Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2017, 12:44 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
They were going down in the 1970s, to be sure. But I was born in the late 1960s, and I knew plenty of all of them. Susan was #5 in 1965, Cynthia #9, Deborah #13, and Barbara #25--this is the one that had already declined the most from its peak.

Grace has had ups and downs, all names do, but I think it still deserves to be called timeless. Sure, it was down at #216 in 1955 and #256 in 1965, but that's still respectable. It's not like Matilda, which completely disappeared from the Top 1000 between 1964 and 2008.
I agree. And there will always be "Mary".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 12:57 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
Alfred and Maynard I do like the name Andrew-

Old 01-21-2017, 01:39 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,365,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Actually, Grace has had its ups and downs as a popular name.
Grace Name Meaning & Origin | Baby Name Wizard

I know no one of my age group (early Boomer) named Grace. I do remember the actress Grace Kelly, and Gracie Allen, wife of George Burns. The "Graces" I know/know of are all children.
Isn't that the case for all names? Of course there will be periods of popularity and periods of near-obscurity for many names. Region, among other factors, play a big role in naming trends as well. There are two Graces, one in her late 40s and the other would be late 50s, in my family. Both are Black women raised in the South. The few other Graces I know of were named after relatives.

It seems like my mother's generation wasn't into given their children old fashioned names, as evidenced by the top names of the mid-late 70s and early 80s. Lots of Jessicas, Jennifers, Melissas, etc. Gen X has contributed to the boom of these old fashioned names.

Old 01-21-2017, 04:15 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
It seems like my mother's generation wasn't into given their children old fashioned names, as evidenced by the top names of the mid-late 70s and early 80s. Lots of Jessicas, Jennifers, Melissas, etc. Gen X has contributed to the boom of these old fashioned names.

But Jessica, Jennifer, and Melissa WERE all thought of as "old-fashioned" names by the parents who used them in the late 1970s-80s. Not that they had ever been very popular in the US, but they were old, traditional names with history that had not been much used for a long time. I was around and aware of naming trends then, and I absolutely recall that people considered them "old-fashioned." I remember overhearing someone, a woman much older than I, say that she didn't want to use one of those trendy names, like Tammy or Jodi. She wanted something old-fashioned and classic, or words to that effect. She loved Jennifer, but she had read somewhere that it was #1 that year. So she chose Jessica.

Every generation uses names that the previous generation thought were "old-fashioned." I remember my mother, who was born in 1926, saying that HER mother thought Deborah was a hideously old-fashioned and dated name, kind of like we would think of "Ethel" now. But my mom's generation loved Deborah.

Old 01-21-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Isn't that the case for all names? Of course there will be periods of popularity and periods of near-obscurity for many names. Region, among other factors, play a big role in naming trends as well. There are two Graces, one in her late 40s and the other would be late 50s, in my family. Both are Black women raised in the South. The few other Graces I know of were named after relatives.

Katherine has had its ups and downs, but no huge dips.
Katherine Name Meaning & Origin | Baby Name Wizard
Elizabeth has had a different trajectory: Elizabeth Name Meaning & Origin | Baby Name Wizard

Old 01-22-2017, 05:04 AM

808 posts, read 710,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
These names were popular in the forties and fifties, not so much so in the sixties and seventies. LOTS of Debbies, Barbaras, and Susans, in my age bracket, and I suppose some of those Cindys were really Cynthias. "Linda" was another hit name of that period, as was "Sherry" and its related names.

"Susan" is making a modest come-back, but I don't see the others returning quite yet.

My g-g-g-grandmother was named "Barbara", btw - she was born in the early 1700s, in Northern Ireland, and was Ulster Scots.
I don't know where you are, but in the United States at least, Susan actually is still dropping slowly in popularity. It was used as the name of just 290 girls born in 2015, down from 321 in 2014, 314 in 2013, 321 in 2012, and 353 in 2011. This is a significant drop from even ten years ago (2005), when it was given to 475 baby girls; Susan peaked in 1955 with 47,388 Susans being born that year alone. That's more than two percent of all girls born that year, and it made Susan the fifth most popular female name of that year.

This means that the usage of Susan today is 0.61% of its peak.

Last edited by Cheesehead92; 01-22-2017 at 05:06 AM.. Reason: add

Old 01-23-2017, 10:41 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,244,561 times
Quote:
I agree. And there will always be "Mary".
Or Maria, that's timeless and cross-cultural, that's what I named my daughter so she can fit in anywhere and any time

Old 01-23-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Or Maria, that's timeless and cross-cultural, that's what I named my daughter so she can fit in anywhere and any time
Seems to be dropping a little lately here in the US, but still quite popular. Popular as a middle name here, also Marie. Marie was the middle name of both of my kids' grandmothers, one daughter has it for her middle name. http://www.babynamewizard.com/baby-name/girl/maria Marie is not very common here for a first name, but if you read the comments, you'll see it's very popular for a middle. http://www.babynamewizard.com/baby-name/girl/marie

Old 01-24-2017, 12:50 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Katherine has had its ups and downs, but no huge dips.
Katherine Name Meaning & Origin | Baby Name Wizard
Elizabeth has had a different trajectory: Elizabeth Name Meaning & Origin | Baby Name Wizard
So it seems. I wonder why? I happen to like the name Elizabeth, as much s Katherine.

Old 01-24-2017, 01:06 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,185,983 times
I do not like stripper names
I would like daughters to have names of some elegance

Ethnic names that aren't popular in the states, mostly because I wouldn't want my child constantly explaining where her "weird" name comes form. (my relative's name is Ailish; very Irish but the torment she endured, oy vey...

Even if I like a common name, I won't give my children those names

During my hippie years I really wanted a boy and a girl - Indigo and Sage... glad I outgrew that LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting