Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 10:42 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,829,848 times

Advertisements

My parents tried to beat me with a belt.

I kicked the old man in the balls and they never tried it again.

But they constantly threatened to have me sent to reform school.

The reform school threat always came with the story of a kid they know who went there and was whipped to death.

They also threatened to have me lobotomized, and given shock therapy.

This was in the late 40's and early 50's and parents could really do those things.

When I was real young they threatened to give me to the "Rag Man" or "Black Mammy".

The "Rag Man" came around with a horse and wagon and would sing "Rags - I buy Rags".

I would have loved to go with him.

I had no idea who the "Black Mammy" was.

I figured it must be Aunt Jemima.

But I loved her pancakes and she looked really nice on the box so that threat didn't work either.

I left home as soon as I could, but years later we kind of reconciled because they wanted to see their grandkids.

But I never really felt "free" until they were dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 11:02 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
You would be wrong. Almost all those in prison were spanked and many were abused as children.

A study in Germany found that the lower rates of spanking there were correlated to less violent crime.
https://www.economist.com/charlemagn...be-statt-hiebe
violence causes violence , it always has.. bullied or abused children are usually cruel to animals and other children...

Old 07-17-2018, 10:42 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,273,411 times
Quote:
You would be wrong. Almost all those in prison were spanked and many were abused as children.

A study in Germany found that the lower rates of spanking there were correlated to less violent crime.
https://www.economist.com/charlemagn...be-statt-hiebe

This does not prove there is a direct correlation because it does not say what else went on in the person's life who was spanked or hard or how often and with what they were spanked. Maybe these people were hanging out with bad people, maybe they had bad parents maybe they had mental issues. Maybe even if they were not spanked they would still end up in prison many times it is more then one thing that leads people to go to prison.

Last edited by Storm Eagle; 07-17-2018 at 10:50 AM..

Old 07-17-2018, 10:50 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,273,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
violence causes violence , it always has.. bullied or abused children are usually cruel to animals and other children...

So how come me and my siblings who grew up being spanked are not violent people nor many other people who were spanked growing up?

Old 07-17-2018, 02:51 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
So how come me and my siblings who grew up being spanked are not violent people nor many other people who were spanked growing up?
Do you spank your own children? If so, that is violent.

Old 07-17-2018, 09:43 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,915,563 times
Quote:
How come my Mom smoked a pack a day for 25 years yet never got lung cancer?

Old 07-19-2018, 09:04 AM

20,382 posts, read 14,651,390 times
I think that many forms of corporal punishment for disciplining kids are abusive, wrong, and just don't accomplish the correct result. The only exception I believe in is very, very limited. When they are little toddlers, they have the ability to run but not yet the ability to really engage in much discussion about anything, sometimes getting through to them with time outs or other methods is just pointless. This peaks around age 3, I believe. My kids, adorable and adored as they were, they were little savages at age 3 if left to their own devices. If my child is going to put himself in danger because he's giggling and running into the street, and does not care if I put him in time out, and the only way to establish that I AM the adult here and you DO have to listen, is a swat with my hand on his backside, well that's what I was going to do.

We are talking about a startling swat on a diapered butt. Mostly to demand attention. Which very quickly transitions to "Do you need a spanking?" and then away from anything physical by the time they are like 5 or so. Once they're old enough to reason with, systems of rewards and redirection and revoking privileges worked better anyways.

I have found that people who hit kids with belts or other objects, are not flexible enough in their thinking to believe that there is any other way to discipline a kid's behavior, so as the kid gets older and that swat isn't effective anymore, they escalate the violence to more impactful (and abusive) measures. I recall how it felt the last time I got a serious spanking from my father when I was like...6 or 7 or something... I don't remember what I did. I do remember sobbing in my room, absolutely convinced that no one loved me. I don't think that was the lesson he was trying to teach, but it's the one I learned at the time and it's probably encoded some issues I've struggled with my whole life. So I definitely do not recommend beating on one's child until they cry as a means to try and teach them anything. At best it only teaches them to blindly obey whatever scares them and only respect threats and force. Rather than doing good in life because it's right, they only do good to avoid punishment. Not necessarily the best mindset to have.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
do you spank your kids.

Old 07-19-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Do you spank your own children? If so, that is violent.
even thinking its ok is violent and worrying.. think about it.. you hit a child.. a defenceless human being.. and they think its ok... in the name of discipline... thats not sorting out a problem, its only making it worse and that child hating you forever.. Some parents are just too lazy or ignorant to sit and talk it through or at least try and fix the problem.... taking about phones , computers and friends are a better deterrent than hitting..........you go to prison for slapping an adult in the street but some of these parents use belts , whips etc on their own children..diabolical madness. how do they sleep at night. happy in their inflicted torture on a child..

Old 07-19-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
This does not prove there is a direct correlation because it does not say what else went on in the person's life who was spanked or hard or how often and with what they were spanked. Maybe these people were hanging out with bad people, maybe they had bad parents maybe they had mental issues. Maybe even if they were not spanked they would still end up in prison many times it is more then one thing that leads people to go to prison.
Not that spanking is ever right but using an implement to hit takes it to another level, its not spanking in my books. its sadistic pleasure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting