Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 09:11 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,324,790 times

Advertisements

I'm glad he's the ex too, he just didn't have a healthy outlook on a lot of things but I was young and foolish back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2008, 09:30 AM

335 posts, read 1,533,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momlady530 View Post
No, I've never tasted my breast milk. Just couldn't do it. Which is weird considering I drink milk from the boob of a cow.
Isn't this odd? Has anyone ever wondered why there is almost this unspoken taboo about tasting breast milk?

Babies love it. We've all had breast milk before, but when we're older, it's like we are sort of afraid to even wonder about it.

Strange.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:38 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,377,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot juice View Post
I hope this isn't a strange question, but I know a lot of people wonder about it.

What does human breast milk tastes like? Has anyone tried their own breast milk? Any husbands out there who have tried their wife's milk?

How does it compare with cows milk? Does it have a lot of fat and nutrients in it to make the baby grow?

Also, how long did you breast feed your child for? And do you think human breast milk is better than formula?

Carrot
Hi!

Let me start off that I nursed my child for about 5 months. I always wanted to nurse for extended period of time, but unfortunately it didn't work out because I couldn't produce enough milk.

Breastmilk is called a liquid gold and deservingly so. Filled with nutrients and antibacterial qualities, it is the ideal food for babies and toddlers. It is truly the nature's perfect food, God's greatest design.
The quality of your breastmilk is greatly however depends on your diet. When a woman nurses, she needs to make sure that she eats a nutrient-dense food. Kefir, yogurt, green-leafy vegetables, fruits and as much organic as possible, because everything she eats (good or bad) transfers into her milk. So if she eats food filled with pesticides, rest assured, her baby is getting it.
But even so, it's still better then formula.
Additionally, everything you eat may or may not trigger allergy in your baby. That's why so many women have a hard time nursing, they really need.to watch.what. they.eat.

The taste of your milk also depends on what you ate. It will taste sweeter, if you ate something sweet, or sour if you ate something sour.

Mothers are adviced to stay away from gassy foods like broccoli and cauliflower. Scientifically, nobody can prove why it's important. I think it was all just based on experience and observance. I wonder about that, because the gassiest foods are also the most healthiest ones, so what do you do?

Cows milk is NOT recommended for children under 1 year old. It is impossible for babies to digest.

If you want to know more, google La Leche League.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:42 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,979,824 times
It tastes like cantaloupe. IMO.

Yes, I don't htink that anyone could think that breastmilk is NOT better than formula... that would be like saying that fruit snacks were as healthy or healthier than a fresh strawberry!

I only nursed my son for 3 weeks... I had a lot of trouble with it and gave up. I nursed my daughter for 3 1/2 years.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
My son had breastmilk only for the first year.
I tasted it and it was the sweetest stuff I'd ever
tasted. I told my friends it was like a
combination of sugar, syrup and honey.
After the first year when regular foods were
introduced he still had access to breastmilk
whenever he wanted. He'd nurse mostly for
comfort like if he was tired, stressed, had hurt himself
or was sleepy. Finally, on his 4th birthday I told
him we weren't going to do "milkies" anymore.
Mostly, because I was tired alot and couldn't gain any weight
(breastfeeding expends a lot of calories.) He was distressed
and sad about it for a few days and I felt so guilty because I know the
worldwide average for nursing is 7 years (even though in the US it's
only a few months).
It's amazing how many Americans find it strange to nurse past 2 years old, but in many countries, especially underdeveloped ones, mothers nurse for 3,4 even 5 years...and it's considered normal. Sometimes I wonder if Americans need to reevaluate what's normal.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:44 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times
Yes, it is odd.
I also wanted to mention that of course many women try to breast feed and can't or the mothers need to go back to work--but as another poster pointed out the most important thing is that your baby is healthy and eating well. My daughter stressed out so badly because she was having a problem breast feeding at first and felt she had to breast feed her new baby or she was a failure. I explained to her that she would not be any kind of a faliure because the most important thing is that baby eats well no matter how it is done!! She was finally able to breast feed but it is not for everyone and not everyone can do it. We are just lucky that there are many good formulas on the market that will keep your baby healthy and growing strong!!

Old 03-01-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Yes, it is odd.
I also wanted to mention that of course many women try to breast feed and can't or the mothers need to go back to work--but as another poster pointed out the most important thing is that your baby is healthy and eating well. My daughter stressed out so badly because she was having a problem breast feeding at first and felt she had to breast feed her new baby or she was a failure. I explained to her that she would not be any kind of a faliure because the most important thing is that baby eats well no matter how it is done!! She was finally able to breast feed but it is not for everyone and not everyone can do it. We are just lucky that there are many good formulas on the market that will keep your baby healthy and growing strong!!
It could be so heartbreaking, when your mind is set to nurse, but your body or your child is not on the same page.
We are really blessed to have formulas here that we can afford.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:41 AM

I would imagine that breastfeeding is also a wonderful bonding experience for the baby. Mummy tucks this little guy in next to her tummy, the warmest part of her body, and he can hear the sound of her heart beating, while he fills his tummy up with this sweet cantaloupe tasting milk.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
Finally, on his 4th birthday I told
him we weren't going to do "milkies" anymore.
Mostly, because I was tired alot and couldn't gain any weight
(breastfeeding expends a lot of calories.) He was distressed
and sad about it for a few days and I felt so guilty because I know the
worldwide average for nursing is 7 years (even though in the US it's
only a few months).
Weaning must be a difficult experience for both the mom and the baby. I think it is natural for a mom to feel like she "has had enough" but then she feels guilty for feeling that way. But what is she to do? The child is no longer a baby but this growing person. She needs energy for herself and it's time for the baby to do more on its own.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:16 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,936,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot juice View Post
Weaning must be a difficult experience for both the mom and the baby. I think it is natural for a mom to feel like she "has had enough" but then she feels guilty for feeling that way. But what is she to do? The child is no longer a baby but this growing person. She needs energy for herself and it's time for the baby to do more on its own.
I'm grateful to be able to BF my children longer term until they wean themselves. BFing is a relationship like anything else, it grows and evolves. Sometimes mom or baby needs more, sometimes less from the other. If it is done in a loving, respectful way to both parties it is an absolutely beautiful thing. My second son was an avid nurser and finally weaned himself at 4 (I ran out of milk due to being pregnant with my daughter and he one day pronounced my milk as "broken" and never nursed again).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting