Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 08:28 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,017,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miatakid View Post
You guys can stop ragging on me. It's just before I got my license I automatically assumed the rest of the kids my age at my school would be paying for their own car too but I was mistaken. This time next year I'll be cruising in a Miata.

Don't let them get to you, your first post did kind of give the impression you were maybe expecting your parents to just give you a car.

Having a goal of getting a job and saving to buy a car for yourself is worthy and responsible at your age.

Mazda Miata's are great little cars, but I urge you to continue to show your responsibility once you have it by being a careful and safe driver. Do not give in to any urge to race it on the street, or to drink and drive, or do drugs and drive.

Good luck!

Old 12-06-2016, 08:28 PM

202 posts, read 250,971 times
Many of the college students I encounter still drive beaters or have never owned a car at all. Overall car ownership seems to be going down among younger people.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:31 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
I bought my own car, and since it was a piece of junk I pushed it to school, uphill both ways, in the snow.

Seriously, you are not the only teenager who has to buy your own car.

Either they really can't afford it , in which case you need to learn about money/financial responsibility and get off their backs.

Or they are trying to give you an important learning experience, in which case you should prove yourself responsible and get a job.

Old 12-06-2016, 08:33 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,101,447 times
Quote:
1995 Miata NA .
I have two. 1997 Miata M Edition JR supercharged and 1995 FM Turbo.

I'd recommend keeping yours normal aspirated and go as light and stiff as possible.... more fun on the street when sheer power doesn't matter as much AND it will keep you out of trouble. Get a hard top and Blizzaks or Alpine snow tires on steelies for the winter.

Love em. Too bad they spend most of the time in storage since the children were born. Enjoy before you have family.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:06 PM

15 posts, read 8,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I have two. 1997 Miata M Edition JR supercharged and 1995 FM Turbo.

I'd recommend keeping yours normal aspirated and go as light and stiff as possible.... more fun on the street when sheer power doesn't matter as much AND it will keep you out of trouble. Get a hard top and Blizzaks or Alpine snow tires on steelies for the winter.

Love em. Too bad they spend most of the time in storage since the children were born. Enjoy before you have family.
I live in LA so no snow. Top down year round will do for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I bought my own car, and since it was a piece of junk I pushed it to school, uphill both ways, in the snow.

Seriously, you are not the only teenager who has to buy your own car.

Either they really can't afford it , in which case you need to learn about money/financial responsibility and get off their backs.

Or they are trying to give you an important learning experience, in which case you should prove yourself responsible and get a job.
I'm not saying I expected my parents to buy me a car. I knew from the jump I was buying my own car, I just wasn't expecting my friends to get cars from their parents because they are always asking me for spare money and they claim they're poor.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:51 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
My dad told me I could have any car I want...as long as I could afford to buy it. I always had a car in high school, but it was one I had bought with the money I earned over the summer.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:20 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,003,983 times
A teen who can afford to buy a car? Wow. Good for you!

I bought my first 11-yr old Fiat junkbox at age 21 for $800 cash from my FT job making $110/wk, before taxes, which took 1-yr to save. It must have been that lime green rusted beauty that drew me in. It ran a few times & I got used to the carbon monoxide billowing into the interior, but mostly I could sit in it, out on the street, to pay my bills in peace & quiet. Today, that could be prime real estate & rented as a tiny flat, but then it was an expensive-to-insure box to store extra cat litter & snow shovels.

Sounds like you're a bit envious, but turn it around & feel good with yourself that you're capable to put in the effort to buy a car should you really want one. It can sting a bit, but learn to accept it & move forward to planning all the nice car trips you'll have on days off.

But, I understand. I'm still bitter that George Clooney didn't chase me down to propose. I had the rhinestone tiara & everything.

Seriously, good luck buying your car. In a bit of time, feeling peeved now will have little meaning to you, cuz you'll be busy having fun & building a life & career. Forget about comparing yourself to others. It never leads to feeling better. Someone's always richer, taller, prettier... it only has meaning if you focus on it.

Old 12-06-2016, 11:15 PM

I don't have a job just yet guys. It's going to be a long time until I land a job.

Old 12-06-2016, 11:51 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,003,983 times
Quote:
I don't have a job just yet guys. It's going to be a long time until I land a job.
Then, why do you need a car? Where are you going that walking or taking your bike or skateboard can't take you?

Old 12-07-2016, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Then, why do you need a car? Where are you going that walking or taking your bike or skateboard can't take you?
I'm getting a car so I can drive. Instead of using aforementioned modes of transportation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting