Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2017, 06:46 AM

13,644 posts, read 12,293,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
Reason? It was a constant source of confusion when I was a high school student. People thought that Stanford was an Ivy-league school. Nope, sure not.

No, I didn't attend a Ivy league school or prestigious non-Ivy league school.

It is just something that irks me.
Ivy League is an athletic conference, nothing more, nothing less. Its no different than the MAC (Mid America Conference,) the Big 10, The SEC, etc...

Stanford doesn't compete in the Ivy League athletic conference, but it is equally prestigious. Rather, they are in some ways an all around more competitive school, with a 4.8% acceptance rate and a much more competitive athletic program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 07:37 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,511,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
I said to a lesser extent. CUNY is the largest citywide university system in the country. It's SUNY but on the city level. It's a notable institution.

Congrats on finding an article that says SUNY is not "flagship." SUNY is THE NY public university system, and one of the largest in the country at that. If not officially a flagship, it is the largest public university system in NY. It doesn't change the fact that I listed 24 states with a public university or system named after the state, my original point of comparison here that started this tangent, and that NJ does not have this. YOU brought up NY, not me.

I don't know why you're so hellbent on arguing with me here but whatever.

You're confusing yourself because you don't seem to understand the term "flagship"
The idea is that SUNY has no flagship institution. That would be a single institution, within the SUNY system, that stands above the rest (see the CA examples). Like a single flagship among the fleet - the best one carrying the flag. Some might argue SUNY Buffalo, some might say Stony Brook. But its really not clear - unlike most other state institutions.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:55 AM

973 posts, read 908,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
ucla ?
UC Berkeley is ranked higher than UCLA. Cal was also the first established University of California.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:20 AM

16,360 posts, read 10,388,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Disagree about what? That most large public universities and university systems are named after their state and NJ's isn't, which can cause some confusion? That was my original point here, in response to a particular post. Context can be helpful, and we're way out of it now but maybe people should go back to see where this originated. If I was ever somehow unclear in my message here I apologize but I have stated my point multiple times now and not much else is relevant.
This is where it originated. Way back in Post No. 83. By me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Oh, and I used to think that Rutgers was a private school. Not sure when I learned that it is the state university of New Jersey. Just goes to show that even an Ivy League graduate can be ignorant of some things.
I'm sorry. I'm the one who started all this. It's all my fault . . .

Old 01-19-2017, 08:30 AM

16,360 posts, read 10,388,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
You're confusing yourself because you don't seem to understand the term "flagship"
The idea is that SUNY has no flagship institution. That would be a single institution, within the SUNY system, that stands above the rest (see the CA examples). Like a single flagship among the fleet - the best one carrying the flag. Some might argue SUNY Buffalo, some might say Stony Brook. But its really not clear - unlike most other state institutions.
Yes, it's helpful to clear up the "flagship" term, as you've done here. "Flagship" is a naval term, meaning the ship from which the commanding admiral leads his fleet. Because admirals are issued their own flags, and they fly them on the ship from which they're commanding, this ship is known as the "flagship." Though a flagship technically could be any vessel, it's usually the largest, strongest, or otherwise "best" ship available in the fleet.

The term has since expanded to refer to the single most important or most prestigious or most famous single unit of a group. Thus, for example, the Macy's store on 34th Street in New York is referred to as the flagship of the Macy's chain. The Rutgers campus in New Brunswick is the flagship of the New Jersey university system. (At least, I think it is.) In my state, the large public university campus located in College Park is known as the flagship of the University of Maryland system.

I do find it interesting that there doesn't appear to be any flagship institution within the SUNY system. I'm not familiar with any of the specific schools, so I can't comment on Stony Brook or Buffalo or whatever. But that's the point: a flagship school would be known as such, even by people who aren't closely familiar with the system.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:20 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,318,490 times
Quote:
Yes, it's helpful to clear up the "flagship" term, as you've done here. "Flagship" is a naval term, meaning the ship from which the commanding admiral leads his fleet. Because admirals are issued their own flags, and they fly them on the ship from which they're commanding, this ship is known as the "flagship." Though a flagship technically could be any vessel, it's usually the largest, strongest, or otherwise "best" ship available in the fleet.

The term has since expanded to refer to the single most important or most prestigious or most famous single unit of a group. Thus, for example, the Macy's store on 34th Street in New York is referred to as the flagship of the Macy's chain. The Rutgers campus in New Brunswick is the flagship of the New Jersey university system. (At least, I think it is.) In my state, the large public university campus located in College Park is known as the flagship of the University of Maryland system.

I do find it interesting that there doesn't appear to be any flagship institution within the SUNY system. I'm not familiar with any of the specific schools, so I can't comment on Stony Brook or Buffalo or whatever. But that's the point: a flagship school would be known as such, even by people who aren't closely familiar with the system.
I would definitely suggest you read the NYT article I posted last night. It's very interesting. Basically, NY was the last state to start a state university system. My allowable three sentences:
"New York was the last of the populous states to form a university system. SUNY was not founded until 1948 and over the strenuous objections of the state’s powerful private colleges and universities. And it began with the stipulation that it would only “supplement†the private institutions and not compete with them."

Interesting that the U of CO, out in cowboy country, was founded in 1876. U of Ill-1867. But the ed systems in the east and west are different. Here in CO, there are very few private colleges. The state colleges are the "Big Kahunas". Now Illinois has a lot of private colleges, especially in the Chicago are, but the U of I is still the Big Kahuna there as well.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:12 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,058,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffypoopoo View Post
UC Berkeley is ranked higher than UCLA. Cal was also the first established University of California.
Yes, UC Berkeley is the original.

Old 01-19-2017, 02:02 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,533,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffypoopoo View Post
Quote:

ucla has the most ncaa championships. i think it is just somewhat more popular with more well-known alumn (kareem adbul-jabbar, bill walton, reggie miller). dont know much about the academics of either but i would assume that most un-educated folks would assume the bigger and more popular institution is the flagship ?

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 01-19-2017 at 02:14 PM..

Old 01-19-2017, 03:06 PM

752 posts, read 1,482,550 times
While the Ivy League schools are certainly excellent institutions of higher education and carry that special prestige, there are still plenty of other very, very good and highly competitive schools in the US that are not part of the League. Ones like MIT, Stanford, Cal Tech, U. of Chicago and such are just a few.
I attended a state university in New England and I think I got a pretty decent education to prepare me for the business world. A number of people in my family, including my own father attended Ivy Leagues---in fact, within my family, each Ivy League school except for Princeton someone has attended. While a degree from one certainly can carry much weight, the tuition costs are substantial and I have seen many people go on to very successful careers who had attended/graduated state colleges. So, I think the Ivies can be a bit over-rated. Many are legacy schools, where admission can be partly decided--or influenced to a degree, by other family members having attended.

They are also the schools where many of the Establishment and 'Old Money" families still go, though since the 1960s that pattern has changed a bit. If I had children, I would not insist or push them to go to one, but if they managed to obtain admission due to hard academic work, etc. then wonderful. But there are plenty of other perfectly good options out there.

Old 01-19-2017, 03:14 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,794,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
(This thread is really intended for those on the west coast. It's probably old knowledge for most of you on the east coast.)

I think it should be mandatory to teach students which colleges are in the Ivy league. This is often confused.

For example, UC-Berkeley is not Ivy league. It's a state college in California. Nor is Caltech or MIT.

There are only 8 Ivy league colleges:
Brown University
Columbia University
Cornell University
Dartmouth College
Harvard University
Princeton University
University of Pennsylvania
Yale University

If the college you're talking about is not on the list above, it's not Ivy league.
Don't waste your time at Berkeley or MIT...you'll never get a job!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting