U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 10:47 PM

88,545 posts, read 104,871,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
Any of the common ones now: Hayden, Aiden, anything ending with the -en at the end. Waaaay overdone, people. Pick something else to call your kids, okay?

Names that would get them teased: Gertrude, Priscilla, Henrietta, Dick, etc.

I like creative names, nothing so offbeat that it will get them teased but not anything so common that there are 6 other kids in their class with the same name. My real first name is very common; in primary school there were 7 other girls in the same class who had the name, LOL. The poor teacher used derivatives of it for 3 of them then the rest of us used our last names. What else could she do?

The name I have totally dates me, it was in the top 3 from 1969-1977. The bad news is that I'm starting to see parents naming their girls with it again

Devonna, Marina, Luna, and Shawna are all names I like for girls.

Raul, Joseph, Marco, and Ira are names I like for boys.
Back in 2009 my DD worked in a day care and I worked in a pediatric office. We made a list of such names: Aiden, Braden, Caden, Grayden, Hayden, Jaden, Kaden, and Zaiden. Then there are Layton and Payton. There are numerous variations on the spelling of these names, e.g. Aiden, Ayden, Aidin, Aidyn and so on ad infinitum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 11:04 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 3,287,176 times
I would never name my child Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. What if you shout, "What have you done, Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious? Come here immediately!" It wouldn't work, because, by the time you get to "come here" they would already be out of earshot.

Old 12-31-2016, 11:28 PM

7,455 posts, read 4,602,693 times
Dorcus, Brunhilda, to name a couple. Maynard, for the boys.

Old 12-31-2016, 11:29 PM

7,455 posts, read 4,602,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeonthelittlemountain View Post
True story. I once knew a family whose last name was "Head." They had several children. They named one son Richard and another son John. Think about it.
At least they didn't name one of them "Give".

Old 12-31-2016, 11:52 PM

4,075 posts, read 1,858,657 times
Fun English names (for non English natives) I've known but would never use:
Stoney
Jelly
Dung (poor girl)
Moe (girl)
Iphone
Hymon (girl)
Fece
and lastly
Ivanka

Old 01-01-2017, 07:07 AM

2,862 posts, read 1,298,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfab1 View Post
I wouldn't give a boy a name that is considered a girl name (even if it was historically a male name.)
Stacey
Tracy
Shannon
Ashley
Carroll
etc.
In the early 70s I knew a boy named Allison. Went by "Chip" but it caused confusion when the teacher took attendance on the first day.

There are a lot of girls' names that started out as boys'. Such as Beverly, Carol, Lynn, Vivian, Ashley, Hilary, Kim, Lauren, Leigh.

A lot are still ambiguous, like the aforementioned McKinley, MacKenzie, Madison, etc.

Old 01-01-2017, 08:39 AM

88,545 posts, read 104,871,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
In the early 70s I knew a boy named Allison. Went by "Chip" but it caused confusion when the teacher took attendance on the first day.

There are a lot of girls' names that started out as boys'. Such as Beverly, Carol, Lynn, Vivian, Ashley, Hilary, Kim, Lauren, Leigh.

A lot are still ambiguous, like the aforementioned McKinley, MacKenzie, Madison, etc.
"Carol" in a male is usually spelled "Carrol". Same with Frances/Francis. Having worked in a pediatric office, I can tell you, very few boys are named McKinley, MacKenzie, or Madison. In fact, I'd hazard that the number is close to zero. Once a name becomes feminized, parents quit using it for boys.

Old 01-01-2017, 12:58 PM

11,748 posts, read 5,483,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
A few years ago, a local pizza place had a pic of the little league team it sponsored. Aaden, Jayden and Brayden .... I laughed every time I saw it.

We have a Brayden, Caidan, Sheridan and a Jayden in our circle of friends. So over those names now.

There are a lot of names I would never name my kid:

- Hildegard
- Ethel
- Edna
- Edith
- Clarence
- Wilbur
- Gertrude
- Horace
- Agatha
- Gladys
- Harry
- Harriet
- Mona
- Bertha
- Bella (I always think of a girl's nickname in school: Bella Butt)
- Linda
- Percival
- Arthur
- Martha
- Leslie (for a boy)
- Any of the names that looks like the parents threw a bunch of letters in the air and picked them randomly for their kid's name. I also don't care for the trend of naming kids after cities: Dallas, Austin, Brooklyn, etc.

My name is so very 1950ish. The only people with the same first name are usually in their 50's or 60's with the exception of one or two celebrities.

Names I love:

Joseph
Michael
Gabriel
David
Dalton
Daniel
Isaiah
Sarah
Esther
Michaela
Gabriella
Grace
Amelia

Old 01-01-2017, 01:27 PM

16,469 posts, read 18,496,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danbo1957 View Post
A name that anybody can't easily spell (ex. Saoirse); a name that would embarrass the child with other children making fun of it (ex. Precious, Sebastian); an obvious surname (Miller, Anderson); a name that denotes a specific religion (ex. Mohammed); a name of an object (ex. Apple); an obviously silly-sounding name when combined with the surname (ex. Benedict Cumberbatch); a made up name (ex. LeQuinzy); a name of a controversial or very famous celebrity (ex. Michael Jackson); naming a boy an obviously girl's name (ex. Sue); a name of a city (ex. Brooklyn); an ugly sounding name (ex. Ursula, Abner); an old sounding name (ex. Ethel, Barney); trendy or too popular name at any given time (ex. Emma, Tristan).
Saoirse is a traditional Irish name. It is pronounced Sheer see. It is uncommon in the US, but it is not uncommon in Ireland and people know how to pronounce it and spell it there. If you are in the US of Irish heritage, then there is no reason not to use it as a name for your child.

Old 01-01-2017, 01:35 PM

9,246 posts, read 23,755,675 times
I work in a preschool, and over the years have come across some really good ones:

Alice / Titus
Goldie / Sam
June / Max
Valkyrie/ Vati
Rulie / Brogen
Pennie / Giovanni
Iris / Robert/Robbie
Violet / Grant
Elin / Ben
Audrey / Jobe
Grace/Gracelynn / Jameson
Adeline / Rylan, but it's gotten trendy
Olivia/Olyvia / Lucius, not sure I spelled it right! My neighbor named her baby that.
Jessamine / Olsen
Boudica / Wyatt, a good one but getting popular.
Baevin /

Those are just some of the most unique or not so common names I've come across. I've seen lots of Kinley's, Kennedi's, Averie/Avery's, Maya's, Makenzie's, Aiden's, Nolen/Nolan's, Hayden, Grayson, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting