U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2019, 02:51 PM

7,446 posts, read 4,632,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I had two uncles with girly names. Uncle Joy and Uncle Vivian. Weird.
I'm aware of Vivian as a formerly unisex name, but Joy on a man is really strange!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2019, 04:44 PM

2,118 posts, read 797,768 times
A friend's husband was named LaVern (first name), spelled exactly that way with the V capitalized and no E on the end.

Of course when other people wrote it down they spelled it exactly like one would expect, as in "Laverne and Shirley."

If I'm not mistaken, her husband was born in the early 1930s and he was not of any ethnic background in which that first name might be common. The odd thing, to me, was that I'd have expected people to just call him "Vern" for short but nobody did.

Old 12-21-2019, 05:23 PM

9,072 posts, read 19,989,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
Stone....I love the name but with my last name it's too silly. Think something like Stone Wall, Stone Path, Stone Staircase, etc.
I know this post is old but I know someone who just had a baby girl and named her Stonewall.. they call her Stone for short.

Old 12-21-2019, 05:41 PM

4,629 posts, read 3,950,295 times
First Names you would never call your baby?

I would never name a son Horace or Horatio.

I have daughters and they are all very pleased with their first names as are my sons.

I guess I just got lucky.

Old 12-21-2019, 06:26 PM

8,537 posts, read 7,681,786 times
Buckwheat or Farina.

Old 12-21-2019, 08:01 PM

4,378 posts, read 1,059,555 times
I’m gay, but I would absolutely hate to be named Gaylord! Why would a parent be so cruel to name their kid that?

Old 12-22-2019, 04:03 AM

1,334 posts, read 230,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterRice View Post
Anything that is chosen solely for the purpose of standing out among other children.
Yes, that just makes it awkward in school for children.

I remember in my HS class we had something like 3 Jeffs, 4 Johns, 2 Dans, 4 Sarahs, etc, etc... Just your standard names. If you had a really unique name you had trouble avoiding extra attention.

IE: Who's gonna stick out the most in this class?

Jeff
Jeff
Jeff
John
John
John
John
Alice
Dan
Dan
Sarah
Sarah
Sarah
Sarah

__________________________________________________ ____

A couple other names that should be avoided are Oliver & Olive.

If you need a reason why, here they are.

Oliver

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tOkpntQtBM

Olive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV34G61YS8E

Old 12-22-2019, 09:22 AM

59,601 posts, read 57,119,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I agree with never naming your kid Adolph. There's a lot of awful names that were popular 100 years that hopefully won't become common again like Bertha, Melvin, Beulah, Cornelius, etc.
I went to school with a boy named Cornelius, and his sister was Cornelia. They were born in the Netherlands. He was Neil and she was Cory.

I had a great-aunt Bertha, born in the 1880s. I don't see that one coming back anytime soon. But you never know. I would never in a million years have dreamed that someone would name their baby Hazel again.

Old 12-22-2019, 12:00 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,849,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
Parents should really give more thought to the combination of first AND last name. I had a friend in high school whose last name was Beach and her parents chose to name her Sandra. The poor girl was doomed to be called "Sandy Beach" throughout her entire school career, even though she told every teacher she ever had that her first name was supposed to be pronounced "SOHN-dra".

Sometimes parents just. don't. think. when it comes to naming.
Like the girl I knew whose last name was Peters. Her parents named her Candace, but of course that got shortened to Candy.

Old 12-22-2019, 12:11 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,849,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
On the other hand, my mom was extremely superstitious and felt that it was bad luck to name a baby after anyone in the family who had died. She went to such lengths to avoid it that when my dad wanted my middle name to honor his little sister who had died at age five, my mom refused to allow it unless the name was changed slightly so that it was very similar but not exact. And she insisted that I never be told that I was even remotely "named after a dead person." I found out by accident after both my parents were dead but there was a cousin that knew the circumstances and she told me about the modification/secret.
This is interesting. In Jewish families, it's traditional to name a baby only after a deceased relative, never a living relative. That's why you'll almost never find a Jewish "Junior."

I'm told the reason is that when the Angel of Death comes for the old person, you don't want to confuse the Angel and have it take instead the baby with the same name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting