Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 05:14 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
I am one of the moderators for our neighborhood Facebook group. If a video like that was posted to our group, I would immediately remove it. (And yes something like this has already happened, and the video was removed right away).
It was removed, but not before a few hundred people saw it and commented on it. Our subdivision has dozens of different FB pages, none of them are actually "official" FB pages of the community, so I don't think anyone actually HAD to remove it, but they did anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 05:32 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Public shaming?? What fVck the? What is wrong with people?
Pretty much this.

There is a vast difference between stopping a child from doing something that could harm himself or others, is disruptive or has the potential to damage property, gossiping about other people's children (particularly when the truth is not even known) and publicly shaming them. The first is something I'd generally expect of adults. The second and third, not so much.

Public shaming is rarely appropriate.

Old 12-30-2016, 02:57 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,138,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I lived in a town of 1005 residents. A family from Los Angeles moved in and opened a restaurant in a previously empty building. The grandmother and parents ran the restaurant and the one son attended the little middle school. Well this boy apparently didn't adjust well to living in a small rural town, and he caused problems at school and in town (I can't remember the details). Anyway, word got out that he was a bully, and residents just stopped patronizing the restaurant. Within a few months the restaurant was closed and the family moved. Another family moved in and reopened the restaurant and they became leaders in the community.
Beautiful! Love it!

CITY FOLK (Curly from City Slickers)

Old 12-30-2016, 03:20 PM

1,177 posts, read 1,131,818 times
Not a parent, but I would tell if the child was 10 or older and did a misdeed on purpose. I think too many children think because they are under 18 they can be little goons and do bad things on purpose. If you cross me on purpose, I am going to let it be known. Those women may have been gossips, but they were right. Children need to learn you can't just act however you want. I can't go around acting like a fool without getting a reputation.

Old 12-30-2016, 03:33 PM

1,177 posts, read 1,131,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
We had a similar situation happen here. Someone saw two cars of kids leaving the high school acting like complete a-holes. Hanging out the window of the cars, speeding, screaming obscenities for everyone to hear, flipping the bird, etc. Someone in a car behind them recorded it all and posted it on our neighborhood Facebook page.

The parents were upset and asked that it be taken down, which it eventually was. But the kicker was that everyone already knew this about these kids. They had been little a-holes for years, and the parents never did anything about it (I might add that these kids were driving luxury vehicles that their parents bought for them). I hope the hundred or so replies made before it was removed shamed the parents into actually parenting instead of doing their usual, "Kids will be kids," thing and then buying them whatever expensive thing they wanted. Lots of comments from people who were these kids neighbors and classmates - people they knew - saying that they have always been jerks.

This is a little different in that it was showing something that actually happened and wasn't just what someone said happened, but I completely applauded the person who posted it.
I do, too. I'm surprised the parents or the kids didn't claim bullying and try to sue. I'll bet the next time they act bad, the parents will claim it stems from being embarrassed/bully. I'm sure the parents are just as bad. With the money, they probably think they're above people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting