Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2017, 03:16 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,820,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin023 View Post
While the Ivy League schools are certainly excellent institutions of higher education and carry that special prestige, there are still plenty of other very, very good and highly competitive schools in the US that are not part of the League. Ones like MIT, Stanford, Cal Tech, U. of Chicago and such are just a few.
I attended a state university in New England and I think I got a pretty decent education to prepare me for the business world. A number of people in my family, including my own father attended Ivy Leagues---in fact, within my family, each Ivy League school except for Princeton someone has attended. While a degree from one certainly can carry much weight, the tuition costs are substantial and I have seen many people go on to very successful careers who had attended/graduated state colleges. So, I think the Ivies can be a bit over-rated. Many are legacy schools, where admission can be partly decided--or influenced to a degree, by other family members having attended.

They are also the schools where many of the Establishment and 'Old Money" families still go, though since the 1960s that pattern has changed a bit. If I had children, I would not insist or push them to go to one, but if they managed to obtain admission due to hard academic work, etc. then wonderful. But there are plenty of other perfectly good options out there.
I went to Umass-Amherst and 15 years later I have had a much more successful career then my friend that went to Princeton. And I know people that never went to college that are millionaires. Go figure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 03:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Don't waste your time at Berkeley or MIT...you'll never get a job!!!!
Yeah, maybe you should go to Caltech instead. My spouse has never had a problem being employed.

Quote:
I went to Umass-Amherst and 15 years later I have had a much more successful career then my friend that went to Princeton. And I know people that never went to college that are millionaires. Go figure
Oh, not this again! I'm so glad I bookmarked this: http://www.bls.gov/emp/ep_chart_001.htm
While individual situations may vary, in general, the more education, the higher the salary and the lower the unemployment.

Old 01-19-2017, 04:57 PM

752 posts, read 1,493,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Yeah, maybe you should go to Caltech instead. My spouse has never had a problem being employed.

Oh, not this again! I'm so glad I bookmarked this: http://www.bls.gov/emp/ep_chart_001.htm
While individual situations may vary, in general, the more education, the higher the salary and the lower the unemployment
I don't think he was really suggesting college is a waste of time or money, but that there are still some who manage to become very successful without a college degree---though they are indeed in a small minority.
On the average, income rises with the more years of college one has attained, and the difference between a high school grad and even a four-year college grad is substantial, income wise. Are the very high tuition costs of the Ivy League schools really worth it if one is considering earning potential?

I do think having a degree from one of the Ivies virtually guarantees continuous employment as they will have an easier time getting hired as opposed to someone who has the same degree from a state college.

That said, those who attend an Ivy League school can have the benefit of having access to certain opportunities or making certain connections that might otherwise not be available and those of course can be highly influential and important later on. That aspect may increase the chances of landing certain positions later on that otherwise might not have been achievable.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:54 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,287 times
Quote:
I went to Umass-Amherst...
i'll talk slower. ha.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin023 View Post
I don't think he was really suggesting college is a waste of time or money, but that there are still some who manage to become very successful without a college degree---though they are indeed in a small minority.
On the average, income rises with the more years of college one has attained, and the difference between a high school grad and even a four-year college grad is substantial, income wise. Are the very high tuition costs of the Ivy League schools really worth it if one is considering earning potential?

I do think having a degree from one of the Ivies virtually guarantees continuous employment as they will have an easier time getting hired as opposed to someone who has the same degree from a state college.

That said, those who attend an Ivy League school can have the benefit of having access to certain opportunities or making certain connections that might otherwise not be available and those of course can be highly influential and important later on. That aspect may increase the chances of landing certain positions later on that otherwise might not have been achievable.
He's a big boy, let him speak for himself.

Old 01-20-2017, 01:30 AM

12,883 posts, read 13,977,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
You're confusing yourself because you don't seem to understand the term "flagship"
The idea is that SUNY has no flagship institution. That would be a single institution, within the SUNY system, that stands above the rest (see the CA examples). Like a single flagship among the fleet - the best one carrying the flag. Some might argue SUNY Buffalo, some might say Stony Brook. But its really not clear - unlike most other state institutions.
By "flagship" I meant a state's leading, largest, most popular or most nationally well-known state university system or single state university. I'm not confusing myself, just perhaps using terms differently. Many states have multiple state universities but they also tend to have a well-known system that is often named after the state itself. For example in NJ we have Montclair State University and Stockton College as smaller state schools, among a few others, but Rutgers is our leading state school system. It's the largest and most well-known. It would be the perfect example if it was called "University of NJ." SUNY is the largest and most extensive state university system in NY.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:54 AM

973 posts, read 914,567 times
Quote:
Haha, come on now. I went to Berkeley and I work for Boeing. I got a job! I also went to UChi for g.school though...so maybe it's because I went to Chicago that I got a job.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffypoopoo View Post
Haha, come on now. I went to Berkeley and I work for Boeing. I got a job! I also went to UChi for g.school though...so maybe it's because I went to Chicago that I got a job.
i think you were too sensitive as a berkeley alumn thus missing the sarcasm. i think ryan was quoting the op which implied only schools in the ivy league conference have good academics and people who mis-categorize m.i.t. and berkeley as being in the ivy conference are somewhat uninformed and dim-witted.

he was sarcastically pointing out that many m.i.t. and berkeley graduates go on to do great things because they outrank most of the colleges in the ivy league at least in engineering.

duh, i went to an a-10 university and even i picked up on the satire.

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 01-20-2017 at 09:45 AM..

Old 01-20-2017, 11:11 AM

973 posts, read 914,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i think you were too sensitive as a berkeley alumn thus missing the sarcasm. i think ryan was quoting the op which implied only schools in the ivy league conference have good academics and people who mis-categorize m.i.t. and berkeley as being in the ivy conference are somewhat uninformed and dim-witted.

he was sarcastically pointing out that many m.i.t. and berkeley graduates go on to do great things because they outrank most of the colleges in the ivy league at least in engineering.

duh, i went to an a-10 university and even i picked up on the satire.

I also was joking...it was just playful banter.

Old 01-20-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffypoopoo View Post
I also was joking...it was just playful banter.
now it is i who is mistaken. had i only taken the time to memorize the 8 members of the ivy league so many years ago, i wouldve avoided such folly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting