Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2017, 05:54 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,457,575 times

Advertisements

I would not allow them to play with one.

Of course it is just a cheap board game - just a piece of cardboard that is not evil UNTIL you start playing with it. Many of you have played and nothing has happened - that does not mean nothing will EVER happen. I am not crazy - I believe in God - not super religious.

It seems many of you "doth protest too loudly" that the game is harmless, I wonder why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 07:28 PM

792 posts, read 490,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy in Nokomis View Post
Of course it is just a cheap board game - just a piece of cardboard that is not evil UNTIL you start playing with it. Many of you have played and nothing has happened - that does not mean nothing will EVER happen.
Can you elaborate on what might happen when you start playing with the cardboard game?

Quote:
I am not crazy - I believe in God - not super religious.
What is the threshold between religious and super religious?
Quote:
It seems many of you "doth protest too loudly" that the game is harmless, I wonder why?
The better question is why is this even a question. How many pages would "Would it bother you if you found your child playing with matchbox cars" get? Why do superstitious threads get so much spotlight?

Old 03-07-2017, 10:44 PM

504 posts, read 297,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kejeey View Post
So..I know this is going to sound crazy but night before last our 15 year old daughter had some of her friends over, one of them brought an Ouija board. They were playing around with it in her room when my wife opened went into their room and saw them playing with it. She was NOT happy, and took it away and put it up along with giving some strong words about how bad it is. Now I am not religious, but my wife is and personally to me it's no more harmful than any other board game but obviously my wife views it very differently. I told her she was overreacting but she would hear none of it. They were all upset of course, but nothing they could do now.

To me, it's not a issue at all, but what do you think? I realize this may have a lot to do on whether you are religious or not.
Meh, who cares. What is the issue? Kids having fun, we all did it.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:28 AM

30,701 posts, read 79,339,648 times
Wow. I did not know there were still people like this. However it may be all an act. Some of our posters are likely 12 year old boys having fun pretending to be some wacky adult. A real life role playing game it its best. The clues to this are in the spelling and grammar.

Kids:

Learned is the past tense of learn. Learnt is not a word at all.

You have beliefs or you believe in something, someone believes a fact or theory to be true. No one beliefs anything. You do not have believes.

Not sure it was in this thread, but your common give away mistake is advice vs. advise. Learn the difference if you want to pretend to be an adult.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:25 AM

87,965 posts, read 83,789,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Wow. I did not know there were still people like this. However it may be all an act. Some of our posters are likely 12 year old boys having fun pretending to be some wacky adult. A real life role playing game it its best. The clues to this are in the spelling and grammar.

Kids:

Learned is the past tense of learn. Learnt is not a word at all.

You have beliefs or you believe in something, someone believes a fact or theory to be true. No one beliefs anything. You do not have believes.

Not sure it was in this thread, but your common give away mistake is advice vs. advise. Learn the difference if you want to pretend to be an adult.
Unfortunately, the confusion over advise and advice--2nd or 3rd grade words--is rampant on City-Data, as is the confusion with loose and lose. I guess we should add believes and beliefs to that list. Phase and faze is another.

How did these people get out of sixth grade? Slap their teachers AND their parents.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:29 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,094,225 times
A piece of cardboard and a plastic pointer? No, wouldn't bother me at all - except when they are up all night with nightmares.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:31 AM

30,701 posts, read 79,339,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Unfortunately, the confusion over advise and advice--2nd or 3rd grade words--is rampant on City-Data, as is the confusion with loose and lose. I guess we should add believes and beliefs to that list. Phase and faze is another.

How did these people get out of sixth grade? Slap their teachers AND their parents.
What makes you think they are out of sixth grade? Remember nothing makes a city data poster pretend to be who they really are. That 20 something hottie on the relationship forum may really be a 90 year old guy having a good laugh. Those uber superstitious or uber bigoted middle aged seemingly nutty preople may really be 6th graders giggling the tails off. I am convinced some of the posters in this thread are not actually adults, but are kids pretending and laughing. I know there are some posters who have multiple assumed personalities on CD, but their writing is the same and their mistakes are the same, so it is a giveaway. Sometimes it is all an act.

Old 03-08-2017, 10:21 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,600,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
My aunties worked in a naval stores during the war where many dead sailors uniforms were sent back and kept on the top floor of this old factory...they said very spooky place.. There were six women worked sorting other things for the navy and someone suggested doing the board for fun.. it seems it was quite popular back then... so their having a laugh sitting talking to the board asking questions.. One girl asked who would marry next as four of them were single.. and it spelled out Rena one of the girls , then they asked who will she marry. and it spelled out a very unusual first name Bremner... my aunt said they all went quiet and looked at each other , as this name belonged to a married naval officer who visited the factory , Rena and Bremner were in fact having an affair and later married , but none of the other women knew a thing about it beforehand. is it malice , evil or being playful.. I tried it once with my mother and auntie, My mother who had did this before knew what to ask and said "is anybody there "....nothing. so we had a wee smile over to each other and she tried again.... nothing.. three four times then it started to move going to the YES..... she said "have you a message for anyone... and slowly it went to my auntie... she then asked to be told the message then it started to spell out ...A then L then E... then it stopped and wouldnt move again.... I looked at my mother to see what she would say and she just shrugged and said ALE.. funny word .... but I saw my aunties face , no smile just staring and knew what she was thinking... her husband died only months after their wedding while she was carrying his baby ... his name was Alex. so was her now ten year old son,, so what does it mean, who brings these messages , is it demons, dark angels or what..
The most likely explanation for Rena and Bremner is that one of the ladies knew about it and was trying to freak Rena out. However, you can still ask the question of whether her intent was malice, evil, or being playful.

The most likely explanation for what happened with your aunt is that your mother was trying to comfort her by making it look like her dead husband was speaking to her.

Again, why would demons or dark angels wait to speak until someone opened up a Milton Bradley game board?

Old 03-08-2017, 03:04 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,967,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
The most likely explanation for Rena and Bremner is that one of the ladies knew about it and was trying to freak Rena out. However, you can still ask the question of whether her intent was malice, evil, or being playful.

The most likely explanation for what happened with your aunt is that your mother was trying to comfort her by making it look like her dead husband was speaking to her.

Again, why would demons or dark angels wait to speak until someone opened up a Milton Bradley game board?
Those are the most "reasonable" explanations however, I know people who have used that game and have experienced much more in-explainable scenarios. Things that, I'm sure if you tried hard enough you could come up with some explanation or justification for what happened. But when you know people who have used it and had their friends possessed or controlled in one way or another, you don't think the same of that "game".

Old 03-08-2017, 07:25 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,173,435 times
Yes it would bother me and I don't allow it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting