Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 03:53 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times

Advertisements

Let's back up a bit...you are 27 years old and living at home.
There is a problem here, and it's not the hamster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 04:02 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,503,206 times
So you never plan on moving out unless your parents legally evict you?

Wow, that's like telling your parent "f you" everyday as you disregard their rules for THEIR home.

Last edited by charlygal; 01-16-2017 at 04:59 PM..

Old 01-16-2017, 04:26 PM

1,585 posts, read 1,931,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
I don't have a place. I'll move out if she gives me an eviction notice writing. Otherwise it's a trip
To court.
Court is the last place you want to end up, the snarky remarks from an internet forum are nothing compared to the verbal ***** slap a judge or magistrate will give you as they send you packing.

Old 01-16-2017, 05:06 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
Okay, you live with your parents and pay rent. Fine, as long as everyone respects one another's rights as adults. You agreed to care for the hamster without checking ahead of time with your parents. But your mother objects, and things have escalated into threats of forced leaving, hamster-ridding, and deterioration of parent-adult child relationships.

If you're paying $500 a month in rent, I expect you could afford to ask a local vet to board the hamster for a while - and send the bill to the original owner. Why have you not contacted that original hamster owner, btw? You might also check with your local humane society - hamsters are less common at such places than are cats and dogs, and so are likely to be in higher demand.

Settle the hamster debacle - then focus on finding your own place, with a human rather than hamster roommate if necessary.

You might also see if a local elementary classroom or children's library would like a pet. Check with private schools as well as public ones, who may have policies against classroom pets.

Old 01-16-2017, 08:41 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,309,266 times
[quote=tottsieanna;46852518]I'm on the side of your parents. First it is their home their rules.

Also I find it suspicious that you were only suppose to have the animal for a week and now it is week two and you still haven't heard from your ex Co worker. You should try and contact her and tell her to come and pick up her pet or you will rehome it.

If you want to be treated like a adult you need to act like a adult which is to respect others property and rules. If you don't like the rules then you move out. My son moved out on his own at 19 and my dd at 22.

I wonder if your Co worker dumped the critter on you.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:03 PM

305 posts, read 724,057 times
[quote=tottsieanna;46852549]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsieanna View Post
I'm on the side of your parents. First it is their home their rules.

Also I find it suspicious that you were only suppose to have the animal for a week and now it is week two and you still haven't heard from your ex Co worker. You should try and contact her and tell her to come and pick up her pet or you will rehome it.

If you want to be treated like a adult you need to act like a adult which is to respect others property and rules. If you don't like the rules then you move out. My son moved out on his own at 19 and my dd at 22.

I wonder if your Co worker dumped the critter on you.
She hasn't given me a call back and I left her a couple of voicemails.

If I do rehome, will she take legal action against me?

I would like to keep the little guy. And I'm making plans to move to a new place in a couple of months. When SR and I get a new place I'll take him with me if I have to. I called a pet boarder to make arrangements to hold the critter until either the coworker calls back or I get a new place.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:40 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
Adult A: please keep better care of the cage cleaning.
Adult b: thanks for the reminder, here is my plan to better handle this one time snafu.

Then do it.

See how both adults regard the issue? Maturely.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:06 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,309,266 times
[quote=Cynthetik;46852761]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsieanna View Post

She hasn't given me a call back and I left her a couple of voicemails.

If I do rehome, will she take legal action against me?

I would like to keep the little guy. And I'm making plans to move to a new place in a couple of months. When SR and I get a new place I'll take him with me if I have to. I called a pet boarder to make arrangements to hold the critter until either the coworker calls back or I get a new place.
Sounds like you figured out a solution and plan. I would keep trying to contact her at least one more time. I'm not sure about any legal action but then again she did abandoned it.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:07 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetik View Post
She said she gave me until the end of the day to get rid of it, or I'll be out too. Mind you, I've been paying $500 a month in rent to stay here and if she kicks me out then with no 30 day eviction notice, then I would be ready to sue her for the 3.5 years of rent costs, damages, room and board etc.
Why do you think you'll be able to sue for all that? Your mom basically gave you a notice to cure or quit. Get rid of the violation, or move.

How about instead of sueing, you say "Gee mom, thank you so much for letting your 27 year old adult child (fitting description btw) continue to live at home. Sorry I brought an animal into the house without first checking with you and dad."

And then move out already. If you work full time, then you should be able to live on your own, even if its with roommates.

Old 01-16-2017, 10:15 PM

358 posts, read 710,814 times
OP, there are literally hundreds of threads on this topic already...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting