Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2017, 03:49 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,878,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Why? Those names are just as ubiquitous! And all those Michaels! #1 from 1954-1959, then again from 1961-1998! Jason, OTOH, was never #1, was #2 1974-78, #3 1973 and 1979-80, and #4 in 1981-82.
https://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/top5names.html
Yeah, it's NOT about the name itself, I used to LOVE Olivia and Isabella. I was born in in 1963 and I concur on Jason and Jennifer as well. My kids born in 1982 and 1983 had TONS of playmates with those names also Joshua.

Unoriginal trend following is what ruined the names' appeal for me not the names themselves.
And the connotation attached thereto.

Last edited by VexedAndSolitary; 07-17-2017 at 03:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 10:56 AM

3,068 posts, read 1,680,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
So many of you seem to be forgetting the hundreds of thousands of Jennifers and Jasons for at least a decade. I'll take Olivia, Sophie, and Isabelle over that any day.
I have a sister-in-law named Jennifer, and she and her husband named all three of their daughters Jennifer along with middle names that sound similar because they start with the same letter. They all go by their middle names. To me it reeks of narcissism to name all your kids after you, but maybe they just decided to make naming a game, I don't know.

Jason is one of my favorite guy names, though.

Old 07-17-2017, 11:20 AM

1,065 posts, read 597,235 times
Naming someone after a Native American Tribe - Cheyenne as an example, makes the parents (if they're Anglo) look ignorant.

Naming someone Lucifer, Hitler, Damian, tells us the parents are probably dangerous.

Those are the worst offenses even when compared to names ending with Isha and any variant of Hayden, Aiden, whatever.

Old 07-17-2017, 01:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,711,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
I have a sister-in-law named Jennifer, and she and her husband named all three of their daughters Jennifer along with middle names that sound similar because they start with the same letter. They all go by their middle names. To me it reeks of narcissism to name all your kids after you, but maybe they just decided to make naming a game, I don't know.

Jason is one of my favorite guy names, though.
My brother has a Jennifer and a Jason, born at the height of it for both of them. I agree about naming kids after yourself. I was just thinking about that re: Donald Trump, JR.

Old 07-17-2017, 04:57 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,012,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckystrike1 View Post
I don't know, men have been naming their children after them for thousands of years. I've had friends who have said the same thing as you, but I just don't get why it's always pointed out as narcassistic when women do it.

I always feel more like its boring and unoriginal. Like really, you couldn't come up with any other name?! I get when its traditional, but I have a friend who's sisters all named their first born son after the father despite having no other "jr" in the family. It just felt like they were all copying the first sister.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:08 PM

50,345 posts, read 63,928,555 times
The last two names of the kids I tutored... Xzavion and Tonique. I have a wicked hard time remembering names when I have nothing to associate them with in my brain.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:27 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,436,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletwin View Post
Naming someone after a Native American Tribe - Cheyenne as an example, makes the parents (if they're Anglo) look ignorant.

Naming someone Lucifer, Hitler, Damian, tells us the parents are probably dangerous.

Those are the worst offenses even when compared to names ending with Isha and any variant of Hayden, Aiden, whatever.
Damien/Damian was a perfectly fine name long in existence before the Omen movies. There's nothing wrong with it.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:54 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Actually, the poster did not say all of those names were trendy-just that she did not like them. And there ARE way too many girls named Madison, Isabelle/Isabella/Bella, Abby, Sophie/Sophia, Olivia, and Chloe. I have two teenage daughters and those six names account for about 50% of their friends and acquaintances (I would add Hannah and Emily to the list).

No matter how classic, traditional, beautiful etc. a name may be, when you hear it over and over and over it really loses its luster.
My daughter is 25. Her class had all the Ashleys, Jessicas, and Caitlins.

But she was the only one in the school system with her name.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:55 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Damien/Damian was a perfectly fine name long in existence before the Omen movies. There's nothing wrong with it.
Yes, I know a guy in his 60s named Damien. He was born long before the movie about the kid with the 666 on his head.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:02 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,536,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
The last two names of the kids I tutored... Xzavion and Tonique. I have a wicked hard time remembering names when I have nothing to associate them with in my brain.
I have a hard time remember names when they don't spell them properly

when they want to take a common name and make it "unique", it doesn't work. Even the parents end up calling them by a nickname
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting