Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 05:38 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,053,058 times

Advertisements

Bailey, Riley, or Luke . those names are forever associated with dogs and cats I knew by those names.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 07:13 AM

108 posts, read 100,258 times
Anything that the average person cannot pronounce. School, Jobs, almost every Phone Call... too many weird pronunciations and always having to correct. Now I just go with it...Sherry Shannon Shelly Shawna [none of which it is]. At least my last name is common and simple.

Old 01-02-2017, 07:34 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
We have a Brayden, Caidan, Sheridan and a Jayden in our circle of friends. So over those names now.

There are a lot of names I would never name my kid:

- Hildegard
- Ethel
- Edna
- Edith
- Clarence
- Wilbur
- Gertrude
- Horace
- Agatha
- Gladys
- Harry
- Harriet
- Mona
- Bertha
- Bella (I always think of a girl's nickname in school: Bella Butt)
- Linda
- Percival
- Arthur
- Martha
- Leslie (for a boy)
- Any of the names that looks like the parents threw a bunch of letters in the air and picked them randomly for their kid's name. I also don't care for the trend of naming kids after cities: Dallas, Austin, Brooklyn, etc.

My name is so very 1950ish. The only people with the same first name are usually in their 50's or 60's with the exception of one or two celebrities.

Names I love:

Joseph
Michael
Gabriel
David
Dalton
Daniel
Isaiah
Sarah
Esther
Michaela
Gabriella
Grace
Amelia
My name and that of one of my friends is on your "hate" list, and your "love" list contains several I don't like. Different strokes. I really don't like giving girls feminized versions of male names, e.g. Michaela and Gabriella, though I've softened a bit on the latter. Michaela sounds like you wanted a boy and were very disappointed to get a girl. Amelia is way too common these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
David, since it's too common.

But most definitely not Muhammad or Ali.
It's not so common any more. And it is a nice name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Bailey, Riley, or Luke . those names are forever associated with dogs and cats I knew by those names.
LOL! My cousin had a male dog named Riley. We had a lot of little Rileys in the peds office where I worked, and I always expected them to be boys because of that, but they were usually girls.

Old 01-02-2017, 07:41 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
It seems that a few people on here don't realize that Aidan is a real name, a very old name, not one that was made up. There's a St. Aidan in Christian tradition, an Irish monk who lived in Northumbria in the 7th century CE. There was a resurgence in popularity a few years ago, probably riding on the "Celtic names are cool" wave.

The rhyme names like Jayden, Braden, etc., followed after the Aidan trend.

Not all old saint names work out well. Cuthbert was another monk who lived and worked around the same time and place as Aidan, but I don't foresee that name gaining popularity anytime soon. Of course, if you want your kid to be the only one in the school with his name, it's an idea.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:51 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
I'm not particularly into trendeigh and ukneeque names. My kids have classic/old fashioned names. It was important the names we chose pass the Supreme Court Justice test.

Old 01-02-2017, 08:55 AM

25,574 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dreams Expert View Post
Is there any names you wouldnt in a million years call your baby either boy or girl?
Barrack.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:58 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,653,765 times
Jeeves. Like Jerry Seinfeld said, if you name your kid "Jeeves" you've pretty much mapped out his future as a butler.

Now "Seven": That's "a beautiful name for a boy or a girl. Especially a girl...or a boy"

Last edited by RP2C; 01-02-2017 at 10:00 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 01-02-2017, 10:01 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,074,443 times
I think I will avoid Schartzmugel, Mckenzie, Boomquifa, Peggy, Virgen, Anous and Hitler.

Old 01-02-2017, 10:26 AM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Sluggo.

Old 01-02-2017, 10:32 AM

14,310 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
My name and that of one of my friends is on your "hate" list, and your "love" list contains several I don't like.
I put my money on "Katarina" being really Linda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting