Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 07:53 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Parents should foster a child's strengths, so that the young adult can choose wisely.
I like this answer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 07:55 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
One of my worst fears is one of my kids will say they want to major in something that is totally impractical. Because I did that, and then reality hit when I graduated from college and employers didn't want people with my degree. So I tried to support myself living paycheck to paycheck, and it wasn't easy for quite a few years.
Yes, that can hapen. There was a woman in our Budget Department with a degree in bronze-age archaeology.

Old 01-29-2017, 08:15 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
She's the type of pretty that even with 3 kids, some dumbazz will support her. She looks just like her mom.
You mean like "some dumbazz" who teaches his daughter her value is in her looks?

Old 01-29-2017, 08:58 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
A bit of a no-brainer question. First of all, interests do not indicate careers. We can support any interest, within financial limitations, while still expecting our kids to make intelligent academic choices.

While there is no reason to dissuade a young child from dreaming of a major league contract, or the presidency, when it comes time to planning their future( I'm referring to college majors here), parents are not obligated to fund those dreams.

My kids were artistic, we provided art lessons. They loved sports, we paid for travel leagues. But they all chose college majors that interested them, while promising good career prospects. If any one of them had wanted to major in something offbeat, we might have held off promising tuition dollars until they investigated how they would make a living with such a degree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
Yup this.

There is "my favorite thing to do in the world", and there is "my favorite thing to do that I can also make enough money at to support my family". The second becomes your career, and the first becomes your hobby that you do in your free time from your career.

Every once in a while, someone is lucky enough that the two things are the same. Those are the folks telling everyone else to just "follow their dreams", because it worked out fine for them. The rest of us have to be a little more picky.

Both excellent posts.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
In thinking this all over, I think it depends on what you call "support". I find nothing wrong with "reality checks", e.g. letting your kids know it's hard to get into med school, or having a Broadway stage career; I probably wouldn't discourage it to the point of saying I wouldn't pay for a "pre-med" degree, or a theater degree or whatever. I wouldn't support something that seems totally unrealistic for the kid, e.g. theater for a kid who never makes it into the school plays, etc.
My grandson is going the acting route. His mother supported him all the way and he is in a private university which they cannot afford. He is also very picky about an acting career…tv and commercials are beneath him. He only wants Broadway. He never did have a lead in any of his High School performances and started late. I hope he makes it big but that's all I can say.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:24 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,129,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
My grandson is going the acting route. His mother supported him all the way and he is in a private university which they cannot afford. He is also very picky about an acting career…tv and commercials are beneath him. He only wants Broadway. He never did have a lead in any of his High School performances and started late. I hope he makes it big but that's all I can say.
Wow.

IMHO, all of the negatives (starting late, being picking, never having leads even in HS), probably put his chances of success at 1 in a million instead of just 1 in 500,000.

I hope that your daughter is a multi-millionaire and can support him the rest of her life.

One of my daughter's friends wanted an acting career. She started out in lead roles in community theater productions as a child. Did modeling and commercials. Won singing contests & major dance competitions. Etc. Etc. Was a triple threat (singer, dancer, actress).

She went to an inexpensive college that had a fabulous theater department and was the lead in numerous performances starting her freshman year.

She now works in jewelry store.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:31 AM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I know two young women who dreamed of a Broadway career. They do have lovely singing voices, and from what I've seen, they really come alive on the stage. But, despite their college theater majors, despite moving to NYC and taking every job they could that allowed them to attend auditions, one returned to school to get her masters, and is practicing musical therapy. The other is working in HR.

It's a difficult way to make a living for the majority who want to do so.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Wow.

IMHO, all of the negatives (starting late, being picking, never having leads even in HS), probably put his chances of success at 1 in a million instead of just 1 in 500,000.

I hope that your daughter is a multi-millionaire and can support him the rest of her life.

One of my daughter's friends wanted an acting career. She started out in lead roles in community theater productions as a child. Did modeling and commercials. Won singing contests & major dance competitions. Etc. Etc. Was a triple threat (singer, dancer, actress).

She went to an inexpensive college that had a fabulous theater department and was the lead in numerous performances starting her freshman year.

She now works in jewelry store.
Quote:
I know two young women who dreamed of a Broadway career. They do have lovely singing voices, and from what I've seen, they really come alive on the stage. But, despite their college theater majors, despite moving to NYC and taking every job they could that allowed them to attend auditions, one returned to school to get her masters, and is practicing musical therapy. The other is working in HR.

It's an extremely tough career choice. He can sing and can act but he sadly is not "great". I imagine he has a tough road ahead of him as he has been told by so many family members how great he is…and no one can pay for his schooling at over $40,000 a year. It's one thing to support your kids and stand behind them it's quite another to set them up for disappointment.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:08 AM

5,132 posts, read 4,481,127 times
Quote:
A bit of a no-brainer question. First of all, interests do not indicate careers. We can support any interest, within financial limitations, while still expecting our kids to make intelligent academic choices.

While there is no reason to dissuade a young child from dreaming of a major league contract, or the presidency, when it comes time to planning their future( I'm referring to college majors here), parents are not obligated to fund those dreams.

My kids were artistic, we provided art lessons. They loved sports, we paid for travel leagues. But they all chose college majors that interested them, while promising good career prospects. If any one of them had wanted to major in something offbeat, we might have held off promising tuition dollars until they investigated how they would make a living with such a degree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
There is "my favorite thing to do in the world", and there is "my favorite thing to do that I can also make enough money at to support my family". The second becomes your career, and the first becomes your hobby that you do in your free time from your career.

Every once in a while, someone is lucky enough that the two things are the same. Those are the folks telling everyone else to just "follow their dreams", because it worked out fine for them. The rest of us have to be a little more picky.
I agree with all of the above.

I, too, believe in supporting children's interests and introducing them to lots of things so that they can have a broad knowledge of their options.

However, it is important to also be realistic with children and have them understand the importance of choosing a career that will give them a good income and financial stability. Children need to have it drilled into them that nothing in life is free, and that they need to have a skill that will enable them to earn a good living. Mommy and daddy won't be around to support them forever.

Old 01-29-2017, 12:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:

I know a young woman who went into theater as well. She was in many school plays while she went to school with my kids. She majored in theater at a college in Chicago; I can't remember which one. Last I heard, she was acting in some theater groups there. It does happen, sometimes. And, if you have a theater degree, you could always get some teaching credentials and teach it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting