Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 07:53 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

Forget all the "what it would really cost" stuff.

For me, here's the general rule of thumb:

Paying for another adult's college tuition may be a CHOICE I make, but it's not a requirement. Anytime I'm supporting another adult, there are stipulations to that choice and one of those stipulations is "My money, my rules." If I give that person a choice, it will still be a choice between MY choices, if that makes sense.

In other words, "I'll pay for your college IF (fill in the blanks with things such as "IF you're also working part time" or "IF you maintain a certain GPA" or "IF you don't get arrested, don't get hooked on heroin, etc" or "IF you realize I'm only going to pay your tuition for four years max" or "IF you go to either College A or College B").
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2016, 08:00 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
I think you misread--I said that private schools are often less expensive than state schools, in-state schools even. I posted 2 examples already and posted a link to every Net Price Calculator so you can check the math yourself. The OP is ASSUMING instate is free, but where exactly is that state where people can go to a 4 year instate school for free? I never said private schools were free, just that they often work out to be less than state schools, in-state schools even, and almost always for out of state state schools. There are plenty of good, top 100 private colleges that give substantial merit aid that brings the net cost at or below state schools....

You are still missing the point, let's assume the fictional student WAS admitted to Harvard but yes, if you don't get in, it doesn't matter, but we are not discussing actual admission chances, we are discussing the net price of a school.

The bolded is where your problem lies.

"Sometimes" or "occasionally" would be more accurate.

Old 12-23-2016, 07:35 PM

388 posts, read 548,945 times
[quote=Qwerty;46595671]I think you misread--I said that private schools are often less expensive than state schools, in-state schools even. I posted 2 examples already and posted a link to every Net Price Calculator so you can check the math yourself. The OP is ASSUMING instate is free, but where exactly is that state where people can go to a 4 year instate school for free? I never said private schools were free, just that they often work out to be less than state schools, in-state schools even, and almost always for out of state state schools. There are plenty of good, top 100 private colleges that give substantial merit aid that brings the net cost at or below state schools....

@ Qwerty, the point is NPCs are not accurate in several common situations especially the one the OP finds himself in (non custodial). And in my state a decent student can pretty much go to 4 yr flagship or 4 yr competitive religious private school tuition free with a cobble of scholarships and regents or religious subjugation LOL. Great students can certainly get free tuition (say over 34 ACT decent gpa). The OP's kid has a COA to her of 28K. There are not many schools where instate tuition is in that ballpark. Some of them are almost tippy top publics, I for example would love be full pay parent instate at many more $$ in state schools (like some UCs, UT austin, A&M, , georgia tech). Maybe OP's kid lives in NEvada, NM, or Idaho.

Old 12-24-2016, 05:34 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,116,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Names, please.
Again, go to the links I posted.....but Harvard, Yale, Cornell, Penn State, Brown, just to start you off on the list...

Old 12-24-2016, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
The bolded is where your problem lies.

"Sometimes" or "occasionally" would be more accurate.
Nope, often is the proper word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeequeen View Post

@ Qwerty, the point is NPCs are not accurate in several common situations especially the one the OP finds himself in (non custodial). And in my state a decent student can pretty much go to 4 yr flagship or 4 yr competitive religious private school tuition free with a cobble of scholarships and regents or religious subjugation LOL. Great students can certainly get free tuition (say over 34 ACT decent gpa). The OP's kid has a COA to her of 28K. There are not many schools where instate tuition is in that ballpark. Some of them are almost tippy top publics, I for example would love be full pay parent instate at many more $$ in state schools (like some UCs, UT austin, A&M, , georgia tech). Maybe OP's kid lives in NEvada, NM, or Idaho.
Most state schools are very much in the 28K COA. You also have to compare apples to apples when you are comparing the 28K COA--which includes more than just tuition. You can't say that the 28K cost of attendance compares to just tuition at a state school.

University of Utah, in-state, family of 4 making 80K--with Utah being one of the least expensive state schools in the country.

Estimated Cost of Attendance
helpon Estimated Cost of Attendance
Estimated Total Cost of Attendance $ 22528$
CategoryCost
Tuition & Fees
helpon Tuition & Fees
$ 7382$
Room & Board
helpon Room & Board>
$ 10566$
Books & Supplies
helpon Books & Supplies
$ 1006$
Transportation
helpon Transportation
$ 1126$
Personal Expenses
helpon Personal Expenses
$ 2448$ Estimated Grant/Gift Aid
helpon Estimated Grant/Gift Aid
Estimated Total Grant/Gift Aid $ 800$
CategoryCost
State/Institutional Grant $ 800$
ESTIMATED NET PRICE
helpon ESTIMATED NET PRICE
$ 21728$

Last edited by Qwerty; 12-24-2016 at 05:47 AM..

Old 12-24-2016, 05:51 AM

Rankings of just tuition and fees, add on about 10K for room/board :

10 Colleges With the Highest Tuition for In-State Students | The Short List: Colleges | US News

average cost of in-state is a little over 24K

What's the Price Tag for a College Education? - COLLEGEdata - Pay Your Way

https://trends.collegeboard.org/coll...ear-percentage

Old 12-24-2016, 07:54 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,915,563 times
Quote:
Again, go to the links I posted.....but Harvard, Yale, Cornell, Penn State, Brown, just to start you off on the list...
Ivy League schools don't give merit awards

Old 12-24-2016, 12:13 PM

388 posts, read 548,945 times
@ Qwerty, OP clearly states kid would be a commuter at her all but free local. Again, you can add in numbers to make your point but most kids don't' get to go OOS and live in dorms. Living in a dorm with a meal plan is easily 12K where I live, I can pay for my kids car and he can commute from home, or he can use free surface rail (not feasible to us, but sure, fun for others). A meal plan is often about $10 a meal in a dorm, this is not the thing of standard families. Most kids don't get to stomp their feet and scream for Harvard. OP's kid is not at Harvard LOL. At the U many kids with an act of over 30 will get regents and 5K a yr scholarship, that makes tution all but free. Hardly any kids live in dorms, they are overpriced compared to house or flat shares. Most kids will live at home.

Old 12-25-2016, 10:35 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
Quote:
That is not the point....

The point is, for those looking at colleges, don't look at the price tag, do the net price calculators and see what your real cost will be and most private schools, because they have large endowments, are often less than going to your state schools. The poster questioned my statement, here are the numbers to back it up. If someone gets into Harvard, great, it's one of the least expensive schools around....net price, and you graduate debt free.
How can you say they graduate debt free when the aid breakdown YOU show has loans in it?

Old 12-26-2016, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
Ivy League schools don't give merit awards
True, I should have qualified that, but their financial aid is more generous than most....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
How can you say they graduate debt free when the aid breakdown YOU show has loans in it?
The Harvard example doens't have student loans in it

https://college.harvard.edu/financial-aid

front page of their website "100% of our students graduate debt free"....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting