Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 06:46 PM

74 posts, read 294,570 times

Advertisements

My son is about 2 months old. His eye color is a dark blue/gray color. Maybe midnight blue. Sometimes his eyes look lighter or darker depending on the light. I have brown/green eyes and come from a family with brothers who all have blue eyes. My wife has greenish blue eyes and everyone in her family has the same eye color. Please tell me if your child was born with dark gray/dark blue eyes and what color did their eyes finally turn to. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 06:52 PM

12,420 posts, read 3,232,607 times
In my family there are blue eyes and hazel eyes. In my husband's family, everyone has blue or green eyes. Our daughter had blue /gray eyes. She is 21 now with green eyes...and they are beautiful.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:54 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
My children's eyes were brown when they were born, and they stayed brown. My husband has blue eyes. I have green eyes. Go figure.

Meanwhile, my sister and her husband both have brown eyes, but their children ended up with blue eyes at birth and beyond.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:17 PM

37 posts, read 79,019 times
I have brown eyes and my husband has blue. We have two sons with blue eyes (born and stayed) and one daughter with brown eyes. Our daughter was born with blue eyes and they slowly changed over her first six months. Now they are beautiful dark brown. Go figure.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:23 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,337,594 times
According to my spouse, if both brown-eyed parents have recessive blue-eyed genes and the child gets the recessive gene from both, the child will be blue-eyed. Also according to the spouse, two blue-eyed parents cannot have a brown-eyed child (not sure about blue eyed and green eyed parents).

My parents were both brown-eyed. I have blue eyes, my sister has brown eyes. I married a blue-eyed man, and both our children have blue eyes. My sister married a blue-eyed man, and one of their children has blue eyes and one has brown. Her brown-eyed daughter might have a blue-eyed child, if she carries a recessive blue-eyed gene and if she marries a man who is either blue-eyed or who also carries a recessive blue-eyed gene.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:26 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,055,772 times
Blue eyes for all four of us. Three of the grandparents have blue eyes, and one has green.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:34 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Blue eyes for all four of us too....I don't know of anyone in my family who doesn't have blue eyes...Not sure about DH's family....Seems to me some of his siblings have brown eyes....

Old 01-31-2010, 07:39 PM

88,591 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
According to my spouse, if both brown-eyed parents have recessive blue-eyed genes and the child gets the recessive gene from both, the child will be blue-eyed. Also according to the spouse, two blue-eyed parents cannot have a brown-eyed child (not sure about blue eyed and green eyed parents).

My parents were both brown-eyed. I have blue eyes, my sister has brown eyes. I married a blue-eyed man, and both our children have blue eyes. My sister married a blue-eyed man, and one of their children has blue eyes and one has brown. Her brown-eyed daughter might have a blue-eyed child, if she carries a recessive blue-eyed gene and if she marries a man who is either blue-eyed or who also carries a recessive blue-eyed gene.
That's what I had always heard. As a matter of fact, it was a clue in a book I read long ago whereby someone figured out that the brown-eyed child of a blue-eyed mother could not possibly have been fathered by the blue-eyed man she claimed was the father.

However, I since read somewhere else that this isn't necessarily true. I'm not sure how green eyes fit in--green eyes are a mutant gene, I believe.

Anyway, I Googled and found this explanation. It's unusual, but not impossible.

can blue eyed parents have a brown eyed child? - JustAnswer

Old 01-31-2010, 08:04 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
Mine are blue. DH's are hazel. Both sons have blue. They were born really dark blue and lightened up for several months to the color they are now.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:15 PM

758 posts, read 1,872,589 times
I have green eyes and DH has blue. All 4 of our kids have his blue eyes and his lazy eye! I don't think the lazy eye has anything to do with the color but I just thought it was funny in an odd sort of way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting