Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 06:47 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times

Advertisements

In the news is George Clooney who turns 56 in a few months is having twins (his first kids) with his wife Amal Clooney who just turned 39. What do you think of this? As someone who is 42 and thought I was way too old to have kids now it gives me some hope that more men are now waiting. I would like to wait a couple more years to have kids but have always got the looks of disdain as people say "oh my that is so old to have kids!!!"

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-38926056

So, is men having kids in their late 40s and mid 50s becoming more mainstream now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 06:50 PM

52,264 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Risk of birth defects goes up after 40 for men, so IDK, 56 is too old in my book, but it's much better than some of the rock stars having kids in their late 60's and 70's.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:16 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
My husband had just turned 43 when our oldest was born, and will be two months shy of 45 when our second is born. He was 40 when we started dating, 41 when we got married. Neither of us had ever been married before, and no kids. You marry later, you have kids later (if having kids is a want). We talked extensively about kids prior to marrying, and were decided that if we couldn't naturally conceive, we would foster and adopt. We were able to conceive without difficulty, ultimately.

My husband's dad was 24 when his older sister was born, 27 when he was born, and 53 when his younger sister was born.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:22 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
In the news is George Clooney who turns 56 in a few months is having twins (his first kids) with his wife Amal Clooney who just turned 39. What do you think of this? As someone who is 42 and thought I was way too old to have kids now it gives me some hope that more men are now waiting. I would like to wait a couple more years to have kids but have always got the looks of disdain as people say "oh my that is so old to have kids!!!"

George and Amal Clooney 'expecting twins' - BBC News

So, is men having kids in their late 40s and mid 50s becoming more mainstream now?
Just because celebrities are doing it doesn't mean that it makes sense for the average person. Kids require time, money, and energy. George and Amal obviously have enough money for anything and they can hire help if they need it.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:23 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
My third child was born when I was 37. Not that old.

Meanwhile, my older brother was still living the Hollywood lifestyle, playing golf in Palm Springs, jetting off somewhere with some stars, you name it.

So about twelve years ago one Saturday, my brother called me.

"Hey, I'm driving down the 105, heading to the beach. Whatcha doing?"
"Oh, we're about to go car shopping."
"Oh, cool. Whatcha going to get?"
"A minivan."

Long pause.

"Well...um...that's cool."
"No it's not."

About six years ago, my brother adopted a newborn son at the ripe old age of 52. About two years ago, they arrived in town for Thanksgiving. While his child buzzed around my house like a tsetse fly, he finally stopped the conversation, looked at me and said, "How did you do this with three kids? I'm...tired all the time."

So, OP, get it taken care of now. Or be like my brother, who'll be raising an 18-year-old when he's 70.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
Kids require time, money, and energy
This is key, and was actually a big reason for us for waiting.

Both of us actually have more time, and definitely more money, than when we were in our twenties and early thirties.

My husband probably has less energy, but I actually have more energy than I did from about age 22 to 36, because I'm no longer having to work zillions of hours a week. That was family unfriendly.

Old 02-09-2017, 07:35 PM

My father-in-law also notes that he's able to be a much more present figure for his youngest daughter, who was born when he was in his fifties, than he was for my husband and my husband's older sister. Because he has been retired most of his youngest child's life, he's been able to be involved in all her activities, whereas his older two didn't have that, due to his work schedule. There are tradeoffs. He and my SIL are close in a completely different way, because he's been around, as a retiree.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:07 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,370,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
In the news is George Clooney who turns 56 in a few months is having twins (his first kids) with his wife Amal Clooney who just turned 39. What do you think of this?
Good for them.

My husband was "only" 36 when our first (together) was born. He would be 39+ if we were going to have another. He is still plenty young, as he says.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:29 PM

52,264 posts, read 52,686,640 times
I think sometimes people don't always think about what's best for the child in the long run. I think sometimes people just "feel" like they want something and tend to do what makes them "feel" good without thinking things through. People in their mid 50's having kids probably isn't the most ideal situation for the kids. I know that there are pro's and con's but IDK, granted people like George Clooney having a lot of money have a leg up because they can get extra help easily. I'm too lazy to look up the stats, but I do know that there are issues for men in terms of birth defects as they age. That may or may not be factor, again no stats in front of me. I just can't help but wonder how much of this is an ego stroking deal for men when they are much older than normal, especially the celebrity crowd. IDK, maybe I'm wrong here, who knows.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:35 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,975,977 times
I have a female friend who is 59, currently raising her 8 year old twins and her 11 year old, all very lively and bright boys, alone. She is doing ok (and the kids are doing great - she homeschools them all) but the aches and pains she gets from having to feed the cows, cats, a horse or two, parrots, umpteen dogs and chickens are a bit much some days. Those feed bags are heavy and it is a long way from the parking spot to the barn, especially after a heavy rain.

Clooney can afford to have someone else look after his kids if he wants to. And there are no monetary worries for that couple I would think. I would worry a bit about George though .. that he may not actually be old and mature enough to be a father yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting