Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 04:52 PM

263 posts, read 230,659 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to say they are definitely having sex and it would do op well to be proactive gently yet assertively discussing with them the situation..

Old 02-20-2017, 05:33 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,662,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
if it was me as the parent , yes, it still might "happen"

Not in my house, however !
Get real, they live together how are you going to stop it. It's not like you can forbid them to be in their own home alone. You can express your displeasure, threaten them, absolutely forbid it but if they want to they are going to. My husband and I were strict parents no guests of the opposite sex when we weren't home, no opposite sex in their bedrooms, no dating until 16, no coed overnight trips etc. None of those rules can be applied in this situation unless parents are willing to split up and maintain separate residences. This is an entirely different situation then most of us will ever face.

Old 02-20-2017, 06:33 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,454,887 times
<snip> I would agree with this guy here

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
OP, what upsets you most? That teenagers are (possibly) having sex in your home? Or that they are step-siblings?

I feel like when you have two teenagers not biologically related and recently started spending a lot of time together, that it shouldn't come as a surprise that feelings may develop. Since they are not biologically related nor even view one another as brother/sister (it's not as if they grew up together from early childhood), I wouldn't make them feel like their relationship is incestuous.

You can forbid them from having sex, but I wouldn't be surprised if they continued doing it. Even if you remove the doors to their rooms, they will sometimes be alone in the house. They are teenagers with raging hormones, after all.

It's going to get complicated because you all live in the same house as a family. It's going to be difficult to make them stay apart. You and your husband need to set them down and have a mature, rational,honest discussion with them.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 02-21-2017 at 07:25 AM.. Reason: orphaned response to a deleted quote

Old 02-20-2017, 08:03 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,992,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
Get real, they live together how are you going to stop it. It's not like you can forbid them to be in their own home alone. You can express your displeasure, threaten them, absolutely forbid it but if they want to they are going to. My husband and I were strict parents no guests of the opposite sex when we weren't home, no opposite sex in their bedrooms, no dating until 16, no coed overnight trips etc. None of those rules can be applied in this situation unless parents are willing to split up and maintain separate residences. This is an entirely different situation then most of us will ever face.
...."how are you going to stop it"......

you start with a simple rule that neither are allowed in the other's bedroom.

Seeing the boy walking out of his step sisters bedroom at 5:am and saying nothing except asking internet posters what to do is certainly not what I would do.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:07 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,734,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelmarvaNative_inCO View Post
Just wanted to say they are definitely having sex and it would do op well to be proactive gently yet assertively discussing with them the situation..
Moderator cut: DELETE

OP should try to get a hold of their cell phones, tablets or puters there may be video evidence, sexting etc...

Last edited by Miss Blue; 02-21-2017 at 07:24 AM.. Reason: disgusting and not pg13

Old 02-20-2017, 08:45 PM

510 posts, read 716,277 times
No, it is not unusual but not a good thing. Often there is coercion involved; sexual abuse is a very profound effect on a person's later life.

Old 02-20-2017, 11:26 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,637,875 times
I don't know if anyone in this long thread has mentioned this, so forgive me if I am repeating what others have already said.

I would seek some counseling with a licensed Marriage and Family Therapist ASAP, both individually and as a family group, to discuss your concerns and suspicions, and how to approach this situation. This is way too big of a family issue to be solved by strangers on the internet.

Your family doctor should be able to give you a referral to someone. Failing that, call your insurance company and ask for a referral. Don't put off scheduling that first appointment, even if it is only for you.

Hugs --- this must be a very upsetting situation.

Old 02-21-2017, 03:03 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
kids having sex in the parents home shows a complete lack of respect as well.
Come on, really? Considering the average 18-25 year old lives with their parents (to my knowledge), they're supposed to get a hotel every time they want to have sex with their partner?

Old 02-21-2017, 06:45 AM

13,480 posts, read 9,020,662 times
Forcing two unrelated hormonal teenagers to live together & you are surprised they may be having sex? You could talk to them, but I expect they would both be mortified, you could lay down the law & forbid them to have sex, but that's not going to work as they will just do it elsewhere or when you are out. And I can't believe some suggest removing thei r bedroom doors! Why not just lock them in their rooms & put metal bars in their windows

At the end of the day they are not related, don't see each other as brother & sister, so the only thing they are technically doing "wrong" is having sex in your house, that's if you have ever actually told them they are not to have sex with anyone under your roof. Just leave lots of condoms in their bedrooms so at least you know they are being safe...

My partners sister has just had a baby with their step brother. They were not raised together & only met a few years ago & both in their 30's. The families thought it was a bit weird at first, but they are not related so no one is really bothered by it now.

Old 02-21-2017, 07:44 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,500,581 times
Seems the OP has been asked and answered.

Thread is closed as it is beginning to wind down with off topic and other undesirable posts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting