Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 08:41 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbj03 View Post
My son is 10 years old now. I aspire for him to be a lawyer. Actually he being a lawyer is not my goal; I want him to go into politics, and I think a career in law is the path to politics.
That is really a pretty horrible thing to aspire. Your son is a PERSON. With passions (unless and until you squash them), desires, strength and weakness of his own. The only thing you really get to aspire to is that he be the best HIM he can be.

Quote:
I know some like to just "let the kids be what they want to be". But my personal experience is I wish I have had more guidance and structure when I was young. I now want to provide that to my son.
Guide him to be the best him he can be.

Quote:
So I hope to know how to groom a kid to become a lawyer.

For his sake, I surely hope you don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 09:11 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
If you want him to be a lawyer or a politician, push him to be an engineer or a plumber.

Do you really think he is going to do what you push him to do? The harder you push, the more he will do the opposite. A neighbor and friend was raised by his mother to be a priest from day 1. She directed him, guided him, and pushed him. As soon as he was out of high school, he joined a satanic cult. It was just backlash, he grew out of it and eventually went to college or the military and has an ordinary job now. I think he even attends church (protestant though).

Realize, once he turns 18, he will do what HE wants to do and you will have no say.

Of course you will say "not my boy, my child will be different and will do everything I want him to because I am different and better than everyone else, so what has happened to nearly every other parent who pushes their kid to do something will certainly not happen to me." Then you will push him and push him and when he moves out and goes to school to become a Jazz Bass player, you will feel betrayed. Or maybe he will go to law school, become a lawyer, hate it and kill himself when he does not make partner because he betrayed mama.

If you do have some influence with him by that age any really want to punish him with a career in law or politics, encourage him to get an otherwise useless degree like English, or Philosophy, or something simlar. Then he will have no options but law school or plumbing (and if you love him, you will encourage him to become a plumber instead).

Law is probably the worst choice for a career path right now. With student loans pushing $250,000 and 100,000 unemployed lawyers who all want to become politicians (or get any job that pays more than bartending), it is the path to a lifetime of poverty. Or if he manages to get a job, it is the path to a lifetime of misery. Law has become a horrible profession look at the life/job satisfaction ratings or the substance abuse amongst lawyers. What is going to make your kid stand out amongst the 100,000 other lawyers all desperate for a political position because they cannot find a job? Do you have the money to bankroll his first few campaigns? If not, you can put away $30,000 a year and if you get a good return, and do not use any of it to pay for his education, you may have enough to gt him elected to enough minor positions so he might get noticed and move up with party support.

Of course if you raise him to be really crooked and slimy, teach him to lie, cheat and steal at an early age, he may become a politician and be happy about it. Most importantly, teach him every day that money is the most important aspect of life, nothing matters more than how much money he accumulates. That will make him a good candidate for politics. One of the few businesses that is dirtier and more unethical and unprofessional than practicing law.

Last edited by Coldjensens; 03-16-2017 at 09:20 AM..

Old 03-16-2017, 09:17 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
If you want a lawyer in your family, why don't YOU go to law school? One of my law school classmates was a retired physician who started law school in his 60s, it's never too late.

Then you can set the example for your son, who will follow your example if he's so inclined, and it's a reality that many children of lawyers do in fact follow in that path. If he happens not to be interested in becoming a lawyer (and potentially a politician), then be a good parent and support him as he seeks his own path.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:21 AM

655 posts, read 1,127,887 times
Quote:
OP here. Holy Batman, 54 replies in just a few hours... Thanks for the interest. I will take time to ready all the advises carefully.

But let me elaborate on my goal. This really is not unlike old Joe Kennedy grooming his kid. I think policy making can help a lot of people. Unfortunately in this country, to get to policy making, one has to go through politics.

Well we know how well that turned out for that family! Seriously I don't think there is a better example of what NOT to do as a parent.

Why on earth do you want to choose your kid's career? Do you want him to hate you? I mean if he really wants to be a lawyer then absolutely, provide him all the tools he needs. But there are not many 10 year olds that know exactly what they want to be when they grow up. His life's work should be his passion, which a lot of us don't figure out until we have had life experiences. High school and college should be the time that he finds his passion and path in life.

Don't hinder his ability to find his own path.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:41 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
Seriously? Instead of shoe horning your kid into a career choice, why don't you consider the qualities you'd like to bring out in your son?
Having confidence is important.
That comes from being good at things & finding your gifts. Public speaking in classes like speech & debate, drama, and some groups like 4H builds confidence making presentations at an early age. At his age becoming involved in children's theatre could be great way to become confident performing in front of others, if he was interested. It is important that it is an interest of his.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:13 AM

887 posts, read 1,214,424 times
I would not do that and it may not be in his makeup anyway. What I am saying is I remember asking my daughter years ago what was the one thing about law school she most remembers. Her answer was that it taught her to think in a different way. Your son may have a better mind for numbers or the arts. As courses she just took your everyday LAS courses but her major was rhetoric.

Old 03-16-2017, 10:17 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,587,259 times
Quote:
My son is 10 years old now. I aspire for him to be a lawyer. Actually he being a lawyer is not my goal; I want him to go into politics, and I think a career in law is the path to politics.

I know some like to just "let the kids be what they want to be". But my personal experience is I wish I have had more guidance and structure when I was young. I now want to provide that to my son.

So I hope to know how to groom a kid to become a lawyer. I would like to know what classes should he be focusing on? What are some of the good extra-curricular activities in alignment with this goal? What should he major in college? Any advice is appreciated.

JEEEZ! While you are at it, are you going to choose a wife for him too?

Don in Austin

Old 03-16-2017, 10:28 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
OP, why don't YOU go to law school and go into politics if you think it's such a great career path? I'm not being snarky, but serious.

Old 03-16-2017, 11:48 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Folks, I think we're being pwnd!

Old 03-16-2017, 12:27 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,200,219 times
He's ten and still impressionable. So...two things: 1 year of Latin in the 9th grade (an easy "A" and very useful - especially for verbal skills) and even more important - excellent English Composition skills. The latter should influence where he goes to high school. Both things are the best insurance for getting into law school. The LSAT is somewhat important, but I'm uncertain whether the Kaplan course that works for the MCAT, also works for the LSAT. You have time yet to look into it. If you have designs on a political career for him, he should at least be nominated for class officer in 9th and/or 12th grade, and for a good law school, must graduate HS and UG *** laude..

By the time he's 14 or 15 you'll pretty much know. If not sure - make another baby, rinse, and repeat.

Last edited by TwinbrookNine; 03-16-2017 at 01:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting