Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 05:20 AM

3,613 posts, read 4,116,625 times

Advertisements

Most of those videos aren't appropriate for ANYONE to watch. With a 10 year old, practice this simple word "no".

Seriously though, raise your kids right, give them responsibilities and expectations that they behave, teach them right from wrong and you won't have issues with social media, etc. If, however, you start instituting rules to just to have rules and forbid them from doing _______ just because you think they might get into trouble, well, that is how they will act.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 06:37 AM

136 posts, read 98,286 times
How about the concept of kids under 18 shouldn't have phones and computers with access to internet? Parents give these to their kids and then wonder why they get in trouble? My kid would never do that! Yep, they just did. Cyber bullying wouldn't exist if these kids didn't have access to the internet. Parental supervision means you stand over your kid and watch what they do, not give them access and just tell them don't do this and this. If you can't supervise, then they don't get on internet. Simple.

Old 02-06-2017, 06:19 PM

3,613 posts, read 4,116,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weenie66 View Post
How about the concept of kids under 18 shouldn't have phones and computers with access to internet? Parents give these to their kids and then wonder why they get in trouble? My kid would never do that! Yep, they just did. Cyber bullying wouldn't exist if these kids didn't have access to the internet. Parental supervision means you stand over your kid and watch what they do, not give them access and just tell them don't do this and this. If you can't supervise, then they don't get on internet. Simple.
Well, my kids would have not been able to do homework then because their textbooks in high school were online, not to mention research needed for papers, etc. No, cyber bullying wouldn't exist, but bullying would. Parenting doesn't mean hovering over your children every waking minute, it is about teaching children how to grow up and be productive adults, think for themselves and do for themselves. This is something that starts as infants and grows with the child. If you think that just because someone turns 18 that they are automatically able to handle life without practice along the way, your kids are in for some serious issues at 18.

Old 02-07-2017, 03:47 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I get it. I totally want her to develope better decision-making capabilities. She is on animal jam, plays movie star plannet. She wants a youtube page and I was not soo keen on that. She is on musically because he added the ap to my phone and started using it. She has some creative clips... but I thought it was over the top.

Oh the headache. These aps/ sites are like letting millions of strangers poke their nose in to your life.

Correction, You are letting millions of strangers poke their nose into your life if you are allowing these apps.

Old 08-28-2017, 06:33 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,732,440 times
I was going to start a thread on this subject and saw this thread. My daughter is 11 and we got her a phone a few months ago for her birthday. She is now asking to do social media such as Musically and Snapchat. Her father and I don't have any social media accounts and after reading up on them I don't feel it's appropriate for her age. I understand there's blocks and I can monitor the use, but all it takes is one slip and a bully could post something horrible about her and not to mention child stalkers! She's very upset we won't let her participate as she said all of her friends do it, but IMHO I don't think it's safe or appropriate for an 11 yr old!

Last edited by CGab; 08-28-2017 at 07:46 AM..

Old 08-28-2017, 06:46 AM

214 posts, read 180,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I was going to start a thread on this subject and saw this thread. My daughter is 11 and we got her a phone a few months ago for her birthday. She is now asking to do social media such as Musicly and Snapchat. Her father and I don't have any social media accounts and after reading up on them I don't feel it's appropriate for her age. I understand there's blocks and I can monitor the use, but all it takes is one slip and a bully could post something horrible about her and not to mention child stalkers! She's very upset we won't let her participate as she said all of her friends do it, but IMHO I don't think it's safe or appropriate for an 11 yr old!

I have an 11 y/o daughter and we don't allow Snapchat but she is on Musically. I actually have the Musically app on my phone too and are logged on to her acct so I can follow what she is doing so far it has worked out ok.

We go through her followers and she knows not to let anyone follow her that she doesn't know.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:53 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,732,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKB0925 View Post
I have an 11 y/o daughter and we don't allow Snapchat but she is on Musically. I actually have the Musically app on my phone too and are logged on to her acct so I can follow what she is doing so far it has worked out ok.

We go through her followers and she knows not to let anyone follow her that she doesn't know.
I know a lot of parents allow their kids to do Musically; however, we have decided against it. First off, you as a parent need to consent that the child is over 13 which mine is not. Also, it only takes one so called follower to put a nasty comment on there and now you're dealing with a bully situation. It's also still connected to the internet which I don't want my kids posting pics of themselves on. I'd rather my child not do any of it. At 11 years old I feel she should just be happy to have a phone and not worry about the rest of that stuff.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:46 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,809,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I was going to start a thread on this subject and saw this thread. My daughter is 11 and we got her a phone a few months ago for her birthday. She is now asking to do social media such as Musically and Snapchat. Her father and I don't have any social media accounts and after reading up on them I don't feel it's appropriate for her age. I understand there's blocks and I can monitor the use, but all it takes is one slip and a bully could post something horrible about her and not to mention child stalkers! She's very upset we won't let her participate as she said all of her friends do it, but IMHO I don't think it's safe or appropriate for an 11 yr old!
I would not allow an 11 year old on snapchat<snip> once kids start having crushes and whatnot the temptation to use snapchat sexually in order to win favor or hold attention can outpace thier maturity level. That's probably a year or two off for an 11 year old but it's a real phenomenon.

That said most kid snapchat users are just using it to make stupid faces to their friends.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 08-28-2017 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: deleted the inappropriate graphic sexual response

Old 08-28-2017, 09:14 AM

129 posts, read 110,229 times
My kids are 9 and 10 and are nowhere near being allowed on social media. Sometimes they get supervised Youtube time for art or music or yoga lessons, or we "visit" various areas around the world. There is no way I'm setting them loose online at their age. I don't care what others their age are doing.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:15 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,396,172 times
My oldest is almost 13 and, yes, most of his friends are on some sort of social media. It is tough on us as parents because it absolutely is their reality where I didn't even have internet until the end of college, let alone social media. It's uncharted territory. I allow it but I will take his device whenever I choose and check everything. I must know his passwords or he will lose access. I don't know what the right thing to do is. It's too new and changes too fast for us to really know, but my gut feeling was to have him learn from us now rather than on his own later. We have had a few minor issues that ended up being great learning experiences for him.

I don't know how I'd feel if I had a daughter. Social media does seem like almost too perfect a medium for the ways girls tend to mistreat each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting