Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2017, 08:37 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
She's talking about ADHD/ADD.
And?

Even if they are limiting it to ADHD/ADD, I am very dubious as to the claim that 20% of boys are drugged into a state of near catatonia by the time they graduate from high school. As the parent of a (very active) son (with very active friends) who recently graduated college (so not too far removed from high school), I don't recall knowing of or even hearing about any who were drugged to the point of near catatonia in order to treat ADHD or ADD. None.

Last edited by maciesmom; 02-05-2017 at 08:56 AM..

Old 02-05-2017, 09:08 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
Too general of a question to answer:

"Society" as a whole tends to dismiss females and their overall ability to be leaders, much harder on women to get ahead. Women are still treated as play things across many sectors of society...and especially so based on recent events at a national level....and women are still treated as second class citizens and it's "ok" by most standards. My boss overheard a discussion the other day about something to do with our company. The "information" this man was driveling was just flat our wrong. My boss finally had enough and interjected that what he was saying was wrong. He looked at her and said "well, how would you know"..she replied that she was the CEO of that company. He flat out told her to her face that there was no way she was a CEO....really?

Boys, I think have a harder time being able to express themselves and I think it's just the opposite of what Bitey says, that boys are expected to act like MEN that they can't feel sad, cry, be emotional when they need to. They are expected to be strong, take one for the Gipper, don't show weakness, etc. that they have no idea how to deal with their feelings.
Not that this compares at all in severity but it reminds me of when I was at the gym and a trainer trawling for clients was making the rounds as I was about to get on the chest press machine (yes, I know, that' doesn't really" count as weight training, since it's not free weights but whatever). Anyway, I was about to set it at the usual weight I use, which happens to be my own body weight. And he stopped me and said "That's not the right weight!" I told him that's the weight I'd been using for awhile now and showed him....I still don't know if he really believed me even after seeing that I did a full 12 reps...!

How can men just out and out contradict a woman on something she OBVIOUSLY cannot be wrong about?!

Old 02-05-2017, 09:08 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,238,095 times
<---------- Father of a girl. I think girls have it harder. Society lets boys get away with more stuff, the whole "boys will be boys" thing. There is no such phrase for a girl.

"Boys will be boys" has been used to excuse younger boys for throwing tantrums and breaking things, up to adults grabbing females by their private parts and making lewd statements regarding females.

Girls are held to a much higher standard, and in some cases, an impossible standard. Girls want to be popular, but if they acted like boys they are called sluts and whores. Girls are just as smart as men, but are not taken seriously if they show an interest in math and sciences. Their learning suffers because of it.

We want our girls to get good grades, get into a good college, start their careers... then expect them to give it all up to have children and start families. If they go back to work, they're seen as not being there for their child, like being a career woman is the wrong choice. So they stay home, and then they're viewed as lazy and not helping with the household expenses and putting all the pressure on the man to provide for everyone.

Guys have it a lot easier in comparison.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:13 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
Too general of a question to answer:

"Society" as a whole tends to dismiss females and their overall ability to be leaders, much harder on women to get ahead. Women are still treated as play things across many sectors of society...and especially so based on recent events at a national level....and women are still treated as second class citizens and it's "ok" by most standards. My boss overheard a discussion the other day about something to do with our company. The "information" this man was driveling was just flat our wrong. My boss finally had enough and interjected that what he was saying was wrong. He looked at her and said "well, how would you know"..she replied that she was the CEO of that company. He flat out told her to her face that there was no way she was a CEO....really?

Boys, I think have a harder time being able to express themselves and I think it's just the opposite of what Bitey says, that boys are expected to act like MEN that they can't feel sad, cry, be emotional when they need to. They are expected to be strong, take one for the Gipper, don't show weakness, etc. that they have no idea how to deal with their feelings.
True, but girls/women are sometimes allowed to wallow in their feelings rather than being encouraged to take clear action. I mean they are FAULTED about being passive yet they don't seem to get the "training" and encouragement to think through an issue, do something, reassess, and so on. Talking stuff through and thinking it over will only get you so far - you need both self awareness and actions to get through life.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:27 AM

12,968 posts, read 9,651,799 times
Boys in my opinion, I raised two of them, and many times I wished I had girls instead. Trying to raise boys into good men is no easy task these days, especially when your biggest battle will be against pier pressure. I see boys way more than girls in the news for getting in trouble, and by nature boys are more daring and willing to take more risk, and more adventurous. Cops will be watching a group of boys a lot closer than a group of girls. And when people see a group of boys and his friends hanging out, I believe most people think they are up to no good, or have negative thoughts. I have several nephews and nieces, and the girls were never any trouble or got into any trouble, I can't say the same for my nephews when they went outside of the home.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:29 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
I think a boy's role in our society is more narrowly defined. They cannot show weakness OR show great happiness. They must be stoic and show little emotion.

A boy, by middle school, ,will no longer laugh and smile as easily as he once did.

It's now ok for a girl to be a jock and excel at sports but it's still NOT ok for a boy to love dancing or theater.

Old 02-05-2017, 11:43 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
Society has become so impatient with typical "boy" behavior that some 20% of boys in the USA will diagnosed with mental disorders by the time they reach high school and drugged into near-catatonia so that we don't have to go through the trouble of finding creative outlets for their energy.
um, what?

Old 02-05-2017, 12:12 PM

67 posts, read 159,416 times
A lot of interesting views in this thread. Mine is that society is hardest on those who do not conform to its gender norms, no matter what they may be. In most parts of the country, a boy perceived as "feminine" will have a really tough time. Girls may have a slightly easier time (they can wear pants, e.g.; while a boy wearing a dress had better watch his back). But all through life, those whose interests or inclination lean away from the middle for their "type" will face trouble from whatever segment of society they are in at the moment. That will differ from Portland, OR, to Biloxi, and time of life makes a difference too.

In summary, I think that kids who aren't near the median in behavior, interests, abilities, or appearance will face a tough time, regardless of whether they are boys or girls.

And while only females have the state trying to control their bodies in terms of reproduction, for a lot of US history, male bodies were claimed by the state to fight wars. Which is worse? Arsenic or strychnine?

What would be great would be for "society" to have a more open view of what people are, can be, and might be, regardless of sex, gender, or other attributes. Are we not all equally loved by the Creator?

Old 02-05-2017, 12:17 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-NC View Post
A lot of interesting views in this thread. Mine is that society is hardest on those who do not conform to its gender norms, no matter what they may be. In most parts of the country, a boy perceived as "feminine" will have a really tough time. Girls may have a slightly easier time (they can wear pants, e.g.; while a boy wearing a dress had better watch his back). But all through life, those whose interests or inclination lean away from the middle for their "type" will face trouble from whatever segment of society they are in at the moment. That will differ from Portland, OR, to Biloxi, and time of life makes a difference too.

In summary, I think that kids who aren't near the median in behavior, interests, abilities, or appearance will face a tough time, regardless of whether they are boys or girls.

And while only females have the state trying to control their bodies in terms of reproduction, for a lot of US history, male bodies were claimed by the state to fight wars. Which is worse? Arsenic or strychnine?

What would be great would be for "society" to have a more open view of what people are, can be, and might be, regardless of sex, gender, or other attributes. Are we not all equally loved by the Creator?
Agree.

Old 02-05-2017, 12:21 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Quote:
One thing that women have is more freedom to change their appearance...hair, makeup, clothing. It's easier for women to improve their looks as they age. Men are stuck with what they look like naturally
Eh...last I noticed plenty of men change their hair style, grow (or not) facial hair, fix their teeth, get cosmetic surgery, work out at the gym, and keep their wardrobe current. Heck, Remer Grecian Formula? Men color their hair too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting