Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 08:41 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,971,228 times

Advertisements

Let me throw a curve ball....say your adult child pays for all their stuff, just doesn't pay rent and they do something that doesn't warrant getting kicked out but "punished", what do you do then?
You can't take away a car in their name, can't take away a cell phone in their name that they pay for....what do you do then if their things are in their name and the ONLY option is to kick them out but its not serious enough for that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 08:59 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Let me throw a curve ball....say your adult child pays for all their stuff, just doesn't pay rent and they do something that doesn't warrant getting kicked out but "punished", what do you do then?
You can't take away a car in their name, can't take away a cell phone in their name that they pay for....what do you do then if their things are in their name and the ONLY option is to kick them out but its not serious enough for that?
It is my house. I pay the mortgage. You don't like my rules, move out. You break my rules and refuse to follow my punishment (even if you paid for your own stuff), you get to find another place to live.

Following the rules of the house is part of being respectful to someone who is letting you live somewhere rent free.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:00 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,861,992 times
Quote:

you can take away the phone stating that no phones allowed in your house unless you pay rent .

Old 10-07-2011, 09:34 PM

Not legally.
If you haven't paid for it you cannot possess it against the other persons wishes.

Old 10-08-2011, 02:28 PM

17,366 posts, read 16,511,485 times
I haven't read of all of the posts. But I did have some thoughts on some general rules for college aged students living with their parents. I don't know if these would work for you, but they might be worth a try:

Instead of a curfew (those are hard to enforce) tell him that he needs to be home by 11:00pm every night or he will need to stay out/find another place to stay that night. If he does not plan to make it home, he should call and let you know that he is o.k. but will not be home - otherwise you will worry which is not fair to you.

He is not to bring a person into the home without prior approval. All guests will need to be gone by 11:00pm unless they have your approval to stay overnight.

You will not tolerate him driving home under the influence under any circumstances. He will need to call a cab or he will need to get a sober ride home - before 11:00pm. Otherwise, he will need to find a hotel room/stay with a friend.

School and work are his responsibilities. He is required to pay for his cell phone/car insurance, etc. If GPA falls below a certain point, you will be unable to continue to pay for his education.

His relationships are his responsibility.

He is responsible for household duties A, B, C. If those duties are not completed, rent will be charged.

Last edited by springfieldva; 10-08-2011 at 02:42 PM..

Old 10-08-2011, 03:07 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,861,992 times
[quote=txtqueen;21198832]Not legally.
If you haven't paid for it you cannot possess it against the other persons wishes.[/quotte] You are correct, however i can say you cannot bring the phone in my house or use it on my property which is legal .

Old 10-08-2011, 07:16 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,737,962 times
My 21 year old son lives on his own but comes up a little short sometimes paying rent and expenses etc. He makes minimum wage, college drop out. At this point we decided easier to give him the extra money which he works off doing yard work or helping my husband at his business. We all get along much better when living apart. He can be messy, come home at whatever time he wants and it doesn't affect us.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:04 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,107,668 times
Quote:
Not legally.
If you haven't paid for it you cannot possess it against the other persons wishes.
My house, MY laws.....don't like it....appeal to the Supreme court....oh yeh, that's ME.....appeal denied.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
My house, MY laws.....don't like it....appeal to the Supreme court....oh yeh, that's ME.....appeal denied.
Just because you're a parent doesn't mean you can break the law.
Like paganmama said you can make a rule you can't use it on the property but you cannot take it away, its a crime.

If its not in your name and you don't pay for it then you cannot legally possess it against the owners will. Yes, it is that black and white and no there are not exceptions if the person if your child.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:07 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,168,702 times
Quote:
and no there are not exceptions if the person if your child.
If it came down to a stituation where my adult child and I were arguing about his/her conduct inside my home and he/she started telling me his/her rights under the law I would be showing him/her the door. That adult child would find himself/herself on the doorstep rubbing the spot in his/her backside where the doorknob hit him/her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting