Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 07:20 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,961,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
In Texas you have to be 16 to pump gas. I wouldn't be surprised if other states have similar laws.

I used to manage a gas station and I'd cut off the pump if a little kid was using it. The parent would storm in demanding to know why and I'd tell them about the law. When they were done spewing outrage, I'd point out that the kid was the right height to get gas in their eyes if they spilled it. If they still went on about it I'd tell them it was realty strange that I cared more about their child's safety than they did.
I couldn't find the age in my state when I did a quick Google search. I found Indiana and it's 14 there.

I wouldn't let a little kid either but would let a middle school aged kid (to me middle school is 7/8). I was buying and pumping gas when I was 13/14. The house we bought when I was 12 came with a scooter. A tank of gas for it cost me .25 cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 07:23 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,876,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
In Texas you have to be 16 to pump gas. I wouldn't be surprised if other states have similar laws.
In Illinois, it's the same as the driver license age. So it's 16, or 15 with a learner's permit.

Old 02-22-2017, 08:46 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,022,082 times
I used to take kids classes. My nephew is 4 and really into cooking so I got him a lot of kid cooking supplies and I went to thriftbooks and bought a bunch of kids cookbooks for next to nothing. Imo, starting with things they like is the best way to go. Try a pizza station. Have them prep ingredients, line them up and create the best pie.

Old 02-24-2017, 06:32 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
When I was 12 I cooked my first, full, entire holiday meal. Including cleaning the turkey, taking it out of the oven and doing all the sides. So I am pretty sure by 10 I had several things I could cook. I honestly, don't remember being dependent on my mother for meals at that age. I mean, it might have been simple, but I am sure I could cook several things.

My kids are 10 and 11 and cant hardly cook a thing. SO far they can:
Warm up chicken nuggets in the microwave
Make microwave popcorn
toast

That is it...at least that I can think of.

My son (11) can make a cake from a mix (or brownies) without help but wants me to take it out of the oven. He enjoys reading the directions and doing it himself.

When I try to get them involved in cooking, they are afraid of burning themselves or cutting themselves. Part of it is I think I do worry about them and it passes it on to them. They also saw me cut my self very badly when they were early elementary age and it changed how they acted around the kitchen for a long time (I was ok, just tons of blood and a couple dozen stitches)

So I was thinking of ideas of how to help them become more independent in the kitchen and things a kid 10-11 y "should" be able to prepare.
Almost anything in a box, like mac n cheese.

One pan items like, scrambled egg or tacos.

My kids by the time they were 10 were assigned a night of the week that they were responsible for the meal. There were only two rules, you must include a vegetable and the cook doesn't clean. But you have to let them be responsible. If they want fish sticks and mac n cheese every Tuesday, so be it.

Nobody gets over fear through avoidance. Burns and cuts heal. These are important life lessons that cooking can teach them.

Old 02-24-2017, 04:36 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
What about having them watch some of the Tasty Junior recipes on YouTube. They are more kid friendly recipes and maybe seeing little kids make some of the stuff will give them more confidence in their ability to cook.

https://www.facebook.com/tastyjunior/

I started off cooking by making desserts when I was about 6. My mom would do any chopping or peeling if needed and also take the food in and out of the oven. But I would do all the mixing, measuring, and pouring. So maybe have them start with helping you in the kitchen, and slowly give them more responsibility.

Old 02-24-2017, 04:45 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Nobody gets over fear through avoidance. Burns and cuts heal. These are important life lessons that cooking can teach them.
Yeah, they're most likely going to get burn and cuts. It happens, even to professional chefs. Its better for the kids to learn how to best avoid accidents in the kitchen, and how to deal with them when it does happen. My mom never made a big deal about accidents happening in the kitchen as long as I was trying to be safe. However, she did keep a first aid kit in the kitchen, so when I accidently cut myself, it could be taken care of quickly. Then I went back to doing whatever I was doing before I got hurt.

Old 02-24-2017, 05:46 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
My sister just watched my two grandchildren for 3 days while they were out of school. Grandchildren are 11 and 9.

The kids cooked using the recipes while my sister observed. Day 1 was cinnamon rolls which were taken home to momma, day 2 was making pillow cases on the sewing machine, day 3 was crepes.

The kids are self sufficient and willing to work. They helped sister plant daffodils etc the last school break. So I think it is doable that kids that age can cook meals. With observation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting