Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 08:52 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I don't think I really quit loving my mother until recently. As I raise my own children and I see that it's not difficult to give the the love and guidance and basic necessities that I didn't get, it makes me angrier with my mother. I was a good kid. She didn't have to do that to me. She chose to do it.
I am so with you, Hedgehog_Mom.

I've even asked, present day, why they were so volatile...

"We didn't know any better. We didn't handle stress well"

True.

But, now, as a parent, I think...it's really not all that hard to model and teach kids how they should behave, or to learn new techniques when yours aren't working for you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 09:02 PM

1,850 posts, read 820,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
In many parts of the USA, in particular the more liberal/left states going "old school" on your child can and likely will end with a visit by LE and or child welfare agencies.
It's true, liberal states don't care if your child is having sex, but they do care if you discipline your child. They're so smart!!

Old 12-07-2016, 09:17 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
It's true, liberal states don't care if your child is having sex, but they do care if you discipline your child. They're so smart!!
How ridiculous. Children need discipline. Until they are capable of self-discipline, parents must help guide them towards that goal. Discipline is achievable without resorting to corporal punishment. It isn't easy, it isn't faster, but it is certainly doable.

Neither liberal nor conservative states have a say in how we raise our children, only in that we do so in a manner that isn't abusive.

Old 12-07-2016, 10:04 PM

783 posts, read 576,623 times
Like everything, it's not simply 'abuse or not'. It depends. Is it three lashes through clothing on the butt? Or is it 12 lashes on bare skin? Is this a 5 year old or a 12 year old?

My mother gave me plenty of licks with the belt (and other accessories) when I was younger. Did I like it? Of course not. Did it scar me forever and turn me into a serial killer? No. My mother was a single mother and I was a male child growing up in a very bad neighborhood. She had to do everything within her power to keep me from making bad choices and ending up a statistic. I don't blame her now that I am grown. She made sure I understood right from wrong, even when I didn't want to. I'm glad that she did it now.

Old 12-07-2016, 10:06 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,343,502 times
Let me say this again...
I got my ass lit by my dad's belt when I was a kid; many others of my generation got their asses lit by their parents. Didn't leave any physical scars, but it hurt like hell for a couple days to sit down. I'm not talking about actually using something hard, like the belt buckle; I'm referring to looping it and smacking the sitzplatz a couple of times. Nor am I talking dropping the britches and hitting bare ass, either! I'm saying that spanking was a part of upbringing. Used as a very last resort!

I've also heard of being "sent to bed without dinner". Now that I draw the line at. You don't make a child starve! But there's a fine line in punishment methods. Paddles, wiffle ball bats, cords...no. Just no. But most common were the belt or slipper on the pants.

Old 12-08-2016, 12:31 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,528,249 times
YOU are a CPS worker??

Nope.

If this was true, you would have learned, at the very least, through your required education & training, that the root word of "discipline" is "disciple"...as in teach. What does "the belt" teach?

Why would someone who is presenting as a trained professional ask this question on an internet forum?

Really, if you truly were a CPS worker, you would be a disgrace to the profession.

Last edited by MarciaMarshaMarcia; 12-08-2016 at 12:46 AM..

Old 12-08-2016, 01:39 AM

783 posts, read 576,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
YOU are a CPS worker??

Nope.

If this was true, you would have learned, at the very least, through your required education & training, that the root word of "discipline" is "disciple"...as in teach. What does "the belt" teach?

Why would someone who is presenting as a trained professional ask this question on an internet forum?

Really, if you truly were a CPS worker, you would be a disgrace to the profession.

Sometimes you have to get a kid to stop doing something before they can fully understand why they should not be doing it. The belt (or other physical discipline) teaches them not to go near/touch/do a certain action. It's basic conditioning. And sometimes the subject is too important. If a kid is continually pulling away from you and running away, they may not understand why they should not be doing this, but it's also such a potentially dangerous situation that physical punishment might be necessary to immediately connect the act of pulling/running away with the discomfort of the punishment so that they no longer do it.

So don't assume that 'the belt' can't teach anything.

Old 12-08-2016, 05:07 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
Discipline does not equal hitting. It isn't as if the choice is hit the kid with a belt or let them run wild.

Old 12-08-2016, 05:16 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,113,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post
Let me say this again...
I got my ass lit by my dad's belt when I was a kid; many others of my generation got their asses lit by their parents. Didn't leave any physical scars, but it hurt like hell for a couple days to sit down. I'm not talking about actually using something hard, like the belt buckle; I'm referring to looping it and smacking the sitzplatz a couple of times. Nor am I talking dropping the britches and hitting bare ass, either! I'm saying that spanking was a part of upbringing. Used as a very last resort!

I've also heard of being "sent to bed without dinner". Now that I draw the line at. You don't make a child starve! But there's a fine line in punishment methods. Paddles, wiffle ball bats, cords...no. Just no. But most common were the belt or slipper on the pants.
OP, you know we can all see your posting history, right...?

Old 12-08-2016, 06:04 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,929,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfternoonCoffee View Post
OP, you know we can all see your posting history, right...?

Apparently not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting