Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2017, 10:12 AM

581 posts, read 456,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
Any non-traditional name from Game of Thrones or any other pop culture phenomena.
I'm happy we're not seeing girls named Khaleesi, although I think Arya is passable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 10:51 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,893,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklesNShine View Post
I'm happy we're not seeing girls named Khaleesi, although I think Arya is passable.
I met a young Aria at a recent event, but think her name is spelled with an I rather than a y.

Old 08-15-2017, 04:43 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,306,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklesNShine View Post
Funny you say that because I saw some MSN article talking about people naming their daughter Khaleesi. While I think it sounds pretty I personally would never name my kid after anyone from Game of Thrones.

Years ago when Dr. Quinn - Medicine Woman was on TV, a lot of people were suddenly naming their kids Michaela with all kinds of weird spellings. That's one of the few names I really like from a TV show.

My grandmother had an aide that helped her out once a week back in the late 70's. Her name was Isis, but she pronounced it Eeesis.

I love some of the Irish names especially Declan and Lachlan. The first time I saw Declan I thought why would someone name their child "De Clan".

Old 08-16-2017, 03:46 PM

153 posts, read 130,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
A lot of otherwise decent names I just wouldn't use. I'm a fan of classic names, more towards the underused side. Things that maybe have their ups and downs in popularity but have stuck around forever.

Nothing in the top 20
Nothing with an odd spelling
Nothing that is a nickname (I am fine with nicknames, but I prefer to give a full name)
Nothing that really wasn't a commonly used name until recently (think Madison, Caden, etc)
Boys names for girls
Nevaeh
I've heard the "Nevaeh" is somewhat popular, but have never met anyone with the name. I have, however, been trying to figure out how this would be pronounced. Would it be something like Neh-vah or Neh-vay?

Old 08-16-2017, 04:36 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscokay View Post
I've heard the "Nevaeh" is somewhat popular, but have never met anyone with the name. I have, however, been trying to figure out how this would be pronounced. Would it be something like Neh-vah or Neh-vay?
Usually three syllables, neh-VAY-uh.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:08 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
Who today or any day would call their baby, Gertrude and she would get Gertie in her life.

Actually my mother WAS Anna Gertrude, and Gert was never mentioned...but she could have been called Anna Gertie, kinda cute. Her sister was Bertha and was called Bertie all her life.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:17 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,741,834 times
I hate names that are spelled funny or in a different way so that teachers, employers etc have to ask most of the persons life how it is spelled.. it must be annoying..

Old 08-17-2017, 09:26 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,666,897 times
I was working in an inner-city area once and I had a partner from the city who was there to help bridge cultural gap. One day we were interviewing a woman and her name was Cookie. This matched my property records.

We got back to my car and my partner laughs, "Her name ain't really Cookie, is it?"
"Actually, that's what I've got in my records, so I think so, yeah."
"Oh mah God, Cookie?! No way!"
"Tequila, your name is Tequila. You do not get to make fun of Cookie."

We both had a good laugh about it.

I would never name a child Tequila or Cookie, or after any consumable, for that matter.

Old 08-17-2017, 02:21 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
Would you name your child Apple, I'd name them Cookie before Apple.

How about North? Some people are so weird.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:57 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,584,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
I hate names that are spelled funny or in a different way so that teachers, employers etc have to ask most of the persons life how it is spelled.. it must be annoying..
You get used to it. Even though I always spell it out, about half the time people write it down as Eric. Even when responding to me on this forum, people spell it Eric, and you can plainly see how it's spelled!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting