Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 05:49 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,306,731 times

Advertisements

I have found children seem to just run hotter than adults. My granddaughter, who is almost 8, is never cold even when I am sitting on the couch with warm p.j.'s, socks and a throw over me. If something like seeing kids not dressed the way you think they should be dressed bothers you enough to make a thread about it, I can't imagine the anxiety you must live with on a daily basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2016, 06:19 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,583,558 times
I am a fan of letting children make decisions and suffering the consequences. At 6 that's being cold if he leaves the house without a coat. The next time he grabs a coat. I personally think that allowing small children to make small mistakes is part of teaching them about decisions and consequences while the stakes are small. I'd much rather him learn it now than later.

Also if I'm just running into a store I may not think to grab coats. Both the car and store have heat so I'm not really getting the big deal here...

Old 12-06-2016, 06:21 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,437,624 times
My wife thinks anything below 80 is cold and wears long sleeves and below 70 will probably put on a jacket.
I think anything over 80 is hot and anything above 40 is shorts weather. If it is above 60, I'm probably in short sleeves.

We have two kids that take after her, and two that take after me. All but the 3 year old are in charge of dressing themselves and seem to do so rather appropriately in my opinion.
I do also think kids tend to run a little warmer than most adults, probably because they still have some baby fat on them to help keep them warm.

Old 12-06-2016, 06:28 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
What horrible things do you think are going to happen to these children??

They might get...wet?!? Aagh!!!

Yeah, you should have called CPS immediately.
I agree, then you can waste CPSs time and they can laugh at you when they hang up.

Poor sally and johnny...save them from nature!!!!!!!!!!!! Hurry!!!

Old 12-06-2016, 07:29 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,732,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
You know....part of parenting is also stepping back and letting them make some choices, suffer the consequences (and conversely reaping the rewards) of their own decisions. It's appropriate to do that starting with small things that aren't super important. Like deciding whether to wear coats in situations that while they may regret their decision, won't actually cause harm.

And here in Colorado it isn't unusual to see people in shorts while it's snowing, so coatless for a short walk in 50 degree rain I wouldn't blink at.

Thanks for your parenting advice. The OP was looking for your an opinion, not me. I agree, sometimes you do need to step back and let children learn from their mistakes; however, I will intervene when I feel it's necessary. Everyone parents differently. I personally don't think a five year old should be making the decision on if they wear a coat or not. And a baby obviously can't make that decision regardless.

Old 12-06-2016, 07:44 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,298,921 times
Meh. I pick my battles. A few times of freezing their arses off because they thought they knew better than me and they started happily putting on their coats. Another favorite was ignoring me when I told them to wait to eat because the food was too hot. He didn't listen and burned his mouth. Last time he did that. Kids are like that, many times have to learn for themselves. Its not abuse. Its learning from experience.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:17 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
Thanks for your parenting advice. The OP was looking for your an opinion, not me. I agree, sometimes you do need to step back and let children learn from their mistakes; however, I will intervene when I feel it's necessary. Everyone parents differently. I personally don't think a five year old should be making the decision on if they wear a coat or not. And a baby obviously can't make that decision regardless.
Of course everyone parents differently. Which is why I said "part of parenting is also..."

I was responding specifically to your comment:

Quote:
... It's called being a parent and teaching kids what to do.
Which certainly seems to imply that those who don't dictate clothing choices aren't really parenting. At least not properly.

Additionally, when you choose to post your thoughts on a discussion forum, be prepared for them to be discussed. Even if you aren't the OP.

Last edited by maciesmom; 12-06-2016 at 09:09 AM..

Old 12-06-2016, 08:40 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,959,730 times
Quote:
Up till the age of 5 I picked out my kids clothes for them. After that I advised them what to wear. Such as, it's cold wear long sleeves, it's hot wear shorts. They picked the rest. Even now my oldest is 10 and I'm not going to let her wear shorts when it's snowing outside! Nope! It's called being a parent and teaching kids what to do.

It's also called pick your battles.

I use to fight my daughter every morning in November when she was in Kindergarten because she wanted to wear shorts. Finally, one day I had enough. I said fine wear shorts. If you get cold at school don't call me because I won't bring you anything. She never did call. You know why she didn't call, her school is a hot box. The heat is on 80 degrees and the kids are hot. They don't go outside at recess if it's under a certain temp or if it's raining. The bus stop is at the bottom of our cul-de-sac and they wait in our garage before they go down to the bus. It's not something I will fight about any longer. It doesn't make me a bad parent, I just know our circumstances and my kids.

My son is the same way this year. He's in 3rd grade. His classroom is hot (I volunteer in his classroom every Friday)and if he wears pants he gets to hot.

I do have a certain tempature that I will make him wear pants and he knows what it is. We haven't gotten there yet. We live in North Carolina. I also have to remember that I grew up in Northern IN. My kids will never know what that kind of cold feels like. I remember it well but haven't lived there in 20 + years. My idea and their idea of cold are two different things.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:59 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,336,915 times
Quote:

I think they were just agreeing with you and adding their thoughts to go along with yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Meh. I pick my battles. A few times of freezing their arses off because they thought they knew better than me and they started happily putting on their coats. Another favorite was ignoring me when I told them to wait to eat because the food was too hot. He didn't listen and burned his mouth. Last time he did that. Kids are like that, many times have to learn for themselves. Its not abuse. Its learning from experience.
I would also like to add to the above (which I agree with totally!), the OP could have been witnessing a teaching moment.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:04 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,554,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM-Texas View Post
Having been out on these cold rainy days, I am appalled by the parents having their little kids walk through this stuff in light shirts. No rain jacket, umbrella or whatever.

The other day in the middle of the cold, hard, downpour at Bass Pro - I saw a 'mom' walk out what look like a 7 and 5 year old in just a long sleeve polo shirt. What was worse was what looked like a month old infant in car seat in just a PJ outfit and no covering. If you have the money to go to Bass Pro for toys - you have the money to buy some jackets. Today, I saw Mom and Dad in parkas and a little girl in such a long sleeved shirt in the cold.
What is it exactly that's a problem?

it's not cold enough for frostbite. They're not at risk of anything except getting wet and feeling cold.

And how exactly do you force a child to leave a jacket on? There's no risk of illness (you get sick due to a virus or bacterium, not the weather), so can't see why it's a problem for anyone except the kid who may get grouchy because he's cold. And I'm willing to bet huge sums that the parent told the kid to wear a jacket, and the kid took it off.

(For clarity since this was moved from the San Antonio group - this was posted in San Antonio, where it was in the mid-50s and rainy. As it was in the 80s and dry a few days before, many of us felt the cold, but having lived in places where frost bite really is a risk, the 'cold' in San Antonio is a blip)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting