Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 09:48 PM

153 posts, read 114,377 times

Advertisements

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.605fad91802b
Horrible situation and I would do the same.

Old 03-17-2017, 06:00 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,920,494 times
I find it hilarious what people will write articles about today, everybody jumping on the "I've been shamed bandwagon." In the past this is something that would have been laughed and joked about for days, now it's an article.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:22 AM

4,972 posts, read 5,232,337 times
I don't know. I'm not a fan of the mommy blogs. I'm also not a fan of the people who go out of their way to tell you how they raised their children and you're doing it wrong.

Assuming the blogger's story is true, I'd say the older woman had some sort of chip on her shoulder and a huge dose of self entitlement. If she gets the privilege to live a long life, it will be an unhappy one.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:08 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,868,979 times
There is absolutely no way of knowing whether her kids "yelps" of excitement were really shrill screams, albeit short, or exactly how soon after "growing restless" they were taken out of the restaurant.

Like the writer herself so astutely pointed out, there are two sides to every story and everyone has their own comfort levels, etc.

I rather think both parties behaved badly for their snotty remarks. The busy-body could have moved or asked for more quiet if they were being noisy. The mom taught her kids that "winning" even if it's mean, is the goal in inter-personal relationships.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:43 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,691,844 times
"She leaned in and said, “Your children are charming to no one but you.”

What kind of person would say this to a total stranger? Well, if the story is even true....it sounds like the offensive woman is bitter because she doesn't have cute little ones anymore.

I also wonder why she directed her snide remark to the mom instead of the dad, or both parents together. Kind of clear that she wanted to attack another woman.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:00 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,355,293 times
The older woman was a "rhymes with witch", absolutely. However, as others have pointed out, there may be more to the kids behavior than the mom is telling. 4 people are always more than 4X as disruptive as 1. Mob psychology happens. 4 kids under 4 can be a real bundle of energy. I've been in restaurants where I've been disturbed by loud drunken adults as well.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:07 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,079,310 times
If a restaurant has a kids menu and a toy to hand out, anyone who thinks that it's wrong for kids to be there needs to get over themselves. And yes, kids are allowed to talk in public, maybe even let out a little squeal of joy every now and again - plenty of adults do too.

And even if the mom was sugar coating some bad behavior, the appropriate thing to do is to call over a server or manager, express your concerns and let them approach the family to try to fix the situation. In this case, it sounds like they had been waiting a little too long to get the check, and that could have been expedited for instance. Plus the manager might comp a drink or dessert for the person who complained, to try to make their experience a little better.

Walking up to a total stranger to say something completely rude was far more inappropriate than anything a child might have done.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:24 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,264,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
"She leaned in and said, “Your children are charming to no one but you.”

What kind of person would say this to a total stranger? Well, if the story is even true....it sounds like the offensive woman is bitter because she doesn't have cute little ones anymore.

I also wonder why she directed her snide remark to the mom instead of the dad, or both parents together. Kind of clear that she wanted to attack another woman.
While I might not use those exact words I have said something similar to a stranger. A couple with a child of about 3 sat down behind me for a 4 hour plane flight. The child immediately began pulling on my seat and other things. The parents were completely ignoring the pulling, kicking, etc. except for an occasional laugh and remark about how cute she was. Maybe they did think I was a rhymes with witch when I stood up, turned around and told them her behavior was not cute. Honestly I did not care what a couple of strangers thought about me. No one, not even a child, has the right to violate the personal space of another. Certainly I should not be expected to be silently uncomfortable for 4 hours because of a misbehaving child and clueless parents.

I'm far from bitter that my children are grown. I love every minute of seeing them become independent adults. I'm not worried they won't support me in my old age or whatever. I do not have to appreciate or tolerate the misbehavior of other's children. I don't even have to think they are cute.

For what it's worth, I've also changed seats on a plane when the adult next to me was wearing too much perfume. It gives me an immediate headache. I guess I'm an equal opportunity witch when it comes to plane travel.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:36 AM

7,971 posts, read 7,317,665 times
I've been in the same situation...and they weren't even MY kids. I was invited for dinner out with my oldest daughter, her DH, my grandsons (ages 3 1/2 and 6 months) and her in-laws (her DH's parents, his brother, sister-in-law and two kids, ages 9 and 7). We got to the steakhouse restaurant, where two booths were reserved...one for adults, and the other one, across from them, the "kiddie" table. Guess who got to sit with the "kiddies"? I sat next to my oldest grandson. The two cousins, aged 7 and 9, proceeded to crawl under the booth, scoop out the butter and eat it with their fingers, throw sugar packs at each other, and spit their chewed food out on their plates.

Boy did, the other diners and the waiter give me the "stink eye"! However, they weren't MY kids and it wasn't MY place to control them. Their parents, seeing them throw sugar packets, just thought they "were making a game out of it". As for me, they thought that since I work in a school cafeteria I was "used to it" (kids acting up). When it was time to leave, their dad just told them to pick up the sugar packets from the floor and put them back.

My grandson, on the other hand, sat up at the table and ate his food. I was proud of him, and told him he was a very good little boy. He was laughing at his cousins and wanted to join them under the table and throw sugar packets, but I wouldn't let him. I kept telling him quietly that wasn't a nice way to act at the table. My daughter (who was holding the baby) kept looking at me with sympathy and rolling her eyes. She told me later they weren't acting as bad as they usually do...they weren't running around the restaurant this time. They aren't 3 years old, like my grandson...they are 7 and 9!!!!

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 03-20-2017 at 10:10 AM..

Old 03-20-2017, 11:41 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,037,995 times
It would be interesting to hear this same story, from the point of view of the woman who spoke to the parent. I suspect she may have a slightly different interpretation of the events as they occurred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting