates to protests or marching around, so be it, there is plenty of time to be old an cynical later.
Can't rep you but well said!

Old 11-16-2016, 11:46 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
nope, not my problem. if my child was arrested for protesting, obviously it would be for something he believes in. it isnt my responsibility to bail him out.

i didnt do it.
i didnt cause it.

Old 11-16-2016, 11:58 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Protestors, rarely get arrested, even those who get arrested, rarely actually get charged with a crime. Usually they get arrested, warned about blah blah blah, and released without being charged.

So the premise is a bit flawed. But yes, I would give my child bail money under almost any circumstances.
This country seems to have a very short memory...

Old 11-16-2016, 11:58 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
So much for this not getting political...

Well, rioting is a political act in itself. If the kid does it legally, that's one thing. It's another story entirely if he's up to no good.

Old 11-16-2016, 12:05 PM

635 posts, read 784,333 times
I would wonder why they are not in school. That everyone needs to live with election results.Life doesn't always go the way you want it to. I would let them sit a night in jail.

Old 11-16-2016, 12:07 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Not unless it was to protest something I believed in, too, and only if they had not done anything violent personally. Btw, the only other thing i would bail my child out for would be for something relatively very minor, like an unpaid parking ticket.

I would never bail out my child for committing a felony, however, unless I was 99% sure she was innocent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting