Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 08:55 PM

560 posts, read 540,000 times

Advertisements

oldest son is in Kindy, and only do reading every night-30 mins; practice his sight words and reading to me. Weekly, he gets a reading bag with 3 books that is due back in after 5 days; one book would be read to me type of book, 2nd book would be reading together out aloud, and 3rd book is being read to by mom or dad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2017, 09:37 AM

170 posts, read 193,154 times
Age 5, kindergarten -
For written homework, I read the instructions most times and that's it which takes me a minute at most - then he does his HW in about 5-10 min. His teacher only gives written homework Mon-Thurs and doesnt place much importance on it which I agree with and appreciate at this young of an age

Aside from that I read to him every night for 15-30 minutes (but we've been doing this as part of bedtime even before he started school) and we go over any sight words we see or allow him to read words which I know he is capable of reading.

Last edited by joker1979; 01-05-2017 at 09:50 AM..

Old 01-05-2017, 10:00 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,117,629 times
I guess it depends on what you call "helping". When the kids were younger, K-4th or so, I had a snack ready for them when they got home and had expectations that they did their homework right away. I was available to answer questions, read words for spelling tests, etc. but usually they didn't need help. I would say most days I spent less than 5 minutes helping, and that was mostly just checking to see that they finished. As they got older, I probably spent 5 minutes a week, maybe.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:18 PM

245 posts, read 197,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I would talk to the teacher about that. That's ridiculous.

I think he just takes longer than the other kids because he has a learning disability.

Old 01-06-2017, 07:31 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky91 View Post
I think he just takes longer than the other kids because he has a learning disability.
If he has an IEP or 504, you should be able to get less homework written into it. Even if it isn't officially in his plan, many teachers are willing to say "work on it for 30 minutes then stop." They don't want to frustrate the kids to the point of hating school just to be able to say they did all their homework.

Old 01-07-2017, 06:29 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,117,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMSweeney View Post
There are quite a few studies and articles lately that suggest that homework in elementary school is counterproductive. I agree.
Children need unstructured free play more than anything.
I don't know about that, lots of homework is counterproductive, but our kids got a page of homework each night in kindergarten, got them in the habit of "doing homework" at a young age and helped instill good study habits. It took maybe 5 minutes, it wasn't so much about the work itself, but the habits formed. After that, they had the rest of the afternoon/evening for "unstructured play"...not to mention the unstructured play during recess, the walk home from school, the walk to school, all weekend long.....

Old 01-07-2017, 09:20 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMSweeney View Post
.........Children need unstructured free play more than anything.
If your child actually does unstructured free play. I suspect that most kids plop down in front of the TV or else play video games. I'm thinking those activities are not more valuable than instilling good study habits.

Old 01-07-2017, 09:24 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Veering slightly off topic, my child and I spent time with flash cards and he can do math, unlike many of the younger generation that can't do any math, but know how to run a calculator, and long as they don't make mistakes punching in the numbers because they don't recognize even an outrageous error.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:22 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
If he has an IEP or 504, you should be able to get less homework written into it. Even if it isn't officially in his plan, many teachers are willing to say "work on it for 30 minutes then stop." They don't want to frustrate the kids to the point of hating school just to be able to say they did all their homework.
Unfortunately, the work for 30 minutes does not always work with autistic children who may think they have to finish no matter how long it takes. It would be better to simply reduce the amount so that the child can finish.

Old 01-07-2017, 02:57 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Unfortunately, the work for 30 minutes does not always work with autistic children who may think they have to finish no matter how long it takes. It would be better to simply reduce the amount so that the child can finish.
Details. My point is, the kid shouldn't be spending 90 minutes on homework. The other poster said "learning disability" not autism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting