Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 09:59 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
(This thread is really intended for those on the west coast. It's probably old knowledge for most of you on the east coast.)

I think it should be mandatory to teach students which colleges are in the Ivy league. This is often confused.

For example, UC-Berkeley is not Ivy league. It's a state college in California. Nor is Caltech or MIT.

There are only 8 Ivy league colleges:
Brown University
Columbia University
Cornell University
Dartmouth College
Harvard University
Princeton University
University of Pennsylvania
Yale University

If the college you're talking about is not on the list above, it's not Ivy league.
And this all matters why? Most people can't afford to go to those anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 10:08 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
And this all matters why? Most people can't afford to go to those anyway.
Ivy league schools have huge endowments, which means that the vast majority of students pay far less than the listed tuition. In fact, Ivies can end up being much more affordable than state schools. The only thing is, you have to get in, and that's no easy feat.

Old 01-15-2017, 10:23 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,085,200 times
I'm trying very hard to care about this issue and getting nowhere. Personally, I'd like to see every high school student made aware of the fact that the education they receive in ANY college will directly correlate to their own participation and effort, not to some fancy name.

Old 01-15-2017, 10:36 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaparrito View Post
I'm trying very hard to care about this issue and getting nowhere. Personally, I'd like to see every high school student made aware of the fact that the education they receive in ANY college will directly correlate to their own participation and effort, not to some fancy name.
Hear hear on that.

I was a hiring manager for engineers for 20 years. I mean real engineers like mechanical engineers and electrical engineers. We designed electromechanical products to be mass produced and sold at a profit. Performance, execution, meeting a budget, and meeting schedules were critical to our success, unlike the "startup" model where the objective is to get some initial investment money, make something that looks good, and sell the company off so those at the top get a huge payoff and everyone else gets unemployment.

For this job of actually designing and introducing real products into manufacturing, I had better results with recent graduates from low-prestige small state universities than from name brand schools. The small schools usually have smaller classes, and the actual professors actually teach most of the classes. Also, a larger proportion of the professors have real world experience as opposed to academic-only experience. At "Name Brand U" it's much more likely you will sit in giant lectures of hundreds, taught by teaching assistants who can't speak English; that the "star" professor will show up for two lectures and never be seen again once the drop deadline passes; that any kind of interesting lab work or special research stuff will be reserved for the PhD candidates because that's how they get their free labor for the profs to fulfill the terms of their grants; etc., etc., etc.

Unless you are one of the super-talented 0.1%, AND you possess superior self-marketing skills to bring yourself to the attention of the powers that be, I suggest you can go to a low-prestige small state school and come out after four years with a B.S. far more ready to jump in and participate in real world work, than the majority of students from the big name schools.

By the way, I have a degree from a name brand university, so I don't think this opinion is a case of sour grapes.

Old 01-15-2017, 10:45 AM

1,156 posts, read 941,458 times
Agree with OP it should be mandatory teaching in K-12, maybe a whole semester in Grade 9 for emphasis. Maybe one day there will be a simple source of information available to anyone with a phone or computer where such things can be looked up in less than a minute.

Old 01-15-2017, 12:03 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
(This thread is really intended for those on the west coast. It's probably old knowledge for most of you on the east coast.)

I think it should be mandatory to teach students which colleges are in the Ivy league. This is often confused.

For example, UC-Berkeley is not Ivy league. It's a state college in California. Nor is Caltech or MIT.

There are only 8 Ivy league colleges:
Brown University
Columbia University
Cornell University
Dartmouth College
Harvard University
Princeton University
University of Pennsylvania
Yale University

If the college you're talking about is not on the list above, it's not Ivy league.
The "Ivy League" grouping actually began as reference to a NCAA sports conference. Should all students be required to know the make-up of all NCAA conferences? Big 10? Sun Belt? ACC?

Quick - rattle off all 12 schools who are in the Mountain West! You have five seconds to provide this important piece of information.

Ivy League

Old 01-15-2017, 12:41 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,305,210 times
Of all the things I wish to impart upon my children when I discuss their college options; what is (or what is not) an Ivy League School won't be one of them. I cannot fathom a world in which this distinction matters.

Old 01-15-2017, 01:38 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,046,867 times
The Ivy League is a collegiate athletic conference comprising sports teams from eight private institutions of higher education in the Northeastern United States. The conference name is also commonly used to refer to those eight schools as a group beyond the sports context. The eight institutions are Brown University, Columbia University, Cornell University, Dartmouth College, Harvard University, the University of Pennsylvania, Princeton University, and Yale University. The term Ivy League has connotations of academic excellence, selectivity in admissions, and social elitism.....from wikipedia

Old 01-15-2017, 01:46 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
If you tech kids this, you should also teach them that other than Havard and for some subjects, Yale, Ivy league schools are no longer any better than any other top colleges or universities and not at good as many, yet they still cost more. They should know that the "ivy League" concept is out of date, and, for example Stanford and Berkeley are both better schools than most of the ones on the "ivy league" list.

Frankly that may be more important than known which schools someone believes to be ivy league. It actually serves a purpose as if prevents kids from being misled into wasting a ton of money on what is now a bad deal.

Old 01-15-2017, 01:48 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmeck View Post
Of all the things I wish to impart upon my children when I discuss their college options; what is (or what is not) an Ivy League School won't be one of them. I cannot fathom a world in which this distinction matters.

In the prior millennium some people believed it mattered. However since the turn of the mellennium/century, most people know better
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting