Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2017, 05:16 PM

501 posts, read 928,817 times

Advertisements

(This thread is really intended for those on the west coast. It's probably old knowledge for most of you on the east coast.)

I think it should be mandatory to teach students which colleges are in the Ivy league. This is often confused.

For example, UC-Berkeley is not Ivy league. It's a state college in California. Nor is Caltech or MIT.

There are only 8 Ivy league colleges:
Brown University
Columbia University
Cornell University
Dartmouth College
Harvard University
Princeton University
University of Pennsylvania
Yale University

If the college you're talking about is not on the list above, it's not Ivy league.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 05:24 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,371,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
(This thread is really intended for those on the west coast. It's probably old knowledge for most of you on the east coast.)

I think it should be mandatory to teach students which colleges are in the Ivy league. This is often confused.

For example, UC-Berkeley is not Ivy league. It's a state college in California. Nor is Caltech or MIT.

Brown University
Columbia University
Cornell University
Dartmouth College
Harvard University
Princeton University
Yale University

If the college you're talking about is not on the list above, it's not Ivy league.

Pretty sure most people in California (and most everywhere) understand that the UC system is not part of the Ivy League.

Along the same lines, are you also suggesting that Easterners be mandated to learn the difference between the UC system and the Cal State system?

Not to mention the difference between a college and a university.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:25 PM

13,976 posts, read 25,859,103 times
Why? Do you think a quality education is only available through an Ivy ?

Old 01-14-2017, 05:57 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,067,075 times
Why? The least you could do is give a reason.

Old 01-14-2017, 07:36 PM

16,383 posts, read 10,404,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Why? The least you could do is give a reason.
Perhaps the OP attended an Ivy League school and is annoyed that others are trying to claim their way into their prestige by identifying other high-quality but non-included schools with the Ivy League.

FWIW, I attended one of the schools on the Ivy list. Its name is the only one on the list that could be easily confused for being a state school. But it's not. The state schools in that particular state have the name of the state first, then "State University" after it. Our pet peeve was constantly having our school confused with the State University.

Old 01-14-2017, 07:43 PM

809 posts, read 1,325,769 times
Quote:

Brown University
Columbia University
Cornell University
Dartmouth College
Harvard University
Princeton University
Yale University

Why should it be mandatory?

Old 01-14-2017, 07:43 PM

501 posts, read 928,817 times
Reason? It was a constant source of confusion when I was a high school student. People thought that Stanford was an Ivy-league school. Nope, sure not.

No, I didn't attend a Ivy league school or prestigious non-Ivy league school.

It is just something that irks me.

Old 01-14-2017, 07:54 PM

809 posts, read 1,325,769 times
Really!

Of all the things in the world a child needs to know this is what bothers you? At what age do you think we should make this mandatory? Should it be mandatory for parents to teach the child or should it be mandatory that teachers do this?

Old 01-14-2017, 07:55 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,067,075 times
Quote:
Reason? It was a constant source of confusion when I was a high school student. People thought that Stanford was an Ivy-league school. Nope, sure not.

No, I didn't attend a Ivy league school or prestigious non-Ivy league school.

It is just something that irks me.
Of all the things kids "should" be taught, this does not make my list. I'm from California, BTW. I never thought Stanford or Cal were Ivy League. I didn't give much thought to ivy league schools at all. Most people don't.

Old 01-14-2017, 07:56 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,287,633 times
Those who need to know likely already do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting