Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2016, 08:38 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,034,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
You seem intent on arguing. No one is against cell phones for kids. No one in this thread. The OP is asking about smart phones because the kid comes home and does the "but everyone is doin' it!" routine.

Smart phones vs cell phones: My opinion is that because smart phones cost more, a cell phone is the more practical choice. A cell phone helps with a child's security and safety and for convenience for all. A smart phone only adds funsies to that and serves no practical purpose. Doesn't mean anyone is against smart phones. The OP didn't want to get the kid a smart phone...so that was the premise of the original OP.

Whatever happened to the Mom who responds to the kid's "But everyone else is doin' i!" with the standard, "If everyone else jumped off a bridge, does that mean you would, too?"

But if a family has plenty of expendable income and they want to get their kid laptops, a smartphone, or anything else, that's their choice. But the kid saying "But everyone else is doin' it!" isn't a good reason for that.

And...everyone else is not doing it, of course. That's what kids say. The stats, and common sense, show that everyone else is NOT doing it, although it may seem that way. What people really mean when they say that, IMO, is "Everyone who matters is doing it." That's what the kid means, too.

It's not a big deal, though, if a family has the money and the philosophy that the kid should have what they want. Nothing wrong with that. But the OP asked opinions. No one is attacking smart phones. Altho I saw a lot of misunderstanding of cell phones by people with smart phones...like cell phones can't take good quality pics and transmit them, can't text, etc. A smart phone IS a cell phone, with added features. A cell phone may even look like a smart phone (mine looks similar, and is a touch phone). Cell phones have come a long way, and cost less.

I'm frugal and buy based on need. I need a cell phone that has certain capabilities. I don't need a smart phone and wouldn't use the added features. Pics, texting, speedy transmission of pics, phone calls, calculator, alarm...that's all I need. If others need more, like Apple Pay, then get a smartphone.
As we have already said to you, your stats are outdated. Void in this argument.

Smartphones really are not much more expensive then a dumb phone. To me the smartphone she can use in school is a better value. But she goes to school where they are allowed. I don't do for my kids based on what every one else does. I usually am years ahead of what others do.

I pay $81 a month for two smart phones on Verizon service. Not bank breaking in any sense. I probably save t $81 a month pulling up coupons and researching prices prior to making purchases. Actually I know I do. I had an appliance place price match Home Depot the other night... $100 saved.

With any tool, you have to have knowledge on how to use them. I also feel
Kids need to learn technology at a young age. Makes them less apt to be the adult that can't use a computer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2016, 08:49 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,034,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Then they have an obligation to provide an alternate way for children without personal devices to access the same information. This kind of stuff seriously pisses me off, and I have gone to battle with my own school district over the issue.
You can choose to provide the tools your child needs or not. It is not the schools problem if you don't. And as I tell my daughter, she is not to share her technology with the kid that's parent refuses to provide for their child. It is the same as pens, paper and whatever school supplies you provide as the parent. You are responsible for providing, not the school.

Old 12-23-2016, 09:01 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,366,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
You can choose to provide the tools your child needs or not. It is not the schools problem if you don't. And as I tell my daughter, she is not to share her technology with the kid that's parent refuses to provide for their child. It is the same as pens, paper and whatever school supplies you provide as the parent. You are responsible for providing, not the school.
Computers are considered instructional materials rather than consumables, so they fall into the same category as textbooks. While public schools may encourage students to purchase and bring their own, they cannot require it and must provide electronic devices for classroom use to students who do not have them. Video cameras, graphing calculators, etc...same thing.

Last edited by randomparent; 12-23-2016 at 09:11 AM..

Old 12-23-2016, 09:46 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,726,143 times
I only read the first two pages of replies. Yes, 14 year old kids overwhelmingly have smartphones. My kids (now 13 and 15) got them at age 12. And in the high schools, the teachers not only have them go to websites, but they also use the phones to text them websites and information about upcoming tests, projects, etc. Welcome to the future.

Old 12-23-2016, 01:01 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
37 percent of teenagers, ages 13 to 17 have or have access to a smartphone.
Kids Wireless Use Facts

So the stats show that not all kids have smartphones. In fact, the stats show just the opposite, as I said. Statistics don't change depending on whether a person has one or two or ten kids. Stats are states.
Your linked stats are an obvious typo, but I see you only copied the error that supports your argument. Your link claims:

37 percent of teenagers, ages 13 to 17 have or have access to a smartphone, an increase from 37 percent in 2013. 88 percent of teenagers, ages 13 to 17 have or have access to a cellphone.

Old 12-23-2016, 02:14 PM

634 posts, read 708,663 times
As of 2015, 73% of teens have access to smartphones. 68% of 13-14 yrs old and 76% of 15-17 year olds.

73% of Teens Have Access to a Smartphone; 15% Have Only a Basic Phone | Pew Research Center

Old 12-23-2016, 05:34 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Computers are considered instructional materials rather than consumables, so they fall into the same category as textbooks. While public schools may encourage students to purchase and bring their own, they cannot require it and must provide electronic devices for classroom use to students who do not have them. Video cameras, graphing calculators, etc...same thing.
They can't require electronic devices, but they can encourage them to such a degree that those without are at a distinct disadvantage. At my kids' elementary school, there are not enough devices for every child in the classroom, even with many who bring them own. So, they have to share. They have to wait their turn. They work through their lessons slower than the kids who have their own. I imagine it probably would be like three kids sharing a textbook...not impossible, and learning still happens, but not an optimal situation.

As far as phones, I thought my 12-year old was the last middle schooler in America to not have a phone. Nice to see there are a few others out there. She may be getting one for Christmas, though. Husband and I are still discussing whether to get a dumb phone or a smart one. This is a smart, responsible, mature-for-her-age, trustworthy kid. But I hear of so many issues with social media, we're still wary.

Old 12-23-2016, 08:39 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,473,825 times
When the kid grows up and gets a job, she can buy herself a smart phone. Until then, hand her the flip. It's a phone. That's all she needs.

Old 12-23-2016, 09:24 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,589,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Two 14-year-old sisters, one in 8th grade and one in 9th. Middle school and high school. The other day the 9th grader was let out 45 minutes early from some band practice, she was locked out of school, couldn't find anybody with a phone, ended up waiting outside all that time for Daddy to come at designated time.

OK so she needs a phone. I have a flip phone I rarely use, don't like and am willing to give to her for purpose of calling home, etc. But Nooooooooooooooooooooooo. It's not cool to have a flip phone and she would be mortified for anybody to see her using it! Daughter tells her daddy that teachers all the time say "get out your phone and go to xyz ". Could that possibly be true. I'm sure she is not the only one without a phone.

DH says they both need phones and we can get ones without data plan.
Here's my problem---besides I'm old and grumpy. We are on them all the time about too much screen time and here he is talking about giving them one more screen!

So do your 14 year old kids have smart phones? Do teachers really assume all kids have them and use them as part of instruction?

If we got them, the rule would be the same as it is for their nexus and laptops---only used downstairs in family room and never upstairs in the bedrooms.

I really was hoping we could hold off til they are 16 but maybe that's not realistic. I know it is important to fit in but damn...this could get expensive. DH has company phone, I don't want a smart phone and we are not used to this expense.
That should be, "Everyone has a smartphone but I". Grammar skills should be improved, before being rewarded with one of them.

Old 12-23-2016, 11:18 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,861,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
That should be, "Everyone has a smartphone but I". Grammar skills should be improved, before being rewarded with one of them.
In this construction "but" functions like a preposition. Consider "Everyone except me" or "Everyone other than me." Or, if you substitute the third person, it becomes more apparent how awkward using the nominative sounds here: "Everyone but she has a smartphone" versus "Everyone but her has a smartphone."

Not that dictionaries are the be-all end-all of word use, but dictionary.com agrees with me, for what it's worth:
Quote:
preposition
10. with the exception of; except; save:
No one replied but me.
But | Define But at Dictionary.com

I mean, you can make a case that "I" parallels "Everyone" here and thus nominative is also acceptable, but the other way isn't wrong, even from a prescriptive grammar perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting