Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 04:35 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,697,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I raised 5 children. Not once did I ever have to drag a child by any part of their body.
My sister had four kids, and "not one of them ever threw a tantrum" (as she told me when one of my toddlers threw a tantrum).

My mother-in-law had two, and "neither of her babies was ever set down on the floor" (as she told me when I let my baby crawl on the carpet).

I swear, some parents develop amnesia once their kids are grown.

Last edited by saibot; 01-20-2017 at 04:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 06:10 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
My sister had four kids, and "not one of them ever threw a tantrum" (as she told me when one of my toddlers threw a tantrum).

My mother-in-law had two, and "neither of her babies was ever set down on the floor" (as she told me when I let my baby crawl on the carpet).

I swear, some parents develop amnesia once their kids are grown.
So agree. I am more then sure I grabbed and pulled my kids out of places but a foot, elbow, knee. I don't remember it. But I am sure I did. Because why wouldn't I? Little ones crawl into small paces...parents have to get them out. If not, call 911?

Maybe some people don't actually leave the house with kids?

Old 01-20-2017, 07:17 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,651,821 times
My son at two got away from my mother in a crowded Macy's...he started to run through the clothes racks...oh yeah I pulled him out by the head of his hair...it was all I could grab...

Old 01-24-2017, 07:46 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,742,675 times
This is something of a grey area. It's obviously wrong, but how wrong? There was no danger to the child that she was saving him from. The foster parent admitted to it. The 2 year old was just trying to grab a toothbrush that fell under a table. But the foster mom didn't like that and dragged him, while his head hit the legs of the table.

Would anyone here send their child to be taken care of, babysat or daycare, to someone who drags a 2 year old by the foot if he is grabbing at something that will be no danger to him.

I think of it like this. Would I treat any other person like this? Would I drag an adult by the foot, if they were trying to grab something I didn't want them to have. Obviously not. Id consider that assault. Why is it different if it was a 2 year old?

Old 01-25-2017, 10:51 AM

7,126 posts, read 8,651,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
This is something of a grey area. It's obviously wrong, but how wrong? There was no danger to the child that she was saving him from. The foster parent admitted to it. The 2 year old was just trying to grab a toothbrush that fell under a table. But the foster mom didn't like that and dragged him, while his head hit the legs of the table.

Would anyone here send their child to be taken care of, babysat or daycare, to someone who drags a 2 year old by the foot if he is grabbing at something that will be no danger to him.

I think of it like this. Would I treat any other person like this? Would I drag an adult by the foot, if they were trying to grab something I didn't want them to have. Obviously not. Id consider that assault. Why is it different if it was a 2 year old?
I get what you are saying...but a two year old acts with out understanding the possible grave outcome of their actions...now in this specific case it was an over reaction on the part of the parent no doubt...but if that same child was about to run out in traffic and the parent grabbed them by the arm saved them from being hit by a car yet the child's arm was dislocated? Would that be assault??? No...so it is really a case by case issue...but I don't think the mom in this case should be fostering anymore children...

Old 01-25-2017, 11:44 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,262,053 times
Huh? Never even crossed my mind. Telling my daughter bye and letting her think I was leaving her behind was enough to get her to follow. She is almost 11 and will just about start to cry if we for some reason get separated in a store.

Old 01-25-2017, 12:04 PM

149 posts, read 226,535 times
Quote:
Why is it different if it was a 2 year old?
I would never wipe an adult's butt for them either but I am having problems convincing my 2 year old daughter that I shouldn't have to do it for her for that reason.

OP sounds like the 'birth mother' who is jaded and looking for people to justify her feeling the way she does.

Old 01-25-2017, 06:40 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,759,830 times
Quote:

There was nothing wrong with what the foster mom did, and I think you sound like you don't actually care about the child so much as you just want to get the foster parent in trouble for some reason. A two year old, if allowed to pick up a toothbrush, will instantly put that toothbrush in their mouth. Since the toothbrush was on the floor underneath the kitchen table, I'm assuming that the toothbrush was in no condition to be put in the mouth of a two year old. I did not let my young toddlers pick up dirty used personal hygiene products off of the floor either.

Yes I would send my child to a daycare that cared enough to try to keep my child safe, by preventing my child from putting dirty personal hygiene products in their mouths, rather than just being lazy and not caring.

Why are you so anxious to turn this into something bad?

Old 01-25-2017, 06:45 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,759,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
Huh? Never even crossed my mind. Telling my daughter bye and letting her think I was leaving her behind was enough to get her to follow. She is almost 11 and will just about start to cry if we for some reason get separated in a store.
Which post are you replying to? Because it looks as if you are saying if your child was about to be hit by a car, then you'd walk away and say "bye!"

That can't be right.

Old 01-26-2017, 01:57 PM

2,469 posts, read 3,262,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
Which post are you replying to? Because it looks as if you are saying if your child was about to be hit by a car, then you'd walk away and say "bye!"

That can't be right.
I'm answering the original post. Actually, I did just that very thing when she was little. She was one of those kids that would just take off and start running. Took her out of the car at preschool, as soon as her feet hit the ground she took off running. She ran right into the street in the path of a moving truck. I threw my hands in the air with an expletive and just stood there. When she got back to me I spanked her, and good, in the parking lot of a religious pre-school.

You know what I had to do to stop that running off garbage? Show her a youtube video of a toddler running into traffic and getting hit by cars. How did I get her to stop sucking her thumb when she was little? Show her pictures of what her teeth will look like if she continued. Running up to/trying to pet strange dogs? Cujo movie (She doesn't remember this) in combo with pictures of kids faces mauled by dogs.

I'm mean, I know.-but it works for my kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting