Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2017, 04:04 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick85395 View Post
There's nothing sad about me. You're entitled to your opinions (and I really don't care about anyone's but mine), but compare children today, and I know this may be a broad brush (disrespectful, undisciplined, lazy, relatively promiscuous, spoiled, entitled) to those of us raised more than 30 years ago. I'm not suggesting that children be beaten to a pulp. Discipline should be appropriate to the offense and the child's age. I have nephews (different parents). They're parents did not spank them. . .and yes, they're brats, undisciplined, spoiled. . . .
Those are some rose-colored glasses you are wearing. Actually today's teens are better behaved than their parents were.

https://www.vox.com/a/teens

Quote:
Today’s teens are among the best-behaved generation of teens we know of.

10.8 percent of teens today smoke cigarettes. Twenty years ago, 34.8 percent of high school students did.

Teenagers today are 46 percent less likely to binge drink than teenagers 20 years ago. In fact, they’re 21 percent less likely to have ever tried alcohol at all.

In 1996, 5.6 percent of teen girls had babies. Now, that number is 2.3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 05:49 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Those are some rose-colored glasses you are wearing. Actually today's teens are better behaved than their parents were.

Here we go again. Kids today! When *I* was a boy...

Old 06-16-2017, 01:35 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:
There's nothing sad about me. You're entitled to your opinions (and I really don't care about anyone's but mine), but compare children today, and I know this may be a broad brush (disrespectful, undisciplined, lazy, relatively promiscuous, spoiled, entitled) to those of us raised more than 30 years ago. I'm not suggesting that children be beaten to a pulp. Discipline should be appropriate to the offense and the child's age. I have nephews (different parents). They're parents did not spank them. . .and yes, they're brats, undisciplined, spoiled. . . .
You're on the wrong side of this argument, clearly misguided by the abuse in your own past. And nana is right about your seeing the past through rose-colored glasses.

There were many more angry monsters created by abusive parents "back in the day" - because that's what beating a child does. Fills them with rage. We see lots less of that today and we are all better off for it.

Beating a child with an object is abuse - and yes, it is sadistic and it is sick. When it comes to child abuse, one opinion is not as valid as any. No one is "entitled" to beat a child or to be taken seriously when advocating it.

Frankly, I'd like to see this thread closed as there is no debate here. Child abuse is the one topic with no room for opposing sides and there should be no platform for the advocacy of violent and cruel behavior.

Old 06-16-2017, 04:27 AM

193 posts, read 183,313 times
We got the occasional spanking. No big deal to me. I still remember my aunt used timeouts with her daughter's. This was the first I had heard of it. I assume she did it wrong since they were the worst behaved kids I'd seen in person.

Old 06-17-2017, 07:59 PM

494 posts, read 501,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post

Uh, I suspect that's attributable to lower expectations placed on children.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:41 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,896,747 times
I was never hit with a belt when I was a kid. I was spanked with a wooden spoon (lol) and with a plain open hand on occasion when I had done something especially bad.

I personally would never use a belt on a kid.
My first preference is to not use physical methods of discipline, and to reserve a spank for a very special occasion.

I only swatted my daughter twice when she was a toddler. Once when she ran out into a road after being told 3 times not to and a second time when she dumped the dry cat food in the fish tank. It was a single swat on the backside and mostly meant to get her attention.

I also think that other methods--time out, earning/revoking privileges, etc. work better and are psychologically healthier for the kid.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:06 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Uh, I suspect that's attributable to lower expectations placed on children.
Read the article. Smoking, Drinking, and teen pregnancies are way down compared to their parents generation.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:18 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,073 times
when I was spanked, I got wise to the pain at a young age, and the spankings were comical indeed. learning how to deflect a belt , flip flop or switch was quick. I Never got hit with hands, and the spankings died out around 10 years of age. Did it work for me? I guess it did. This is not the solution for raising kids. Listening and planning their days for fun and experiment is.

Parents need to act right , at all times in front of their kids, and lead by example. Parents need to BE THERE, which is not always possible in a dual income household. Parents need to be OFF the bottle and other vices. Parents need to have self control , and not involve kids in their Adult Non-sense.

So kids are curious, let them be curious, let them skate on little things, they do not always have to face the harsh punishment , that is the belt. Other forms of discipline works, just be easy on dishing it out. The belt should only be used below the knees, and when they really mess up.

What is really messed up?
- intentionally causing major damage or hurt
-completely disrespecting parents with cursing and shouting, or hitting
-stealing money
-you know, thug sht.

But remember, monkey see monkey do, so don't show them how to be bad.

I know of many kids growing up, their dads thrashing them against a wall, having bloody brawls, mom is messed up on drugs, always a screaming match at home. their dads were lost bad asses themselves, only for their kids to follow in their footsteps, obligatorily. Very sad to see prison was not a scary place for them, but just summer camp.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:46 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
If only I could have given the belt to my father.....This post brought up some bad memories.

Old 06-21-2017, 04:54 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
when I was spanked, I got wise to the pain at a young age, and the spankings were comical indeed. learning how to deflect a belt , flip flop or switch was quick. I Never got hit with hands, and the spankings died out around 10 years of age. Did it work for me? I guess it did. This is not the solution for raising kids. Listening and planning their days for fun and experiment is.

Parents need to act right , at all times in front of their kids, and lead by example. Parents need to BE THERE, which is not always possible in a dual income household. Parents need to be OFF the bottle and other vices. Parents need to have self control , and not involve kids in their Adult Non-sense.

So kids are curious, let them be curious, let them skate on little things, they do not always have to face the harsh punishment , that is the belt. Other forms of discipline works, just be easy on dishing it out. The belt should only be used below the knees, and when they really mess up.

What is really messed up?
- intentionally causing major damage or hurt
-completely disrespecting parents with cursing and shouting, or hitting
-stealing money
-you know, thug sht.

But remember, monkey see monkey do, so don't show them how to be bad.

I know of many kids growing up, their dads thrashing them against a wall, having bloody brawls, mom is messed up on drugs, always a screaming match at home. their dads were lost bad asses themselves, only for their kids to follow in their footsteps, obligatorily. Very sad to see prison was not a scary place for them, but just summer camp.
Some good sense in this post, which contrasts with the puzzling highlighted comment. A belt or other object should never be used. Period.

I think you know better than to think, even for a moment, that beating a child teaches respect or deters them from hurtful behavior. Quite the opposite. It instills rage that will almost surely manifest itself in future harm to others or self.

A belt solves no problems. It creates them....or makes existing ones much worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting