Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 07:40 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times

Advertisements

I'm not seeing a problem with a mother who looks fantastic for her age. OP makes it sound like looking old and saggy is preferable to looking young and energetic. I'm certainly not seeing a problem with a mother who has a close relationship with her daughters and, shockingly, looks like them, since they carry half her DNA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 08:50 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I don't think the blurring of healthy boundaries is good for us. It would take a whole essay to explain what that means to me.

About the best I can say is each to his own and it could be worse.
Very diplomatically put! I'll second that!

I bet if the daughters' male friends came on to mom she'd be jumping all over that!

Old 01-08-2017, 08:55 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
My late husband tried his best to be our boys' best friend at the expense of them having a strong father figure. Even my kids, who are now 29 & 31 realize it especially the younger one who has issues for years, mainly due to my husband being an enabler.

Parents need to be parents, not "friends". That doesn't mean your kids shouldn't come to you with problems but there should be line drawn between the two.

Old 01-09-2017, 12:17 AM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Oh no never, no one wants to let themselves go and get old looking but you can age with class and make your children proud of you.. there is a different between trashy and classy. This mother is desperately trying to hold on to youth and not in a good way.. maybe the Kardishian effect.
I think the point I was trying to make is you can look however you want. If a person wants to go trashy, it's really no one's business but theirs. I have to disagree with you, though. I think a person who looks young is not necessarily trying to hold on to youth, desperately or not. Maybe it's just who they are. What rule is there that says you have to start acting more 'mature' as you age and who gets to decide what acting mature really is?

I see it that way because so many people think I ought to be this old white-haired lady who sits around and crochets all day JUST because of my age. Not even. I still do some wild and crazy things. In several years I hope to take off and live in my car while criss-crossing the US for a couple of years before I decided where I want to live for the rest of my life. If I can afford it after that, I plan to buy some property and maybe live off the land while I can. Who says I have to stay home all the time and knit just because I'm more than half a century old?

Old 01-09-2017, 01:40 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
hahaha like your post... and see what your saying.. I went to yoga and other fitness classes with my daughter five years ago, Im not saying not to act or dress a bit younger, Im talking about out clubbing with daughters, it just doesnt ring right to me at all...and like you I dont have white or grey hair, dont have old fashioned clothes.. and Ill be seventy in April..I dont walk or talk like a woman my age, I hate bread and butter talk, if you know what I mean...I dont discuss the prices of food with other women or bills or the pills Im taking hahaha Im in a history group,, out and about a lot doing photography.. country walks.. a little politics, old movies, my wee dog and minding grandkids, so I have quite a busy life...in face IM off out today to get photos in the rain of old standing stones, crazy I know... Ill need my wellies to go over the field.... Also love geneology and have traveled miles to get photos of graves, small towns etc for people abroad who had enquired about graveyards and places here in Scotland. so yep Im a busy woman who has a full life....

Old 01-09-2017, 06:59 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Dizzybint - you seem like a fascinating woman. Wished you lived nearby so we could have some adventures together. (I'm a woman, not trying to hit on you) :-)

Old 01-09-2017, 10:25 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
My late husband tried his best to be our boys' best friend at the expense of them having a strong father figure. Even my kids, who are now 29 & 31 realize it especially the younger one who has issues for years, mainly due to my husband being an enabler.

Parents need to be parents, not "friends". That doesn't mean your kids shouldn't come to you with problems but there should be line drawn between the two.
The kids in the story are adults now. That's a little different. Have you seen this thread? Parents looking forward to going out drinking with their kids: //www.city-data.com/forum/paren...-am-i-off.html

I enjoy my kids' companionship, and like to do "adult" things with them, but that doesn't include clubbing. I don't think they do that either.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 01-09-2017 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: fix misspelling

Old 01-09-2017, 01:11 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
I don't see why it's wrong for a mother to go out dancing with her (adult) daughters while men taking their (adult)sons to watch football at Hooters rarely experience a backlash. I have no daughters, and my husband hates dancing, but I've gone to clubs with friends a few times on girlfriend getaway trips. We had a good time, and there really isn't much else to do at night on some island destinations.

I have no issue with the activity, I'm just not a fan of the low-cut/high-cut mode of dress, for both mother and daughters.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:14 PM

7,024 posts, read 4,887,277 times
Shoot, how many men go out drinking at bars with their adult sons?

Old 01-12-2017, 12:53 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Shoot, how many men go out drinking at bars with their adult sons?
who goes to Hooters..hahaha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting