Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 09:37 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,148,782 times

Advertisements

I had this bad experience I would like to share, correct me if y reaction was wrong.

So I am at the airport with y family, spouse and 2 kids under 5. One of the kids was cranky and upset with his snack. Some school principal comes walking by and with a finger on her lips, gave a loud obnoxious SHHH! towards our direction. I looked at her with a funny look in y face made a comment to my wife, and let it go.

2 minutes later, here comes the shhh lady, with her lap dog in her purse. She does it again! I ask her what is her problem. Are my kids bothering you? She proceeds to tell me she is a school principal , and she knows how to keep kids quiet. I tell her this is not school, mind your business this is a big terminal. Now she gives me a parenting speech, until my wife steps in and tells her to<bleep> ! The gloves came off after that.

2 other families nearby step in , and now we are questioning her as to where are her kids does ? she have any of her own? But now it is non of our business. Now ms shhh crusader lady has her foot in her mouth. NICE!

was I wrong for making a scene? why do people go around doing what this lady did, it is not normal.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 02-10-2017 at 03:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2017, 10:22 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
I had this bad experience I would like to share, correct me if y reaction was wrong.

So I am at the airport with y family, spouse and 2 kids under 5. One of the kids was cranky and upset with his snack. Some school principal comes walking by and with a finger on her lips, gave a loud obnoxious SHHH! towards our direction. I looked at her with a funny look in y face made a comment to my wife, and let it go.

2 minutes later, here comes the shhh lady, with her lap dog in her purse. She does it again! I ask her what is her problem. Are my kids bothering you? She proceeds to tell me she is a school principal , and she knows how to keep kids quiet. I tell her this is not school, mind your business this is a big terminal. Now she gives me a parenting speech, until my wife steps in and tells her to The gloves came off after that.

2 other families nearby step in , and now we are questioning her as to where are her kids does ? she have any of her own? But now it is non of our business. Now ms shhh crusader lady has her foot in her mouth. NICE!

was I wrong for making a scene? why do people go around doing what this lady did, it is not normal.
Normal according to whom? You made the scene so that is normal for you it appears.
You could have ignored the woman and contnued to tend to your own child.
What does the woman having a lap dog have to do with the situation?
It appears your child is not the only one cranky that day and there are more mature, non dramatic ways to deal with things.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 02-10-2017 at 03:22 PM..

Old 02-07-2017, 10:30 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Oh, I feel your pain. As a parent, I give anyone who has to wait in an airport terminal with kids a huge pass.

One of the most embarrassing moments of my life was when I was traveling alone with my 3-year-old and a baby, our flight was delayed, and after a couple of exasperating hours of walking up and down the terminal and sitting at the gate, my cranky toddler actually slapped my face. The only time in her life she ever did that. Fortunately, no one said a word. I can just imagine how angry I would have been if someone had shhh'd or tut-tutted or made an audible comment about Parents and Kids These Days. I'm more the type to burst into tears than fight back, but I don't blame you a bit.

Old 02-07-2017, 12:16 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,148,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Normal according to whom? You made the scene so that is normal for you it appears.
You could have ignored the woman and contnued to tend to your own child.
What does the woman having a lap dog have to do with the situation?
It appears your child is not the only one cranky that day and there are more mature, non dramatic ways to deal with things.
I did let it go initially, i have thick skin. But to come back to add more was crossing the line. Some times educators need to leave work at home. I aint paying for the advice. All this over some catsup on fries. Lol

Old 02-07-2017, 04:20 PM

4,991 posts, read 5,283,788 times
I've had other people say something and sometimes I'm annoyed and sometimes I'm fine with it. I probably would have let it go. Sometimes a child will listen better to a stranger than their own parents.

Old 02-07-2017, 04:51 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,942,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
I did let it go initially, i have thick skin. But to come back to add more was crossing the line. Some times educators need to leave work at home. I aint paying for the advice. All this over some catsup on fries. Lol
Yes, coming back was crossing the line. I also would have given her a pass the first time. But to return to do it again? Nope, let her have it. Principal or not, her "shhh" didn't work the first time, no reason to expect it to work the second. And it isn't as though you were in a restaurant or a store, where you could have removed the child to calm him down.

We get a lot of small children at the charity I work for, and sometimes they are cranky too. We do sometimes try the "shhh" for screamers, but lollipops work much better.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:09 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Yes, coming back was crossing the line. I also would have given her a pass the first time. But to return to do it again? Nope, let her have it. Principal or not, her "shhh" didn't work the first time, no reason to expect it to work the second. And it isn't as though you were in a restaurant or a store, where you could have removed the child to calm him down.

We get a lot of small children at the charity I work for, and sometimes they are cranky too. We do sometimes try the "shhh" for screamers, but lollipops work much better.
I agree. Ordinarily, it's fine when someone tries to good-naturedly diffuse a tantrum, but her actions were a bit much; she made her annoyance known, and really should have left it to the parents to handle it.

I remember one time when my two older children were 3 years old and 16 months old, respectively, my 3 year-old (who is autistic) freaked out when someone laughed loudly. My focus was on getting him out of there immediately to calm him down. I scooped him up, all screaming and flailing limbs, and had my 16 month old grab on to the end of my sweater while we walked out. Some busybody passing by remarked that I should be carrying the littler child and make the older one walk. Seriously, unless you're going to pitch in and help, butt out of a situation when you have no idea of the dynamics.

Old 02-07-2017, 05:11 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,504,547 times
She was obnoxious. Your family responded in kind. She upped the ante, your family upped the ante again. It turned into something pretty ridiculous and unnecessary. I think continuing to ignore (because she was obviously off her rocker-- and you knew she was) would have been the best response. There are crazy people out there, and I prefer to not get involved with them. Great opportunity for modeling for kids how we avoid interacting with people like that.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:43 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post

Agreed! Say something once, get a look. Say something again....LOOK OUT! Her actions were uncalled for!

Old 02-07-2017, 06:49 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,806,228 times
Lot of weirdos now day u jus have to keep it rollin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting